System freeze 2 months after OC!!!??

digikid

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Sorry for the repost, but nobody seems to read the OC forum:

I OC'ed my PII-350 through by increasing the FSB from 100 to 133MHz on an ASUS P2B MB about two months ago. Everything's been running fine; the RAM is SDRAM133, and all that. The CPU is now running at 350*1.33 = 467MHz.

Last night, the system froze on me, and I tried ot reboot. The RAM count went to ~256MB instead of the 384MB that is installed, so I rebooted again. This time it counted about 160MB before it froze again. I turned the computer off for the night.

This morning, upon reboot, there were no problems: the RAM counted OK, and the system started normally (after some file-checking by Linux).
My question is this: how long after you OC can you still run into stability problems? Two months seemed to long; why didn't it freeze earlier? Does anybody have experiences with this?

Thanks!

:lol: <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol:

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i think it was due to overheating.

pay attention to cool correctly your oc's system.

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>

digikid

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Yeah, I suppose I haven't considered that at all. I'm using the stock CPU fan and nothing else. Maybe I should find a piece of software that will monitor the CPU temperature; any suggestions? Also, what is the max. safe operating temperature of a PII-350?

:lol: <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol: