Sign in with
Your question

Need help, unable to hibernate

Last response: in Windows 7
February 25, 2013 2:03:45 AM

This is the laptop in question:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/321957-32...

I am currently unable to hibernate. My laptop tries, then just goes to the windows login screen. I have tried several tricks found around the web, nothing seems to work. Laptop was reformatted about 2 months ago when I installed a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD and 8GB (2x4GB) of A-Data memory. I was able to hibernate for a period of time after that. However, I am unsure of when exactly I stopped being able to hibernate as I only need to do so when traveling.

Attempting to hibernate creates a ~6.2GB hiberfil.sys in the root of C:. I'm not sure if this is the right size or not for 8GB of memory and an 8GB page file (system managed).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : unable hibernate

February 25, 2013 2:56:04 AM

Ran powercfg -energy from the command prompt and got the following:

Spoiler
Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report
Computer Name AQB-LT3
Scan Time 2013-02-25T04:51:34Z
Scan Duration 60 seconds
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Product Name HP ProBook 4530s
BIOS Date 03/09/2012
BIOS Version 68SRR Ver. F.23
OS Build 7601
Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile
Plugged In true
Process Count 69
Thread Count 788
Report GUID {a33c49b6-e089-475f-aa7f-82dda3fd4de9}
Analysis Results
Errors
Power Policy:D isplay timeout disabled (Plugged In)
The display is not configured to turn off after a period of inactivity.
Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1C2D
Port Path
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name Generic USB Hub
Device ID USB\VID_8087&PID_0024
Port Path 1
Device Name USB Composite Device
Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C526
Port Path 1,3
Platform Power Management Capabilities:ACPI _PSS Object Failed Validation
There is a problem with the definition of the ACPI _PSS object on this computer. Installing the latest system firmware (BIOS) may resolve this issue.
Group 0
Index 0
There is a problem with the definition of the ACPI _PSS object on this computer. Installing the latest system firmware (BIOS) may resolve this issue.
Group 0
Index 1
Group 0
Index 2
Group 0
Index 3
Group 0
Index 4
Group 0
Index 5
Group 0
Index 6
Group 0
Index 7
Platform Power Management Capabilities:p CI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.
Warnings
Power Policy:D im timeout is long (Plugged In)
The display is configured to automatically dim after longer than 10 minutes.
Timeout (seconds) 900
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
Information
Platform Timer Resolution:p latform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156000
Power Policy:Active Power Plan
The current power plan in use
Plan Name OEM Balanced
Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
Power Policy:p ower Plan Personality (On Battery)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.
Personality Balanced
Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings
Power Policy:p ower Plan Personality (Plugged In)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
Personality Balanced
Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality
System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
CPU Utilization:p rocessor utilization is low
The average processor utilization during the trace was very low. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low.
Average Utilization (%) 0.79
Battery:Battery Information
Battery ID 19912 2012/06/02Hewlett-PackardPrimary
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Serial Number 19912 2012/06/02
Chemistry LIon
Long Term 1
Design Capacity 46073
Last Full Charge 46073
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported false
S2 Sleep Supported false
S3 Sleep Supported true
S4 Sleep Supported true
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.
This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.
Platform Power Management Capabilities:p rocessor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0
Index 0
Idle (C) State Count 2
Performance (P) State Count 0
Throttle (T) State Count 8
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group 0
Index 1
Idle (C) State Count 2
Group 0
Index 2
Idle (C) State Count 2
Group 0
Index 3
Idle (C) State Count 2
Group 0
Index 4
Idle (C) State Count 2
Group 0
Index 5
Idle (C) State Count 2
Group 0
Index 6
Idle (C) State Count 2
Group 0
Index 7
Idle (C) State Count 2
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2013 3:05:28 AM

Assuming you have plenty free space on your SSD and if all else fails, consider a 'Repair Install' of Windows to re-establish Hibernate function.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-instal...
If necessary you can download and burn to disk Win7 Pro 64 with SP1 from here
http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604...
Data remains intact, but some software may have to be removed and re-installed during Repair Install
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2013 3:07:14 AM

Something wrong with your last post, nothing after 'spoiler'...
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:09:21 AM

dodger46 said:
Something wrong with your last post, nothing after 'spoiler'...

Click in the box.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2013 3:22:41 AM

OK got that. Now, as it happens I have a neighbour's HP 4520s on the bench as we speak, so could do a direct comparison. Ran the same cmd prompt but can't find the report
!
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:28:39 AM

Look under the root of the user directory you are logged in as C:\users\*currently logged in user*\energy-report.html
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2013 3:34:16 AM

Have the file. Would you like me to email it to you? Bit difficult to do side-by-side comparison in the forum! Use PM to send your address if you wish. Hibernate is working on that machine by the way.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2013 3:59:09 AM

See if this works

m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2013 4:09:19 AM

1st thought was a USB device causing the prob, but same for each. Would appear you have ACPI issues, might be worth updating the BIOS to see if that makes a difference.
m
l
February 26, 2013 1:49:25 AM

Updated the BIOS and updated the firmware on my M4 SSD to the latest. No change.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2013 5:43:29 AM

Interesting
http://www.pcdriverrepair.com/acpidriver.html
Worth updating the driver, it's to be found if you expand 'Computer' in Device Manager. You'll probably have to uninstall it to force an update.
Edit
Hmmm. Just tried to do that on my Windows 8 machine, says no driver installed/required (I have sleep issues)...Can only assume ACPI built into the OS, which comes back to a repair install...
Some suggest ACPI responsibility of Manufacturer, comes under Chipset Drivers, could try reloading http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Softwa...
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 27, 2013 5:46:33 AM

It's an ill wind, as they say. Found an ACPI driver for my machine, and 'Sleep' now works perfectly. Probably worth your while to do a complete overhaul of your drivers esp. chipset and MEI drivers.
m
l
March 4, 2013 7:54:49 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
This is the laptop in question:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/321957-32...

I am currently unable to hibernate. My laptop tries, then just goes to the windows login screen. I have tried several tricks found around the web, nothing seems to work. Laptop was reformatted about 2 months ago when I installed a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD and 8GB (2x4GB) of A-Data memory. I was able to hibernate for a period of time after that. However, I am unsure of when exactly I stopped being able to hibernate as I only need to do so when traveling.

Attempting to hibernate creates a ~6.2GB hiberfil.sys in the root of C:. I'm not sure if this is the right size or not for 8GB of memory and an 8GB page file (system managed).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simple solution for this problem you don't have to re-install the windows at all. I have been in this situation for a long time period. Now everything is ok right now.

There are a few checks to make sure the Windows 7 have ability to hibernate. Type these command in Command Prompt (run as Administrator)

1. powercfg -h on

this command will enable hibernate and create a file hiberfil.sys in the root folder of active windows drive. this command also show the menu hibernate in Start -> Shutdown menu.

2. shutdown /h /f

this command to shutdown the computer and force action immediately. anyway after this command executed your windows screen turns blank but nothing happened, then your screen back to logon screen if you press keyboard or move the mouse. I suppose this command will report error like this :

"The system cannot find the file specified.(2)"

this error indicate that windows cannot find the hiberfil.sys in the root folder of the active windows partition.

The solution is to change the active partition to the partition that is supposed to be the active windows partition. Change this in Disk Management (go to Start -> right click Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management -> right click the partition of system windows -> mark partition as active)

Now you have make sure all of conditions to hibernate the system. Try hibernate again, and... voila.... it works!

SOLVED THE PROBLEM

Hope this help you.
m
l
!