Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wanting to use Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
August 13, 2009 1:41:13 PM

granted my rig is much older then some,and not as powerful.It still met the requirements for Vista but would not accept the drivers for my ATI 4670 video card. I really want to move up to Windows 7,but i am afraid to try after the driver issue i had with Vista. I did some research and so far have only found one person that has said they had the same issue with 7.

my rig ( or go kart)is a presario SR1610NX with the added vid card and 2gb ram and a 400w psu. yes i know there are lots of ways to improve the basics but this is what i am stuck with for now

requirements say i can run Windows 7 but like i said i am worried.with Vista i had to refomat and reinstall XP just to get the thing to work suitably again.....all because of the ATI drivers

More about : wanting windows

a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 13, 2009 3:18:03 PM

Look on the ATI site and see if they have Vista drivers for your card yet. Vista drivers will work fine in Windows 7.

If they've haven't gotten around to creating drivers, you're mostly out of luck. If it's like MY ancient ATI card, it WILL work in Windows 7, but only at 1024 x 768 resolution.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2009 1:46:16 PM

ATI (well, they were bought out by AMD) has had Vista drivers for a long time! Now, they even have Win7 drivers available. Look at this page if you don't believe me! You shouldn't have any compatibility issues with your video card.
Score
Related resources
August 14, 2009 8:38:39 PM

Bolbi said:
ATI (well, they were bought out by AMD) has had Vista drivers for a long time! Now, they even have Win7 drivers available. Look at this page if you don't believe me! You shouldn't have any compatibility issues with your video card.

They have windows 7 support, but they do not list the HD4200 drivers. I had the same problem with my new mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They way to get around this is to go through the Mobo maker and hope they have it. Gigabyte did.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2009 9:04:48 PM

Not being able to install 4670 drivers on Vista is user error. I dont know what you did wrong but I assure you it was definately user error.

You probably need to disable the onboard GPU via bios first or something to that effect.

Give me a private message, and I will be happy to help you get it working.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2009 10:25:15 PM

GpVon, I think we need more info. When you say that "Vista would not accept the drivers", do you mean that the drivers wouldn't install? Whose drivers were you trying, ATI's, the card manufacturer's, or MS's generic ones? Which version of Vista were you using (I'm referring to service pack number)? And was this a clean install or an upgrade from XP?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 15, 2009 5:20:15 AM

The drivers are easy to find. Make sure you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version as appropriate. Most people with modern PC's should use the Windows 7 64bit drivers.

If you install Windows 7 RC 64bit, say, from scratch it will install a BASIC set of compatible drivers. It will also install the motherboard chipset drivers but for XP you likely have to do this manually. For XP, if your motherboard chipset drivers aren't installed you can't install other devices yet. Again, Windows 7 has good up-to-date drivers and I doubt there's any issues with all present motherboards.

So, once Windows 7 RC 64bit is installed, run/install the following. Use the SUITE version:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad... 7 Beta - 64-Bit Edition

Again, if you have problems installing Vista drivers it's more likely you either have tried to install the wrong drivers or have some other software issue.

It's likely not the BIOS order for graphics. If your monitor is plugged into your PCIe HD4670 card it's obviously using that and not onboard graphics. Ensure though, that you are NOT plugged into the motherboard. If you are, you must go into the BIOS and change the graphics order so that the PCIe card is first (and then turn OFF and plug your monitor into the HD4670 or course).
Score
August 15, 2009 12:58:29 PM

They don't seem to have any HD4200 drivers for any OS but the Mobility HD4000 series may work.

As for the 4670 they have drivers for pretty much every OS (except 9x/Me/2000).
Score
!