When will the Claw Hammer be released?

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Umm... yeah, when will it? From what I have read, it sounds very revolutionary! I can't wait!

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out?

FatBurger

Illustrious
About the same time the sun turns into a lump of coal the size of my fist. Bring a flashlight to see with. Oh, you might want a sweater too, it could get a bit chilly.

Seriously though, it's supposed to be by the end of the year, by the very latest. We'll see.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Clawhammer will debut in Oct/Nov 2002 most likely in limited quantities, therefore it will be extremley hard to get hold of one.

I believe Clawhammer won't hit mainsteam until Q103. As for its performance will have to wait until reliable benchmarks have been posted.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

G

I think it's better to wait about 6 month after lauch before buying. Errata has to be fixed, prices has to come down, yield and frequency has to go up, etc.

So probably at the end of Q2-2003 would be a good time to buy. But then of course we have the Prescott arriving, so we'll have to wait and see how it performs, and then wait a bit more, and so on, forever.

/Copenhagen

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I totally agree with you there...I wont be touching a Clawhammer until 2H03 when most of the intial bugs with the processor/chipset have been resolved.

I will also be keeping a close eye on the Prescott when it is released before finally making a decision of what CPU to buy in 2003.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
well, I guess waiting is half the fun;) But I need to upgrade soon and dont want to make 2 leaps from a palamino to the hammer. And what is AMD's obbsession with horses and whacking devices?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've often wondered that. Intel made it simple, naming their cores after places in Portland...at least until Northwood came along. Nobody knows what that's supposed to be.
But AMD I guess just thought that horses were good and that a Hammer is a good visual name.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
And what is AMD's obbsession with horses and whacking devices?
AMD's dream is to perform like a race horse and to whack Intel. :tongue:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah I'm sure you guys saw that chip or what was it with the Intel notes on it with the Hammer above it and then the next pic showed the Hammer destroying the notes? I found that quite humorous. :lol:

FatBurger

Illustrious
and then the next pic showed the Hammer destroying the notes

I didn't see that one, I'm sure it's fake, especially since the notes were on the Hammer's motherboard.

It was the five note Intel jingle you can hear at the end of every commericial on TV.

eden

Champion
I dunno about waiting so long. I mean the Palominos were quite stable from start. You also got samples that will most likely be passed on to people like Tom for testing stability, and I am sure with current technology, AMD will be able to make sure these chips are fully functional. Not saying it will be flawles, but have a little more confidence please!
My best shot would be to get the PR4400 coming in the next quarter, I mean hey, 1000PR jump is big for 1Q!! This as well as VIA's performance increases with their chipsets, would be nice. But then again, technology advances all the time, Prescott arrives, you then wait more. Then AMD announces a new Hammer, then you wait even more. I say just go for what's available and stop shooting for an uncertainty of the future.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Palomino was just slightly less of a technological change than Hammer.

FatBurger

Illustrious
As I said, the Hammer is much more of a technological change than the Palomino was. It will be more difficult to get working correctly, I'm not saying they won't be able to.

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Forgive my n00bism, but what do you mean by 4400pr and 1000pr? I think your right about waiting for uncertan technology to come out. I mean most software doesnt need that much hardware so to speak...

eden

Champion
PR is the rating given to AthlonXPs. Such as XP2000. Well ClawHammer debuts at 3400. Later on next year, a PR4400 will come out, but not so far away from the 3400 one! This is of course due to the high IPC of the Hammer which increases the PR relativity.

--

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Hey, i'm still excited to see the Barton with .13 SOI. I'm buying one when it comes out for inexpensive (hopefully AMD stays well priced) 32bit processing pleasure. Any ideas on possible PR??? I've got high hopes for Barton...

"When there's a will, there's a way."

eden

Champion
Eeeshh you shoulda invested your high hopes on the Hammer instead!
Barton may not even come out! If AMD finds the waste to create a new core with SOI, well wasting, they will cancel it. I personally don't see how they will fit this core and release it a few months before Hammer, thus wasting silicon and fab space. However Hammer will be fully SOI, with an IHS, and thermal protection, and soon 0.09m, so it will be very nice to ramp in clock speed, and add that to a high IPC! Should be pretty huh? I hope so, and that's where you could have high hopes for it!

--

TRENDING THREADS