Pre-installed office 2007 need license key

sydney

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I've just bought a new laptop which comes pre-installed with a trial version of Office 2007.
I have a genuine copy of Office 2007 which I bought three years ago (2 CDs), and I have the license key, it is only installed on my old laptop so far so I should be able to install it on this second laptop.
My question is, when I open Word in the new laptop, it asks me for a license key to upgrade, as at the moment I can only use it 25 times before it downgrades to a less-than-full version. So, do I enter the license key I have at this prompt, or do I use the Office CDs I have to install the whole thing? Another consideration is that the original CD is from the UK, and my new laptop is from Thailand (though the trial Office is in English).
Thanks for your help.

If you plan on removing it from the Vista laptop before entering the key on the new laptop, then yes you can go ahead and enter the serial you already have. You cannot have both machines using the same serial at the same time. If you can't (or don't want to) remove your copy of Office from the Windows Vista system, you must buy another copy.

sydney

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I was under the impression when I bought it that I could install it on up to two computers (it was a student version, from the Ultimate Steal, and faqs there suggest that it can be installed on up to two computers). I don't intend on removing Office from my Vista laptop.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Well you need a license for each individual pc. So if you get one original copy & want to use it on multiple PCs, you'll need that many licenses excluding the pc on which you have originally installed. So either get the copy on your laptop validated by paying a license fee, or continue using the trial version & then renewing it every 60 days by entering a temporary key (which is different each time). Or you could get a pirated version (but don't tell anyone it was my suggestion :D )