OSX for hammer or hammer for Apple ?

Some interesting speculation here:
http://www.theinquirer.net/07040202.htm

The inquirer speculates OS-X would be ported to the hammer platform.. which would make me speculate Apple might base its future computers on the hammer architecture. That would make sense for both parties, and I have been speculating on that for aaages. What do you think ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
46 answers Last reply
More about hammer hammer apple
  1. <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/07040202.htm" target="_new">click</A>

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
  2. SuSe Linux, amongst others, has already been making the transition in it's future versions.

<b><font color=blue>VIA chipsets, SiS chipsets -- all the same, all made in TAIWAN!!!
  3. OS X is not even complete, I doubt they would strip the sprockets for AMD, nor would they sub license the aqua interface as it is Apple's signature. Too many variables make this impossible.

If you click on the supporting links you will find its a joke.

"Looking forward towards the holiday season this year and what do we have? Does M$ have a consumer level 64bit OS? No! Does *ntel have a successful 64bit processor? No! Is M$ server solutions even close to being secure? I think not!"

Using *ntel and M$ makes this more believeable. It does not hit on keywords but still can get your ass sued. And a page this far off is just plain stupid.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.
  4. Indeed, AMD has officially stated that at least one other major OS would be announced as being ported to Hammer and X86-64. Most have assumed the 2nd major OS would be Windows, but perhaps it's actually OS X.

That actually makes some sense.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>
  5. To be able to make any apple component, they would have to make sure their processor runs very cool. If you look at all the apple product they usually have very little noise, and some has no fan. So to be able to do that AMD need their hammer to run really really cool. SOI and .13u may help them achive this but we will have to wait and see.

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>
  6. hmm... interesting. That would be really sweet to be able to put OS on system with windows, so then you could get the best of both worlds. When apple came out with there new Imac I was kinda mad. It is such a nifty little machine that I could almost justify buying one, but I already have a bunch of stuff for my windows based machine, it would be a waste to get one now. I hope that they actually make OSX for AMD platforms.

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out?
  7. Really doubt Mac OS X will be ported to Hammer cause that will really piss off Microsoft if they were developing an x86-64 version of Windows. Who do you think AMD would prefer ? Microsoft or Apple ?...I think we all know the answer to that one.

Although if Microsoft have gone cold on the the idea of x86-64 Windows perhaps this story may rekindle thier interest..who knows ?!

Besides I thought the new OS that was to be x86-64 supported was going to be another variant of Linux i.e 'Redhat' or something...

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>
  8. But in any case, what would OSX bring of any advantage?
    I mean it's low in compatible software, low on games, and Mac G4s still do the better job in 2d. I don't see much advantage, and would prefer a Microsoft solution.

--
    For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
  9. >>it's low in compatible software, low on games, and Mac G4s still do the better job in 2d.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

<b><font color=blue>VIA chipsets, SiS chipsets -- all the same, all made in TAIWAN!!!
  10. Quote:

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Where's the proof?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  11. If you like Starcraft, Mac is great for games. Otherwise...

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
  12. LOL! Do i actully need to give you proof?
    Question is, where's the proof that the Mac OS has lack of compatible software, games, and 3d programs.

If that were true, it wouldn't be the second most used OS in the world. Not to mention, many (large) corporations and universities use the Mac, especially the newer, dual G4, machines specifically for 3d rendering/modeling, movie making/editing, etc. There are tons of applications and games for the Mac OS as well, including your favorite Microsoft Office, Dues Ex, Age of Empire, etc.! True, there are some programs and games that won't work well with the MacOS, but that is also true for ALL OSs and platforms!
    I'm not trying to start a war here on which platform is better, because i actually USE all them, and i like them all too! Hell, I even like the Solaris machines we have in our Computer Science Lab at our university!

13. Hmm, how much market share does the Mac OS have? 5%? Windows has around 90%! I really don't remember the latest statistics, so share a link if you please?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  14. MACs to have good software support.....6-12 months after the Windows release =(

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
  15. Quote:
    MACs to have good software support.....6-12 months after the Windows release =(

i doubt that. maybe for things like MS OFFICE or something, or quake 3 updates. for just about any major business app OS has just as much if not more support than Win. why is it that adobe usually releases updates/versions for the mac before windows? and newtek and i'm sure many other companies that have TONS of software running on the mac side. this isn't 1991 anymore when you were hard pressed to find support for the mac. if all this is actually true, would a hammer chip be ideal for common joe brown that just games, surfs, etc? i doubt it. but if this is true that means, woohoo! FCP for me :D

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol:
  16. Apple is a company that likes pushing the consumer boundaries. They popularised the windowing system, the all-in-one box, and now the small form factor.

With this history it is reasonable to consider that they may popularise consumer level 64bit computers and it seems that AMD will be delivering a 64bit CPU which meets that end.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:
  17. Hmm, what's your point? That Windows has a larger end-user base than the Mac OS? Everyone already knows that...

18. Can you say: G5?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
  19. It would also be too expensive, if it's Apple who is behind it. I don't want to see AMD's reputation for low prices go down the drain just because Apple wanted so.

--
  20. You said "If that were true, it wouldn't be the second most used OS in the world."

I'm pointing out that the MacOS takes an extremely distant second place and there are only 3 main "competitors", Windows, MacOS, and Linux.

21. OS X is over 2 years in the development, this development is for the ability to run existing Apple software titles without emulation. Do some research on game sprockets and how Apple uses them like API's. These sprockets are useless for any other hardware platform, and these sprockets are what make OS X tick.

Even OS X on the G4 is not complete, as you can only run about 10% of the software titles currently available.

Now lets step back to compiling Linux source. This is where the trouble starts as PPC machine type is not always valid so you will have to use the configure.guess file and lots of massaging to get something to compile. Even the most basic stuff like a IRC client might need graphic libraries that are not available in OS X, trolltech comes to mind as they recently ported to OS X. Without the above said graphics library you cannot compile. this is a common problem.

Let me repeat, OS X is not complete for G4 let alone to be ported to any other platform.

The G5 will be 64bit and most likely the first 64bit desktop processor. The OS will run 32 and 64 bit apps simultaniously without recompile. Apple has a awesome game plan on bringing the G5 and 64bit to the desktop (makes Hammer look like a joke from a visionary on PCP)

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.
  22. Why would G5 be the first desktop processor if Hammer has that too? If you are trying to ignore Hammer, then screw you. If you meant as IA64 or something of Itanium's style, I doubt it'll be as efficient for any 32bit like Hammer and again, currently 64 bit isn't exactly needed for any home use.

--
  23. I think you need to go out and buy a Icrap. I I would love to see your fake overclocking crap.
  24. I think he means g5 will be the first destop processor that people actually USE on the desktop. Isn't the hammer aimed at the server market?

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
  25. Why, why are u flaming him?? Fugger hasn't said anything wrong, and is merely trying to convery information! Let him be. Persoanlly, on this thread I have enjoyed his posts.

Sig of the week.
  26. Quote:
    Isn't the hammer aimed at the server market?

Sledge Hammer is targetted towards the server market. Clawhammer will be the replacement for Athlon on high end workstations initially, then within around 6 months seguay to mobile and to dual processor systems.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>
  27. Yes, that was my point.
    I know I wasn't completely clear about it, but I meant that if Eden's comments were true, then close to no-one would be using a Mac.

28. Please, state some games that were developed in the new millenium. Until the release schedule is on par with a PC, there is no point in getting a Mac if you're into Games/Office.
  29. Okay, games maybe....but office applications?
    You are joking, right? Because that is REALLY FUNNY!!!!

At any rate, i don't care what anybody else has to say any further. I'm threw with this thread/topic. I like all OSs, and all platforms, though I do have some preferences over others, the Mac isn't as useless as some make it look like.

P.S. I know i've been bashing Windoze XP in favor of Linux in the past, but i'm trying to stop.....

30. Quote:

P.S. I know i've been bashing Windoze XP in favor of Linux in the past, but i'm trying to stop.....

I deleted Win XP from the machine that came with it. The home version doesn't even allow you to install Personal Web Server, let alone IIS!

So...off it went and on came Win2k

31. Quote:
    At any rate, i don't care what anybody else has to say any further. I'm threw with this thread/topic. I like all OSs, and all platforms, though I do have some preferences over others, the Mac isn't as useless as some make it look like.

yep i do agree. but you know these are the experts here. no game=no good. [sarcasm]hmmm, wonder how they've managed to scrape by and hang in there all these years, you know, seeing as there is no point in using a mac.[/sarcasm]

to recap:
    ahh! no latest game titles for the mac! the horror! i'm sure every powermac owner is on the way to the store right this min to return their computers :lol:

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol:
  32. ~ The G5 will be 64bit and most likely the first 64bit desktop processor. ~

Excuse me, but the SunBlade 100 has been out for over six months at under USD1000 and I assure you it is 64bit!

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:
  33. right i'm sure you know all about apple and it's intent *rolls eyes*

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
  34. actually your completely wrong about that! OS X is a unix kernal. You can actually run Windows on top of it using an emulator, which is really fast. Therefore you can run anything windows can. Of course you can run any unix/linux platform also. My friend has it and i've seen it done. He has a g4 laptop that runs OS X!

please stop running around misinformation.

Thats all i gotta say is that it's not microsoft! IF apple made OS X available for PC i'd jump on it in a heart beat! Make microsoft crap it's pants! Forceing them to lower there outragous prices.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
  35. i guantee the US military already has 128bit processors :) heh ... at least i'm sure they have all the latest techs. Whats there budget again? like 40 trillion or something lol.

36. It's not complete because apple is using the unix kernal. A huge shift to there own product i would imagine.

Now i only heard it was a unix kernal from a friend who is a "UNIX and PC freak". I was shocked to hear he got a MAC. He hated macs. But he said Mac OS X uses a unix kernal. He had windows 2000 pro, slackware linux and OS X on the same machine and he quickly can swap between them. I think it's FREE BSP (or something like that, not sure exactly). The kernal for OS X.

37. You'd probalby be meaning Free BSD which is open-source and not related to Unix.

38. Free BSD is a Unix variant as far as I know. Like Linux, there are a number of Unix variants, all based on similar core code.

Mark-

39. ahhh yes yes yes .. thanks for clearing that up

40. i thought osx wasn't "complete" because of darwin?

41. I can name a dozen 64bit machines available. but that doesnt mean people run them at home.

You cannot go to Compusa and buy a game, word processing, dictionary, or accounting apps that will run on it.

There is a difference.

42. I am joined at the hip with Apple, this marrage will last till 2010 with current cross license agreements.

43. heh nice to see someone with a sense of humor

44. Quote:
    You cannot go to Compusa and buy a game, word processing, dictionary, or accounting apps that will run on it.

Maybe I'm missing your point (does CompUSA not sell Mac software?) but #1 gaming matters not to most business/2d graphic artist users who use Macs, #2 what do you call MS Office 2001?..
    I'm actually bored with this.. why am I defending Mac software? I think going with AMD would be very progressive, but goes against pretty much everything Steve Jobs is about. You'd then be able to compare Mac-AMD boxes with Windows-AMD boxes and realize that Macs are marked up about 300%.

Maybe OSX isn't finished because they started a re-write for x86-64?
    :wink:

Mmmm... Red Hot
  45. Fugger was talking about 64-bit processors, not Mac.

46. Thanks Burger. My bad.

I still don't think that Apple would do this... people have been talking of this type of policy shift from Apple for years.. I don't see it happening IMHO. But I've been wrong before. :wink:

Mmmm... Red Hot
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers Apple Mac OS X