Delete the "My Documents" junction

explodatron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I use an SSD so I need to free up as much space as possible. Since most games default their save locations to "C:\Users\Username\My Documents" I can't just add an external hdd location to the "My Documents" library, I need to create a junction to a location off my SSD. If you look at the actual directory structure for "C:\Users\Username" you'll see "Documents" instead of "My Documents". This is because Windows creates a junction with that name, for reasons I can't figure out.

Anyways on Windows 7 all I had to do was re-name "Documents" or delete the directory, and then create a new junction with the name "Documents" because "My Documents" always pointed to "Documents". In Windows 8 "My Documents" always points to whatever I rename "Documents" to. I can't rmdir "Documents" either. This is extremely frustrating.

Does anyone know how I can get this working?

You can change the location of My Documents in Windows 8 the same way you could in Windows 7. If you right click on My Documents and choose Properties there will be a tab labeled Location and from there you can move My Documents to another drive. There is no need to create a junction at all to do it.

explodatron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009

The problem with this is that "C:\Users\Username\Documents" still exists, and that is where many games and programs save files to. I can add "E:\Whatever" to the "My Documents" library like you suggested, but that won't stop programs from saving files in "C:\Users\Username\Documents". The only solution for this has to be a junction.