Sign in with
Your question

Budget Server-ish comp

Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2002 10:27:32 PM

Hey guys, I was just thinking of making a budget serverish kind of system at home...With a full tower case and all. Itll serve pretty much as a plain webserver to share the cable net , but i was thinking of also using it to store documents, important prog files, and little things here n there...With mapped network drives i thought itd be cool. I was also thinking to run a few game servers such as MOHAA, Wolf, Quake 3 etc...But nothing full on:

Here are the specs:

AMD Duron 1000
Gigabyte 7ZXE KT133A Mainboard
256mb PC-133 SDRAM
40gig 7200rpm HDD
ATX FUll Tower Case with 300 watt Power Suppl
64mb GeForce 4 MX400
SB Live! Value
52X CDROM
Fan + heatsink

Ive already got a scsi card and an old scsi burner i could stick in there also.

Will this do the job? or should i get an Athlon 1.0 instead..I dont really wanna go over the AUS$800-900 price limit i set for myself? Anything else i should improve on/change?

Nong

More about : budget server ish comp

April 8, 2002 10:42:21 PM

That should be fine. It'll more than keep up with your 128k upload speed, and should host games fine. You can always upgrade to an ECS K7S5A + low XP for cheap if you want, too.

You might consider pulling the Live if you don't really need sound, the Live is pretty buggy.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 9, 2002 9:41:22 AM

I have basically the same setup, my old k6-3 with 512 of ram, and a single 80 gig ide drive in it, conencted (via linux box) to cable, also to printer, is running 2k serverand is setup as a domain controller, there my main pc, my "spare" pc and my kids all on the small lan, I sometimes host a counterstrike server which works just fine on it for up to about 10 players (depending on their connection- modem users have probs when theres more than baout 8 or 10 players). The server has all my files/programs/music etc on it, and since its setup on a domain, all "my documents" etc are storeed there.
Works fine on my system, shoudl certainly have no problems on yours.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
Related resources
April 9, 2002 1:51:53 PM

I would go for the 1.2ghz tbird. ESC K7S5A is good choice. Also go for a Radeon 7500 for $75 :p 

I invented ctrl-alt-del but Bill [Gates] made it famous - Dave Bradley IBM PC designer
April 9, 2002 2:50:46 PM

Pay the extra 20 bucks and get the athlon. *shrugs*

also look into the Antec SX1040B FULL SOHO fileserver case. Has a 400 watt power supply and it has great air flow for your SCSI drives and the amount of heat it'll produce.

I HIGHLY recommend this case. So much so that i think you should go and look at it yourself.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
April 9, 2002 6:25:06 PM

isn't that the case that alienware uses?
April 9, 2002 6:28:59 PM

The very same.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
!