Sony GRX520

marko63

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
I have just purchased a Sony Vaio GRX 520.. It has a 1.6 GHz Mobile Pentium M processor. The specs from Sony indicate that the max memory is 512 Mb of 200Mhz DDR SDRAM.
According to Intel's site the 845 chipset can handle up to 1 GB of 266Mhz memory. Can Sony "cripple" the motherboard or BIOS to limit the memory. Also does any one know what the maximum size hard drive this model will support.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I don't think that Sony would 'cripple' the motherboard even if there was a way. If my memory serves me correctly, the GRX 520 is not very new - not old either, but not exactly brand new. Only a short while ago, 1GB of notebook memory (on one stick of RAM) was unheard of. Just recently, in fact, 1GB sticks of Notebook SO-DIMMS came to the commercial market, so perhaps Sony missed the memo, and the GRX only has 1 memory slot (i.e. since the previous maximum for a module of RAM was 512MB, and the GRX may only have one slot - its just a theory).

I can see no reason why the GRX wouldn't be able to support 1GB of RAM... try it and see?!

You can also, most likely, put 266MHz DDR Memory in, because (as far as I know), 200MHz DDR are relatively rare, and all but non existent in the notebook sector.

As far as HDDs are concerned. Find the biggest notebook HDD you can, and the GRX 520 will support it.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

TRENDING THREADS