Sign in with
Your question

Computer not booting!

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 5:11:10 AM

Recently installed a brand new WD 500gb HD. With that, I am attempting to install a copy of windows 7 pro. Boot screen acknowledges mobo, processor, HD and ram. Once past that screen it continues to say "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key.". I have the cd/dvd rom set as the boot device. Yes, drive works. This is not the first time I've done this kind of work on a system and am very frustrated as to why this is an issue. PLease Help

Nick

More about : computer booting

a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 5:15:41 AM

A new unformatted hard drive? If you have an XP installation CD, try formatting the new drive with that. Then see if the Windows 7 installation disk is recognized after the format.
m
l
May 27, 2010 2:32:39 PM

sounds like you haven't set the 1st boot device to your DVD/CD drive, you should have an option in the bios that should boot up into the install process
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2010 1:11:22 AM

Bage, yes a new unformatted HD and no, i dont have an XP install disk.

collie, yes ive selected it as the 1st boot device. was actually the first thing i did after i turned it on for the first time with new HD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2010 1:30:33 AM

Well, you have to assume something is wrong with the HD. I would try using an XP installation disk to format the drive and if that failed I would RMA the drive. Check the Western Digital site for a suitable bootdisk that can detect the drive and possible format it.

http://support.wdc.com/?wdc_lang=en
m
l
May 29, 2010 7:43:47 PM

Hello nsa538,
Have you tried installing Windows 7 with USB Flash Drive? I use USB flash drives all the time for OS install it works perfectly - lot faster and no DVDs to get scratched and damaged! :-)
You can download the USB tool for free and copy your Windows 7 ISO to the USB. Complete instructions can be found here:
http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool
Thanks,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
!