Sign in with
Your question

Why so slow?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 11, 2002 4:49:51 AM

My computer has recently started to lag and slow down. It never had done so before. I have defragmented many times with Diskeeper but it still is slow. I am running Win XP so it is difficult to reformat. It has been giving several Virtual memory is low errors.

I am running
AMD TBIRD 1.4
256 DDr
32mg Geforce 2 GTS

More about : slow

April 11, 2002 9:08:29 AM

is ur HDD full?

how do you set a laser printer to stun?
April 11, 2002 11:31:26 AM

check your task manager

no odd programs listed?
spyware, trojans and missbehaving applications can be annoying

ad-aware is good for removing spyware... may not fix your problem, but no spyware is always good :) 

could also try increasing the size of your swapfile

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2002 3:48:17 PM

I agree with rcj, this problem is frequently caused by an overstuffed hard drive.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 12, 2002 5:42:02 AM

My windows is running on a 40 gig 7200 RPM HD with 60% free space left. I have noticed the most lag or hic ups while running Internet E and Windows Media player.

I did the Ad aware but am still getting lag.
April 13, 2002 1:06:07 AM

Low virtual memory? How big is your page file? You can check this by right-clicking My Computer and clicking Properties. Go to the Advanced tab, then click on Performance Options. Where it says Virtual Memory, click the Change button.

I usually set the Initial Size to 500 MB and Maximum Size to 500 MB. (It's better performance-wise to set them the same). You can increase it to 1000 MB/1000 MB if you need to.

See if this helps...
April 13, 2002 5:19:49 PM

turning off the cartoon xp interface might help

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
April 13, 2002 5:52:51 PM

well... i know you aren't looking to spend money, but 512MB really helps in win xp...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
April 13, 2002 8:00:55 PM

In regards to spyware... did you hear about the bundle of software that Kazaa was including in their download? Apparently, somewhere in the license agreement (that nobody reads), you allow Kazaa to install a piece of software that uses idle CPU time on your computer: distributed computing. I'm not even sure what they're calculating...

Knowing how Windows sucks (or at least used to suck) at multitasking, this background process might just take over your whole computer although it's only supposed to use "idle CPU time". :smile:

If you feel really adventurous, try and install Mandrake Linux (easy installation; you'll need a partition, though) on a 2-3GB partition on your computer and see if IT runs slowly. OR, just get rid of Kazaa, assuming that you have it installed.

:lol:  <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
April 13, 2002 8:02:53 PM

Geez, 512MB to run Windoze... :lol: 

:lol:  <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
April 13, 2002 10:57:16 PM

Quote:
In regards to spyware... did you hear about the bundle of software that Kazaa was including in their download? Apparently, somewhere in the license agreement (that nobody reads), you allow Kazaa to install a piece of software that uses idle CPU time on your computer: distributed computing. I'm not even sure what they're calculating...

You can uninstall that(and use ad aware and the spoofed cd_clint.dll to have spyware free kazaa.

The distributed computing clinet is called b3d projector, it is in your add remove programs list, remove it and unless you update kazaa(or they do it for you, bastards) you will be safe from the cpu hijacking.

PS: it is ironic that people who are stealing music and movies object to having their own cpu idle time stolen.....just a thought heh.

PPS: Yes I steal movies and music, and I am not being holier than thou, my kazaa is spyware free, and I intend to keep it that way or move on.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
April 13, 2002 10:58:55 PM

Quote:

By the way, that has NOT gone into effect yet, and no one is being used YET, so this is not the cause of his slowdown.

I bet he has set his hdd to indexable and thats what is causing the slowdown, but with the limited info given its hard to make a call.

April 13, 2002 11:14:54 PM

Quote:
PS: it is ironic that people who are stealing music and movies object to having their own cpu idle time stolen.....just a thought heh

I agree, and what's worse is that it's actually legal for them to take the idle CPU cycles, since everyone agreed to it.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 14, 2002 12:06:22 AM

another alternative is kazaa lite. You can get it here <A HREF="http://www.refosearch.tk/" target="_new">http://www.refosearch.tk/&lt;/A>

basically it's kazaa without the spyware.. has worked fine with me and ad aware detected no spyware after installing

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
April 14, 2002 2:54:35 AM

yep
when i heard of the new spyware with kazaa that was my que to switch to kazaalite. all the kazaa fun, non of the garbage.

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?
April 14, 2002 4:51:57 AM

Pfft, at times when Kazaa is so useless, I prefer the fully functional DirectConnect. You have a much wider and broader world of files, different servers. If only you had a worldwide search function rather than by server ftp.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
April 14, 2002 5:33:35 AM

i use IRC exclusively for my um, needs...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
April 14, 2002 7:17:00 AM

Ok I changed my paging time from 384-768 to 500-500 and I also got 256mg more ram.

Anyone know why RAM prices have climbed so much?
In November 246 DDR PC 2100 was $40 now it is $80.
My friend had some extra sticks of it he had purchased back in november so I just so I bought it from him.
April 14, 2002 7:27:11 AM

Quote:
Anyone know why RAM prices have climbed so much?
In November 246 DDR PC 2100 was $40 now it is $80.
My friend had some extra sticks of it he had purchased back in november so I just so I bought it from him.

cause dram companies were losing money on each dram chip sold, and they were hurtin alot, the prices are returning to normal levels.

!