P4 vs AMD What's better for Music audio and Unreal

SmooveJD

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
I'm at a crossroads. An egghead buddy of mine told me that the Intel has a new chip that's gonna wup on AMD. Is this true? Does Intel allready have a Better chip. I heard that the XP series AMDs are wuppin' up the Intels. But I'm having issues with my XP, so I'll go with what's the best. What do you guys think?

FatBurger

Illustrious
What exactly to you mean by "music audio and unreal"?

Intel has the currently fastest x86 processor, yes.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

eden

Champion
Well given past benchmarks, Unreal favored Athlons.
As for music, some music benchmarks show the Intel winning, while others show Athlons, check THG or Anandtech's MP3 conversion tests.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
i think if you get a top line AthlonXP or a NW P4 then for Unreal and any music application (mp3 encoding, Cubase, Soundforge) your going to have a great system, they'll only be a slight difference between the two systems.

I record a lot of my own music in Cubase - (and do mastering and general audio editing) on a AthlonXP 1900+ (768Mb PC2100 DDR-RAM) and all is very quick and satisfactory.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The 2100+ will perform as well as a 2.2ghz p4, however you will pay 200 more for the p4. Simple choice if you ask me.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

G

I have a Tbird 1400 and Geforce 256 DDR graphics card and I run Unreal at the highest detail at 1024x768 resolution... runs great. Music...a 500 MHz. anything will run that. Get lots of RAM and a Geforce 2 or higher and it won't matter what CPU you have. Of course, I'm a poor college student, so I like AMD :)

Aklein

Just me and my computer livin' on the dark side of the moon.