Hi all, looking for a new machine as my old Acer died a while back....
1. What is your budget?
Around £450 max
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Have a powerful desktop so more the postability
5. How much battery life do you need?
Doesn't really matter as it'll be plugged in most the time.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games, high spec desktop for that
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mainly for University stuff, programming in C++, Java, Office documents
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Just a few years, till it dies
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Basic DVD drive will do.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Anything that is reliable, my last acer wasn't amazing but they may have improved? HP do very nice looking laptops but I've heard nothing but bad stuff about them - overheating problems?
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Looking for a mid range spec laptop, i3 or possibly i5 if within budget. At least 3GB or RAM.
The 2310M CPU has about a 15% advantage at the same clock speed vs the 1st Gen Core i CPUs.
That would make the 2310M roughly 2.4Ghz vs the i5-480M 2.53Ghz (plus turbo) in comparison.
GPUs - the HD 3000 is about 3x the GPU power (roughly equivelent to a Geforce 310M or HD 5450 graphics cards) vs the Intel HD.
There's probably an advantage in the potential resale value of the 2011 model over the 2010 model.
hmm, so it's a pretty close shave between the 2nd gen i3 and the older i5, I would imagine battery life would be better with the 2 gens. I think it's between either the K series asus or the Acer now Just got to figure out which!