New names for Hammer?

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
<A HREF="http://amdzone.com/#8" target="_new">http://amdzone.com/#8</A> has posted what they think could be the two names most likely to be use by AMD for the Hammer.

I got a kick outta them, they make me think of transformers (not the ones that have to do with electrical lines, but the cartoon)

Red_Pepper

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
IIRC, AMD took a whole bunch of other stupid sounding TM's out before the Palomino, and everyone was speculating about real names. I doubt AMD would abandon the strong Athlon brand, I would vote for something like Athlon Hammer, or Athlon XP64. They haven't been terribly creative in the past.

Whatever happened to AMD Marathon?

Mmmm... <font color=red>Red Hot</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Athlon XP64 would be cool....i would vote for that... but then again, it's not the Same core as the XP chip, it's gonna be the .13 so i don't think called it the Athlon XP64 is a good move, the HAMMER sounds AWESOME and Intimidating, "THE HAMMER will CRUSH the P4" that's cool sounding!

This Community is like a Second Family!!

eden

Champion
No, Athlon is for K7 architecture, I doubt they'll keep it, they haven't made a very big public appeal so far so that Athlon has to stay like Pentium has for the market.
A new name is needed, but ClawHammer is definitly not bad. It would sell easily, at least to me!
Picture it on the shelves: AMD ClawHammer 3400, future computing...
Quite nice! Maybe they'll add ClawHammer XP for the run.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Red_Pepper

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
This reminds me of the talk about the upcoming Pentium 5. Someone had it in their sig that the "5" is pretty redundant. Should just be the "Sexium".

So if AMD made it the Bi-Athlon.. there would exist the possibility of a "Bi-Sexium" from Intel.

Ok, sounded funnier in my head, lol.

Anyways, personally I couldn't tolerate an AMD Multeon. That's so lame. AMD Marathon makes sense to me.

Mmmm... <font color=red>Red Hot</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
bi-athlon....
i can see the marketing slogan now...
"the CPU for lesbians!"
ROFL.

i think not.

XP64 or XP2 are interesting considerations though.

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Keeping it Hammer for Clawhammer and Hammer *something* (Like Hammer MP or Hammer XP) for sledgehammer I think would work well. A CPU named Hammer may appeal to those less computer/technology savy. There's a lot of people who don't even know how to pronounce Pentium (heard it pent-chum), but no one could get Hammer wrong.

I agree, those trademarked names are retarded. Metaron, bluh. It just doesn't flow like Pentium or Athlon.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

G

Agreed, though my vote would be for: Athlon64: Designed for Windows XP 64. that should hurt intel ;-)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

FatBurger

Illustrious
Only problem being when people try to run a Hammer with Windows XP 64-bit and it doesn't work, and/or Microsoft and/or Intel sue AMD for lying, and/or there is a class action lawsuit against AMD for false marketing.

(Hint: Windows XP 64-bit is for IA64, not x86-64.)

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

G

Yeah of course.. that was assuming (well.. hoping) MS launches a 64 bit (x86-64) capable Windows.. whatever they may call it then..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
I'll just put on my INTEL troll hat...

How about 'Poweron' as that is what you AMD geeks will have to keep doing... blah blah blah

Now the AMD troll hat...

How about 'Crapon' as that is what it'll do to Intel

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
'Athlon' implied 'Athleticism'

Maybe they could imply 'energy' by calling it 'Enron'...

Or maybe that has some negative connotations now ;-)

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
what no clydesdale? i would have figured if the xp was palamino, the hammer would surely be a clydesdale.

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Too late, Palomino was the core name. It would've had to be Clydesdale.

Hmm...if 'Athlon' came from 'Biathlon', then continuing the tradition of taking the first two letters off of Winter Olympic sports:

AMD Bsled
AMD I Jump
AMD Ge (from the Luge)
AMD Eed Skating
AMD Igure Skating
AMD Rling
AMD Eleton
AMD Oss Country Skiing

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
I think the ClawHammer should become 'Demron' or 'Democron' implying democracy, a chip for all people.

The SledgeHammer could be 'Mercron' or 'Merculon' after the Roman god Mercury (Greek Hermes) the god of Commerce, Speed and in a cheeky dig at Intel ... Thievery (as in they will steal their market share).

digikid

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
harr-harrrr!!!

how about "smokeadoobeeron"???
not funny. :(

:lol: <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol:

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
The "-on" endings suggest to me those names (opteron, mutaron) may be intended for the value processor market. Dur-on celer-on

But I agree they are gay names. I rarely refer to chips by their code names anyway, just their speed and basic architecture. Like the 1.4 DDR, or 1.66 (ddr is understood).. So i really dont care what they wind up calling it. Having said that, they should call the chip "Time".
So the name is Hammer Time. THen get M.C. Hammer's career started again. Imagine a CPU with its own theme song :)
For you young folks, just look up mc hammer with your favorite PtP program.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I think they should keep the hammer name and call the first motherboard Thor.

Mighty thor with his HAMMER will crush the competition.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
From a marketing perspective, i would think they should call if the Athlon XP 5, people would say, wow! i could have a lowly pentium <b>4</b> or a whopping Athlon XP <b>5</b> it must be so much faster, because it is 5! (seriously a lot of people think like this)

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.