How can you tell what CPU you have?

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
I "bought" an XP 1700 system. But looking at 3Dmark 2001 and DirectX8.1 setup files, they say I'm running at 1.111 Ghz or something.

Isn't it supposed to be 1.47 Ghz or something?

thanks.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
I don't see that option in the BIOS (under any of the headings).

What am I missing? I had it in my last computer. Also, I only seem to have settings for SDRAM when I have DDR RAM.

Weird stuff. Is there a command I have to enter to get more menu options?

thanks.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
OK, I think I found the FSB setting (though it doesn't say FSB). Why do I have to change it to make it run like it *should*? Do I void my warranty?

Don't seem to have DDR settings.

thanks.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
OK. It didn't seem to like it when I tried. When I exited the BIOS the screen went black and nothing happened. I hit reset, returned the settings to the default and the same thing happened. I hit reset and just let it reset. Not too keen on doing so again. But since I'm not breaking the warranty....

I've had this computer for not even 2 days now, and I've had more trouble..........grrr.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP VIA KT333
w/ AMD XP 1700, Radeon 8500, 256 DDR RAM (PC2700), SB Live! Value etc.

thanks.

PS: Anyone know how to deal w/ flickering and lockups (can't Ctr Alt Del out) in 3D apps? Computer is pretty useless if it cannot even run 3D games (would have gotten something cheap).

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Jeez, where did you "buy" this system from? It seems like you're having a lot of problems and things aren't configured correctly.

Or did you put it together yourself and are trying to be funny when you say you "bought" it?

If you really did "buy" it from someone, take it back and tell them to configure it properly.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
The "" were because of the CPU running at 1.111 when it should run at 1.47 or so.

I purchased the computer at Atic in BC. I installed Win 98SE myself. I would have thought the BIOS was accessable regardless of whether or not Windows was installed (so the CPU should be clocked properly).

I'd rather fix it myself than take it back (if possible). Atic isn't exactly renoun for their customer service. I was kinda hoping it would be put together properly in the first place, and all this could be fixed by getting some settings right. *sighs*

thanks.

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
your mobo doesn't have an BIOS adjustable FSB, the only bios setting you have is to set your ram to 333, instead of 266,

to fix your problem you need to flick a dip switch, the switch you need to move is labeled "SW1" and you should be able to find it opposite your PCI cards, and above your dual bioses, you want to make sure that this is switched down, (towards bioses)

good luck, hope this helps

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
Oh my. I really know nothing about hardware. WTF did they set it up this way? I don't think I have those RAM options in my BIOS, either.

I do have something called: CPU Host Clock (Mhz)

That have a similar function? I notice it goes to 133.

thanks.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
'K. Thanks.

I didn't realize you can increase clock speeds by 1 Mhz. It goes from 100-134. New feature on KT333 boards?

PS: Do I still have to flip that "switch" on the mobo?

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
hmm, well looks like you have both options... still, if you ever open up that case 'o yers, i would recommend making sure it is set "down"... btw, the manual for your board is <A HREF="http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/user_pdf/e_7vrxp_1101.pdf" target="_new">here</A>

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
I set the CPU Host Clock (Mhz) to 133 Mhz...and all hell broke loose. It wouldn't boot properly from the BIOS (after save and exit) and when I hit reset, it began to load...then the screen went black and I had horizontal lines running down the screen. Scared the [-peep-] out of me :(

So I set it back to 100 and I'm still at 1.1 Ghz :(

BTW, I set the SDRAM to 333 hz, but I don't notice any difference.

Should I flip that switch to see if it'll work, or is there something wrong? (should going to 133 Mhz work?)

Thanks!

PS: I have the manual (retail version)

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
That part about the SDRAM 333, leave it on 266 for now...

try the dip switch, if that doesn't work... call your store and bitch...
you might also want to check the multiplier settings while you are at it...

also what is your PSU?

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
PSU? Powersource? Landmark 298 300 Watt

I don't think this mobo has a multiplier. If it does, I can't find it (unless it is the CPU host Clock).

I'll switch the RAM back to 266. Will I ever want it to 333? If so, why?

thanks.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
LOL! Damn! I can't even figure out how to open the case on my PC!

Getting this computer has been a very humbling experience :(

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
ok, i will try to sort this out for you...

If you feel comfortable (and able to take the case off) i would recommend doing this yourself, as you will learn quite a bit, and will feel more comfortable with your computer...

... however, i will except no fault for anything that goes wrong during this process...

<b>1. Reset your BIOS settings to Optimized defaults</b>
- Enter your BIOS (DEL at bootup)
- Hit F7 (or choose the "Load Failsafe Defaults"
- Hit "Y" and enter
- Save and Exit your BIOS
- Shut down your computer

<b>2. Open your computer case </b>
- Look at the back of your case, try to figure out how it opens (will most likely need screwdriver)
- If your case has panels, rather than a "cover-all" make sure you take off the side that the motherboard is NOT on
- I generally unplug almost everything when working on the "inside" however i leave the power cord to the PSU in, for the ground.
- if you are touching components, try to use one hand to hold your computer case, if you need both hands, touch your case before you touch your computer (this will minimize shocks)

<b>3. Check settings </b>
- Locate the dip switches for your FSB and multiplier, they are labeled as "CK_RATIO" (multiplier) and "SW1" FSB

- Check your settings for CK_RATIO, the first four should be the same, check your manual (pg 13 in the online version) for pictures and settings

- Check your setting for SW1, you want it in the off position, which is the towards the bottom of the board

<b>4. Check system </b>
Plug everything back in, (leave the case off for now) and run WCPUID (<A HREF="http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html" target="_new">download here</A>) to check the speed of your system, what you are interested in is the "internal frequency" and the "system clock" they should be ~1466 and 133.3 respectively, if not, take your computer back to the shop...

good luck!

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
hmm, it depends on what that setting actually does, maybe...

i will see if i can find out for you...

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
when you are done this, check to see what your "CPU host clock" setting is, if it isn't 133, try setting it to 133... again g'luck

FatBurger

Illustrious
I didn't realize you can increase clock speeds by 1 Mhz. It goes from 100-134. New feature on KT333 boards?

The ability to increase the FSB in 1MHz increments is completely chipset independant. My Abit TH7II-RAID (P4 i850 board) can go from 100 to 200 in 1MHz increments. There are a couple of KT266a boards that allow the same thing, but I don't remember offhand which ones.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
Thanks guys.

I might have to take my computer back, anyway! Apparently my 300w power supply can't handle the load :(

I take it replacing *that* is more complex than flipping a switch ;)

I may just get this thing running yet.