Difference between P4 1.8A and 2.4?

G

Alright, I need your help. I was just talking to someone over IRC, and I mentioned how a friend of mine got his 1.8A P4 running at almost 2.4 (23??GHz). I said that my friend got a 550 dollar chip for 180, more or less.

Well, some guy says "i hope you realize the p4 2.4 is pretty damn different from the previous ones"

I was like, what are you talking about??? Am I wrong, or is the 2.4 simply another northwood with a multiplyer of 24? (I know that some 2.4s are being produced from 300mm wafers, but I think that's the only difference)

The only thing I can think is that he thought I was talking about getting a willimete to 2.4, or who knows, maybe even a PIII.

So my question is this: Is there any difference (other than the multiplyer) between the 1.8A P4 and the 2.4 P4, such as extra instructions, architecture, or other specialized restructured elements? Thanks.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
So my question is this: Is there any difference (other than the multiplyer) between the 1.8A P4 and the 2.4 P4, such as extra instructions, architecture, or other specialized restructured elements? Thanks.
Performance-wise, no. So, overclocking a 1.8GHz P4 to 2.4GHz will give you the same performance of a 2.4GHz P4, more or less.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
The guy was probably drunk :) , or does not follow news. You are right, it's a Northwood. I don't recall a Willamette ever reaching so high.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
So, overclocking a 1.8GHz P4 to 2.4GHz will give you the same performance of a 2.4GHz P4, more or less.

If you overclocked by the multiplier, then yes. However, a 1.8A at 2.4 would be on a 133 bus, which would give it a decent performance boost.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
he overclocked his 1.8A

thats pushing the cpu and bus speed beyond that for which it was designed.

fortunately the 'Northwood' P4 cpu is particulary good at overclocking.

of course, doing so voids it warantee. :smile:

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?

digikid

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Just wondering: has anybody OC'd the 2.4? Should be able to get it up around 3.2GHz, no?

:lol: <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
good to have sure, specially for the beginner who will try just dumb things, but for the pro... i dunno

with P3's or amd cpu's they just freeze when they get too hot

ive frozen mine countless times with various overclocking scenarios...
think i prefer a freeze to a slowdown honestly.

easier to spot when its getting to hot LOL
and a definitive method. if its still going, its not too hot :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
with P3's or amd cpu's they just freeze when they get too hot

easier to spot when its getting to hot LOL
and a definitive method. if its still going, its not too hot

Exactly!

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious

I had my P4 hit 70c with no slowdown, you make it seem like you bump the FSB 1MHz and suddenly have a Pentium Pro.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol it was...
but then again my friend was trying to push a 2.0Ghz willmie with a stock heatsink and a crap case.
i imagine it was more than a tad toasty in there. course i never found out what the temps were as the twit didnt even bother with temp monitoring software *sigh*

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 1.8A and 2.4 are identicle except for the multiplier, the 1.8A at 2.4 will likely run some apps about 10% faster than the 2.4 at 2.4, because of the higher memory transfer speed associtated with higher bus speeds. The 1.8A would be running at 133MHz bus speed to get to 2.4, the 2.4 still at 100MHz bus speed.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what are you trying to say? that you're a pro? because you sound pretty stupid to me:

think i prefer a freeze to a slowdown honestly...

...easier to spot when its getting to hot LOL
and a definitive method. if its still going, its not too hot
only a fool would agree that.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I had my P4 hit 70c with no slowdown, you make it seem like you bump the FSB 1MHz and suddenly have a Pentium Pro.

While that is true, his preference still stands though, I too would prefer a lockup to a slowdown I may not detect, but would affect my benchmarks and performance.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
So you'd rather have something lock up and have to reboot than to have a slowdown so small you can't even notice it?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I want the computer to inform me that it's going to freeze first though. Then, it would freeze until it cools down, then it would unfreeze again. That would be the PERFECT thermal protection technique, IMO.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
Ya know, that turns back to the MAIN concept of all this, we need a WARNING sound before thermal thottling or freezing! Thank god non-thermal protected mobos at least use this!

--

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Unless you are satisfied with a beep coming from the case speaker attached to your motherboard, the processor would be required to execute application code in order for the operating system to display any kind of warning. Thus, what would be best is a slowdown to maybe 1% of normal speed, along with the issuing of a warning message. In fact, simply adding a warning message popup to the Pentium 4's current thermal protection would be the best bet.

This is actually something Microsoft could already do. The hardware support is already there. You simply need the operating system support. They could very easily pop up a warning message or play an audio file that said "Your processor has reached dangerous temperatures and is throttling down its clockspeed to remain safe."

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

eden

Champion
No gee, haven't I said that 20 times. Yet practically nobody agrees!
A warning is all we need, to at least know what the heck is going on!
If A user who's P4 would thottle (IF, a big IF) was using Word all the time, ya can't help but wonder where does he know his P4 is now at a 486's performance?

--

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue>"In fact, simply adding a warning message popup to the Pentium 4's current thermal protection would be the best bet."</font color=blue>

Years ago I had a Compac Power PC (Motorola CPU) running Windows NT, and it did exactly that! The CPU had a massive passive (rhyme unintentional) heat sink, and was cooled by "ducts" bringing air across the heatsink and being exhausted through the power supply.

Run the PC without the cover, no air moved across the CPU. After about 15 minutes a messagebox appears warning that the system was overheating and should be shut down.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Because as we all know, Word is strenuous enough to cause a non-overclocked P4 to overheat enough to throttle.

eden

Champion
Lol,
but I meant in the event the HSF fails. Wow you just like to put the best simple contexts into play now do you?

--

FatBurger

Illustrious
If A user who's P4 would thottle (IF, a big IF) was using Word all the time, ya can't help but wonder where does he know his P4 is now at a 486's performance?

You said it, not me. And remember that we've <i>all</i> talked about how a heatsink falling off would take out at least the video card as well. I don't think a heatsink falling off would give slow performance, it would stop the computer from functioning completely.