Sign in with
Your question

Fatburgers Challenge: There is no Thoroughbred!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2002 2:37:25 AM

Sorry to have to tell you guys this, but AMD never released the Thoroughbred to the public. Which is the only reason I'm building a P4.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 13, 2002 2:43:33 AM

Good to hear, you will really enjoy it.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
April 13, 2002 2:46:55 AM

Eh, too bad for you...
Oh well I know you've been waiting for a long time... I guess you couldn't hold it anymore!
Good luck on whatever machine you will build!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
April 13, 2002 5:37:17 PM

Quote:
Eh, too bad for you...

what's so bad about his plans?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
April 13, 2002 5:54:07 PM

I think Eden just meant that Crashman was waiting a long time for a t-bred, but he doesn't want to wait anymore, so he's gonna get a P4 instead of the t-bred he wanted.
April 13, 2002 7:36:51 PM

No kidding ?

Too bad for crashman that hes not gonna be able to enjoy tbred is what eden meant.

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith
April 13, 2002 7:55:02 PM

That and to say "I'm sorry you had waited all this, and now changed your idea"

--
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2002 8:57:31 PM

Intel seems as close to moving to 90nm as AMD does to the 130nm move. Once that happens, Fatburger's challenge will become outdated, since the new P4 will clock even higher.

April 13, 2002 9:36:21 PM

Is that right? Intel ready for 90nm? That's fantastic; wow, what an advantage this would give them.

I heard something about a 90nm based RAM module some time back. I suppose this would be easier to make than a CPU..

:lol:  <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2002 10:07:40 PM

Supposedly in May, Intel will release the 90nm chips, do to the difficulties of getting the 130nm chips past 2.6GHz.

April 13, 2002 10:30:03 PM

Intel is far from ready for .09 micron. They produced one (or possibly more) working SRAM chips that they showed at IDF. Prescott (.09 micron) is officially Q2-Q3 03, but could be released Q1 03 instead, based on rumors that .09 micron is actually ahead of schedule (methinks they padded the schedule from the beginning to make themselves look good).

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 13, 2002 10:49:28 PM

Quote:
Intel seems as close to moving to 90nm as AMD does to the 130nm move. Once that happens, Fatburger's challenge will become outdated, since the new P4 will clock even higher.

LOL, intel dosent plan that shift till next year iirc, AMD HAS ALREADY SHIFTED TO .13!!!!

THey had a problem shrinking the axp, but that does not mean their process is flawwed, and the hammer is still on schedule.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 3:29:02 AM

Well, you know how bad the rummor mill is, which is why I said "supposedly". I don't think AMD will pass Intel in PC processor performance again until the Hammer. They've already stated that they don't <i>want</i> to pass Intel at this point.

April 14, 2002 4:05:32 AM

I for one feel the tbred will scale % wise as good as the northwood, and so overclocking will put it back where it was before the northwood(ie athlon on top) but the northwoods going to copper may or may not be enough to bring it on top.

April 14, 2002 4:48:52 AM

Hmm I wonder if AMD will also use 0.09m refinement in their 0.13m chips? Would be nice, even more clock room to use, and would definitly allow Hammer to be comfortable on 0.13m, given the fact it's such a crammed chip, 0.09m is much fitter.

--
April 14, 2002 7:31:40 AM

Quote:
Hmm I wonder if AMD will also use 0.09m refinement in their 0.13m chips? Would be nice, even more clock room to use, and would definitly allow Hammer to be comfortable on 0.13m, given the fact it's such a crammed chip, 0.09m is much fitter.

They arent really using .13 refinement, its just gate length, when amd switched to .13 their gatelengths wont get magically tighter, it is the same fab, their exceptional .13 class etching/tfilms equipment is still the same, so now instead of a .18 micron process with .13 class gate lengths, they will probably have a .13 process with .13 class gatelenghts.

April 14, 2002 8:28:57 AM

A .09 Hammer is on the roadmaps, but I forget if its a Claw or what. It is supposed to be in '03 but I seriously don't think that will happen.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.
April 14, 2002 8:57:11 AM

Wasn't Northwood introduced at 2 and 2.2 GHz?
and if so arn't there rumors that the 1.6 and 1.8 northwoods are simply slower clocked CPUs?
Then if this was the case wouldn't Fatburger's challenge be a tad skewed because I'm sure a Thoroughbred is not going to be introduced slower with the same performance capabilities of a faster chip. Unless AMD decides to do something similar to whats going on with Intel chips.
I say a more feasible challenge is see how much people are overclocking the 2 GHz Northwoods (the originals) and see if the original Thoroughbreds that come out can achieve the same percentage gains when overclocking.

If my response is brief and vague its because the info you provided is too!
April 14, 2002 9:52:46 AM
April 14, 2002 2:00:58 PM

I think the Tbred will be available in a month or two. Which in real world time is not a very long time.
April 14, 2002 6:33:27 PM

I'm delaying my upgrade to the summer, so I'll wait and see what AMD releases by then. I may end up getting a P4 1.6A or 1.8A and a V7+ and overclock the hell out of it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 7:50:40 PM

Actually the Thoroughbred will be initially released at a higher clock, then eventually replace the AXP at slower clocks, just as the Northwood did.

April 14, 2002 7:51:31 PM

Crash, are you building these for a buisness, if so you will not want to overclock them, why are you getting a p4 over an axp anyways, its not like amd sucks just because the tbred isnt out.

If you remove overclocking the axp is on most counts still the better chip.

April 14, 2002 7:52:52 PM

Quote:
Actually the Thoroughbred will be initially released at a higher clock, then eventually replace the AXP at slower clocks, just as the Northwood did.

They have bios updates which list specifically the tbred 1800+, if that is the case fatburgers challenge is possibly dooable.(although a better comparison would be a 1.8a instead of a 1.6a).

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 7:56:45 PM

I'm going with the 1.8A because I want the 18x multiplier.

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 8:03:59 PM

This is my personal system, AXP sux for overclocking. With the 1.8A at 2.4GHz, I'll have more performance than the 2.4A, and still quiet cooling. I'm tired of noisy systems, don't want to mess with water cooling, and an overclocked AXP can do just a little less performance wise than the P4 2.4GHz, but needs either noisy or complicated cooling to get there.

April 14, 2002 8:10:22 PM

I dont disagree with the first part but.

Quote:
I'm tired of noisy systems, don't want to mess with water cooling, and an overclocked AXP can do just a little less performance wise than the P4 2.4GHz, but needs either noisy or complicated cooling to get there.

I completely and strongly disagree.

I have an alphapal8045, with an 80mm sunon fan, it is WHISPER quiet, and my temp TOPS OUT at 104f(this is on a 200mhz overclock 1700@2000++ 11x150).

Athlons do not need super loud fans to be quiet because of the new heatsinks out, and I have heard a p4 heatsink and mine is just as quiet as it. Now it is true the p4 1.8 probably will out perform the overclocked axp, but you are paying over 80 bucks more(last I checked). If its your personal computer thats fine, I just remember you talking about having money to spend and a deadline etc.

If you choose p4 thats good, dont do it for the wrong reasons(like a mistaken belief axps are louder). The p4 will overclock well and it will perform well, but if you know anything about heatsinks it will not be quieter than a properly set up axp.

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 8:17:19 PM

Quote:
Cautionary Statement
This release contains forward-looking statements, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are generally preceded by words such as “plans,” “expects,” “believes,” “anticipates” or “intends”. Investors are cautioned that all forward-looking statements in this release involve risks and uncertainty that could cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations. Risks include the possibility that the company will not continue to be successful in ramping production of its highest-performance AMD Athlon processors on .13 micron technology in Fab 30 in Dresden, Germany; that the company will not ship the AMD Athlon XP processor based on the “Thoroughbred” core on schedule; that the company’s transition to .13 micron technology will not deliver the anticipated level of improved performance, lower power and/or smaller die size; and that the company will not ship the “Hammer” processor on schedule. We urge investors to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the Company’s filings with the United States Securities Exchange Commission.

Thanks.

April 14, 2002 8:46:44 PM

nice ... anything else in mind?

like what type of RAM. I can only assume the duh. RDRAM is the better choice. How much? what is it used for?

Man my processor is too slow and i have a 1600+ athlon XP. It takes about 3-4 hours to make a 1 hour video cd! Involes enocding using flaskmpeg to make it smaller. that takes about 2 hours and then you need to burn it and that takes another hour to 2 hours. It needs to encode it again.
AMD better get the gears moving and start shipping the 3000+ cpu's!

I just ordered another hard drive. Same 60GB maxtor drive i have now and going to set up RAID. That should be an interesting experience. I never set up a RAID configuration before. Any tips about it? Just doing it for the experience. I already flashed my BIOS with the modded 7dxr+ f4 bios. Boots up really quick now. Look at my rif for current configuration of my computer.

Man i'd love to have a pentium 4 just to get the experience of putting one together. Plus you can never have to many computers! right? lol!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
April 14, 2002 9:10:17 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>I'm delaying my upgrade to the summer, so I'll wait and see what AMD releases by then. I may end up getting a P4 1.6A or 1.8A and a V7+ and overclock the hell out of it.
<p><hr></blockquote><p>Intel is just about to discontinue all P4's (not the upcomming P4 Celerons) below 1.9GHz , i.e this is going to include 1.6A and 1.8A. Apparently, they no longer want to give all the overclock potential away for free. Now, I don't know how long it takes to empty the stocks of 1.6A's and 1.8A's, but I'm not so sure there is going to be any availble comes summer.

On the other hand, if Intel is really going to slash its prices as announced by the end of May, the 2.0A will not be so expensive at that time.

<i>/Copenhagen</i>

<b><i>Seagate Barracuda IV.
Bad performance in RAID setups!
</i></b>
April 14, 2002 9:24:40 PM

Geez Intel really hates to lose money and let people OC huh?
AMD on the other hand, is all for it, loves those who OC and will continue to let us OC with multipliers too! Tsk tsk Intel...

--
April 14, 2002 10:02:25 PM

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/20010203.htm" target="_new">Who</A> <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/22010216.htm" target="_new"> knows</A> <A HREF="http://print.tweakers.net/?nieuws/20110" target="_new">?</A> <A HREF="http://www.3dnews.ru/reviews/mainsystem/athlon4_preview..." target="_new">?</A>

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Labdog on 04/14/02 06:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 14, 2002 10:03:10 PM

Ehh, that sucks. :frown:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 10:08:21 PM

Hmm, the price difference can be reduced by the cost of the cooler anyway, since I can get away with the retail boxed cooler, so the difference is not large.

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 10:11:12 PM

I have too many computers!!!

April 15, 2002 12:19:08 AM

Cheer up bud, it's not like the Tbred 2000 or above won't overclock at all! I mean it's 0.13m so any new Tbred CPU will still OC better than its counterpart 0.18m, thus even if you grabbed an XP2000, you could well get it to 2500 or even 2600! That's about enough to compete FatBurger's comp, not to mention that since Intel's 1.6 and 1.8 will be gone and 2GHZA is there, and given the fact they are downbinned of a 2GHZA, you can use the XP2000 easily to compete as per the rules of the challenge. And since both companies will do price drops, the XP2000 will soon be costing near the 1.6A here in Canada or 1.8A, but definitly below the 2GHZA.
All in all, good luck in what you will do, but I do suggest investing in an XP2000 in case a 1800+ does not come out, since both Intel and AMD's will be leveled due to 1.6A and 1.8A phasing out.

Oh btw, can it get more nightmarish than the new Cellys P4s???? I mean come on! 128K L2, to think the cache drives the P4 better! I guess it also comes with SDRAM packages, which will indeed show something worse than a P4+SDRAM performance. Oh god I hope the guy who comes to THGC and does buy that, get struck by thunder!

--
April 15, 2002 12:24:21 AM

A note on that you can't get struck by thunder; thunder is sound you can get struck by lightning.
April 15, 2002 12:27:40 AM

lol, can't certain sounds render a human unconscious?

April 15, 2002 12:34:13 AM

Quote:
AXP sux for overclocking.

I'm not sure about higher XP, but for my XP1600, running as XP2000+ 1665MHz (175*9.5) on Abit KR7A-RAID (that support PCI divider 1/5 so my PCIs and AGP crad are not overclocked), I wouldn't think it's sux!

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
April 15, 2002 12:55:03 AM

At at 175MHz FSB, that AXP2000+ should be nearly as fast as FatBurger's overclocking P4 1.6A but Intel is still the better buy for overclocking.

April 15, 2002 1:45:30 AM

Quote:
Oh btw, can it get more nightmarish than the new Cellys P4s???? I mean come on! 128K L2, to think the cache drives the P4 better! I guess it also comes with SDRAM packages, which will indeed show something worse than a P4+SDRAM performance.

I haven't heard anything like that. Intel's doubling of the cache with Northwood would hint that the 256k version will be the P4 Celeron.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 15, 2002 2:06:06 AM

Quote:
lol, can't certain sounds render a human unconscious?

According to a popular song by ate Bush a sound can kill.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2002 3:07:35 AM

1400 MHz to 1666MHz? That's less than 20%! My PIII 1000EB will overclock by 20%!

April 15, 2002 6:11:19 AM

Quote:
you can't get struck by thunder; thunder is sound you can get struck by lightning

Technically, every time you hear thunder you are "struck" by it. It is a sound/shock wave that travels - haven't you ever heard it rattle windows and the like or felt it hit you when the lightning was especially close? But, yeah - getting struck by lightning generally has greater consequences. I have known people that have been struck by thunder - when a lightning bolt touched down near them and the thunder (the shock wave) leveled everything not bolted down within a 50' radius.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
April 15, 2002 8:31:08 AM

heh... all these troubles finding a new cpu...
all im gonna do is new mobo, new ram and an upped fsb. proly keep this ancient 1200C till hammer days

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?
April 15, 2002 9:29:29 AM

Quote:
Hmm, the price difference can be reduced by the cost of the cooler anyway, since I can get away with the retail boxed cooler, so the difference is not large.

1.8a 180$ pricewatch]
1700+ 89$ Pricewatch
alphapal8045 29$

Total

1.8a 180
1700++AWESOME HSF=118

62 bucks difference for <5% more performance(at a 2.4ghz overclock as you stated)

come on crash, you can justify it better than cost as well, again if you want the p4 thats fine, dont justify it with flawwed reasoning though.

April 15, 2002 11:41:22 AM

Wasn't the CPU he wanted a 1.6A?

--
April 15, 2002 11:45:52 AM

dont mixed thunder & lightning.

thunder:

the sound emitted by rapidly expanding gases along the channel of a lightning discharge. over 3/4 of lightning's electrical discharge is used in heating the gases in the atmosphere in & immediately around the visible channel. temps can rise to over 10.000°C in microseconds, resulting in a violent pressure wave, composed of compression & rarefaction. the rumble of thunder is created as one's ear catches other parts of the discharge, the part of the lightning flash nearest registering first, then the parts further away.

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>
!