How's this Laptop for the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XecutionStyle

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
From $1,449.00 to $929.00, so I save $520.
Here's the link.

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB
8 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
15.6" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
Integrated 2.0MP Camera
Industry Standard Touchpad
500GB 7200
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Intel 1000 BGN Wireless
Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
HDMI (Out)

I'm mainly looking for University use for next few years, and also some Gaming. Although I game occasionally only, I want to do so with everything cranked up. So the 15.6" and the video card should go well together. Only thing I find it lacks is an SSD, I'll probably get one for it soon. What do you think about this for the price though?

Do you know of a better laptop for the price that suites me? If you do please tell lol I'd greatly appreciate it.

The only difference between the original model you wanted (086226U) and the "fully loaded" model are:

1. Blu-Ray drive vs. DVD drive
2. Larger but slower 750GB 5400RPM hard drive vs. small but faster 500GB 7200RPM.

If the extra storage capacity is important to you and you are gonna be buying Blu-Ray movies, then I would say it would be worth it. Otherwise, go with your original selection.

I have the smaller IdeaPad Y470 and I am finalizing a review for it; currently doing a series of battery life test. It has a Core i5-2410M and nVidia GeForce GT 550M. It can easily play Crysis with anti aliasing set to 2x and medium quality graphic settings; frame rates are typically between 32FPS and 44FPS during my test. But they have dipped lower and peaked higher. Bumping up to high quality graphics settings dropped typical frame rates to between 20FPS and 26FPS. Since the GT 555M is about 7% - 10% faster than the GT 550M, you should get a little better results.

Even after nearly two hours of play testing Crysis, the Y470 merely felt warm both the keyboard and the underside of the laptop. I can play Crysis with the Y470 on my lap while just wearing shorts. However, using Core Temp 0.99.8, it revealed that the CPU was running pretty hot at 92C while playing Crysis. I don't really know how hot the GT 550M gets because GPU-Z usually crashes in less than 20 seconds; it may have issues in laptops with Optimus tech.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with my purchase, but the high CPU temperature while gaming is a concern for the longevity of the Y470 under prolonged gaming conditions.

XecutionStyle

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Thanks for your response, I didn't even notice the 7200 vs 5400. I'll probably be going with the first choice, although the i5 you spoke of seems a better deal for the price I need the quad core for CAD also. Do you know of any laptops currently on sale or any websites that show if they are? I know the Tomshardware daily deals do a good job at that.

edit: I remember why I can't get the first option - I wasn't viewing the Canadian page. Only the second option is available for me, so I'm thinking just get an SSD to make up for the slower drive (it doesn't come with the SSD for Canada but it's a bit cheaper).

Sorry, I generally do not keep up with laptop prices and sales. I only recently bought a new laptop.

I can't comment on a SSD since I don't have any experience with them other than to say that if you can live with the small storage space and you want Windows and other programs to load faster then go for it. Overall, it will make Windows 7 feel faster, but it will not improve any game or CAD performance. I rather have a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.