Sign in with
Your question

New names for Hammer?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 11, 2002 9:05:17 PM

<A HREF="http://amdzone.com/#8" target="_new">http://amdzone.com/#8&lt;/A> has posted what they think could be the two names most likely to be use by AMD for the Hammer.

I got a kick outta them, they make me think of transformers (not the ones that have to do with electrical lines, but the cartoon)

More about : names hammer

April 11, 2002 9:57:09 PM

IIRC, AMD took a whole bunch of other stupid sounding TM's out before the Palomino, and everyone was speculating about real names. I doubt AMD would abandon the strong Athlon brand, I would vote for something like Athlon Hammer, or Athlon XP64. They haven't been terribly creative in the past.

Whatever happened to AMD Marathon?

Mmmm... <font color=red>Red Hot</font color=red>
April 11, 2002 10:38:02 PM

Athlon XP64 would be cool....i would vote for that... but then again, it's not the Same core as the XP chip, it's gonna be the .13 so i don't think called it the Athlon XP64 is a good move, the HAMMER sounds AWESOME and Intimidating, "THE HAMMER will CRUSH the P4" that's cool sounding!

This Community is like a Second Family!!
Related resources
April 12, 2002 12:53:57 AM

No, Athlon is for K7 architecture, I doubt they'll keep it, they haven't made a very big public appeal so far so that Athlon has to stay like Pentium has for the market.
A new name is needed, but ClawHammer is definitly not bad. It would sell easily, at least to me!
Picture it on the shelves: AMD ClawHammer 3400, future computing...
Quite nice! Maybe they'll add ClawHammer XP for the run.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2002 1:23:02 AM

Since its esentially a doubled up Athlon, why not call it Bi-Athlon?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 12, 2002 1:29:59 AM

This reminds me of the talk about the upcoming Pentium 5. Someone had it in their sig that the "5" is pretty redundant. Should just be the "Sexium".

So if AMD made it the Bi-Athlon.. there would exist the possibility of a "Bi-Sexium" from Intel.

Ok, sounded funnier in my head, lol.

Anyways, personally I couldn't tolerate an AMD Multeon. That's so lame. AMD Marathon makes sense to me.

Mmmm... <font color=red>Red Hot</font color=red>
April 12, 2002 8:16:28 AM

bi-athlon....
i can see the marketing slogan now...
"the CPU for lesbians!"
ROFL.

i think not.

XP64 or XP2 are interesting considerations though.

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2002 12:53:15 PM

The Biatholon is an Olympic sporting event that consist of skiing and target shooting.

April 12, 2002 1:36:30 PM

That was Hilarious...i was actually going to say something to that effect! LMAO

This Community is like a Second Family!!
April 12, 2002 1:43:30 PM

Keeping it Hammer for Clawhammer and Hammer *something* (Like Hammer MP or Hammer XP) for sledgehammer I think would work well. A CPU named Hammer may appeal to those less computer/technology savy. There's a lot of people who don't even know how to pronounce Pentium (heard it pent-chum), but no one could get Hammer wrong.

I agree, those trademarked names are retarded. Metaron, bluh. It just doesn't flow like Pentium or Athlon.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2002 2:18:39 PM

Agreed, though my vote would be for: Athlon64: Designed for Windows XP 64. that should hurt intel ;-)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
April 12, 2002 3:32:33 PM

Only problem being when people try to run a Hammer with Windows XP 64-bit and it doesn't work, and/or Microsoft and/or Intel sue AMD for lying, and/or there is a class action lawsuit against AMD for false marketing.

(Hint: Windows XP 64-bit is for IA64, not x86-64.)

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2002 4:18:26 PM

Yeah of course.. that was assuming (well.. hoping) MS launches a 64 bit (x86-64) capable Windows.. whatever they may call it then..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
April 12, 2002 11:09:27 PM

I'll just put on my INTEL troll hat...

How about 'Poweron' as that is what you AMD geeks will have to keep doing... blah blah blah

Now the AMD troll hat...

How about 'Crapon' as that is what it'll do to Intel

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek: 
April 12, 2002 11:16:29 PM

'Athlon' implied 'Athleticism'

Maybe they could imply 'energy' by calling it 'Enron'...

Or maybe that has some negative connotations now ;-)

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek: 
April 12, 2002 11:19:09 PM

Maybe?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 12, 2002 11:20:57 PM

what no clydesdale? i would have figured if the xp was palamino, the hammer would surely be a clydesdale.

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol: 
April 12, 2002 11:29:29 PM

Too late, Palomino was the core name. It would've had to be Clydesdale.

Hmm...if 'Athlon' came from 'Biathlon', then continuing the tradition of taking the first two letters off of Winter Olympic sports:

AMD Bsled
AMD I Jump
AMD Ge (from the Luge)
AMD Eed Skating
AMD Igure Skating
AMD Rling
AMD Eleton
AMD Oss Country Skiing

April 13, 2002 12:02:24 AM

I think the ClawHammer should become 'Demron' or 'Democron' implying democracy, a chip for all people.

The SledgeHammer could be 'Mercron' or 'Merculon' after the Roman god Mercury (Greek Hermes) the god of Commerce, Speed and in a cheeky dig at Intel ... Thievery (as in they will steal their market share).

April 14, 2002 3:46:41 AM

geeez
methinks you are "fullofcrapolon"
rofl
:smile:

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?
April 14, 2002 4:00:25 AM

harr-harrrr!!!

how about "smokeadoobeeron"???
not funny. :( 

:lol:  <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
April 14, 2002 7:26:47 AM

The "-on" endings suggest to me those names (opteron, mutaron) may be intended for the value processor market. Dur-on celer-on

But I agree they are gay names. I rarely refer to chips by their code names anyway, just their speed and basic architecture. Like the 1.4 DDR, or 1.66 (ddr is understood).. So i really dont care what they wind up calling it. Having said that, they should call the chip "Time".
So the name is Hammer Time. THen get M.C. Hammer's career started again. Imagine a CPU with its own theme song :) 
For you young folks, just look up mc hammer with your favorite PtP program.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
April 14, 2002 8:29:01 AM

I think they should keep the hammer name and call the first motherboard Thor.

Mighty thor with his HAMMER will crush the competition.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
April 14, 2002 8:41:05 AM

This would be very nice :)  Except the board is already name Solo.

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith
April 14, 2002 2:57:08 PM

From a marketing perspective, i would think they should call if the Athlon XP 5, people would say, wow! i could have a lowly pentium <b>4</b> or a whopping Athlon XP <b>5</b> it must be so much faster, because it is 5! (seriously a lot of people think like this)

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
April 14, 2002 4:14:02 PM

The Amazon!

pike
<font color=red>Forum Protector of Women</font color=red>

Buddha, Mahomet, Jesus and Confucius! They once cared for us, perhaps they still do!
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 8:13:42 PM

So, pike, how long have you been a feminine protection device?

April 14, 2002 8:22:51 PM

Quote:
Except the board is already name Solo.

Solo is the name of the company that manufactured the prototype motherboard AMD has used. I don't think that name has anything to do with the chipset.

April 14, 2002 8:25:59 PM

Hahaha :-)
Well crash, this is a new thing and I'm still discovering it! :wink:

pike

Buddha, Mahomet, Jesus and Confucius! They once cared for us, perhaps they still do!
April 14, 2002 8:29:35 PM

But the chipset is also called something like Solo Chipset IIRC, with the 8000 number.

--
April 15, 2002 1:54:52 AM

From Anandtech's coverage:

Quote:
AMD's reference board was present at the demonstration and like the ClawHammer CPU being run, the board featured A0 steppings of the two parts of the AMD-8000 chipset that was used.

Quote:
The AMD reference board goes by the name Solo, and is a pretty standard ATX motherboard.

You guys are right, nevermind.

April 15, 2002 11:46:36 AM

Actually you are, I may have mixed both names together making a new chipset...

--
April 15, 2002 3:53:58 PM

Whatever they use, I hope that they give the poor name of 'Athlon' a break. I mean honestly, Athlon, Athlon B, Athlon C, Athlon 4, Athlon XP ... if they keep that up, they'll become Intel. I mean geeze, the Pentium name needs to be put to rest too. It has been used for <i>way</i> too long. (Considering that it was meant to just be a trade-markable brand name to denote that it was an 80586.)

Wouldn't it be a wonderful concept if the ClawHammer was marketted as a ClawHammer, the SledgeHammer was marketted as a SledgeHammer, and the Prescott was marketted as a Prescott?

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>
April 15, 2002 4:29:25 PM

Prescott is still a Pentium 4, and I'm sure it will be marketed as such. But I agree, it's long past due for "Pentium" to be gone. Intel has said there will be no 'Pentium 5', though I don't remember where I saw that.

Quote:
The AMD trademark filings were first reported by the AMD news site AMDZone.

Yeah, we basically saw the article.

April 15, 2002 5:52:26 PM

Sure your not thinking of no GeForce 5?

I AM Canadian
April 15, 2002 6:11:26 PM

Yeup

April 15, 2002 8:19:22 PM

Even still, to me Athlon is a nice name, it looks and sounds powerful.
BTW Pentium is no unique name too, it's also a derivative from one of the Lanthanides or Actinides on the periodic table, look up for Unhillipentium or something like that. As for Athlon, it is derivative of Bi or Triathlon.

--
April 15, 2002 9:19:15 PM

It is the joy of marketting to take perfectly good products and combine them with perfectly bad names. For example, I write software for a low-temperature device called KRYO-FLEX. Amazing how marketting never cares about those little things like spelling, incomplete words, or just making up words for that matter.

<font color=red>Marketting: Well, we wanted the <i>feel</i> of the word, but something that we could trademark.</font color=red>

<font color=green>Me: Next time, just name it Fluffy-Bunny-Pants. Websters can't keep up with the dictionary that you're writing.</font color=green>

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>
!