Urgent battery problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaNatout

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hello,
i got my satellite L735-S3220 laptop and i got shipped by my friend from the US .I LIVE in the ME. the battery life in the catalogue is up to 6hrs and mine is not actually giviing more than 4 hrs on power save. im only surfing the web,ntg more.and suddenly the battery gives 53 mins then it gives 1 20 hrs so its not giving fixed time but not giving 6hrs. i read about the RTC it needs to be charge, how do i do that? i tried to charge and discharge many times but no result. i need ur helpp....

The battery life indicated by the manufacturer is often misleading because they tested it in optimal setting. Battery life can vary depends on background tasks as well. So if a background task starts, it will lower the life and once it finish, battery life will be recalculated and probably gives you more life again. Cycle recharge an drain for Li-ion battery will only lower the capacity of the battery, try to avoid that. Try turn on the laptop on battery with full charge on minimum power usage (lower cpu and gpu frequency, min screen brightness, wifi off, bluetooth off, camera off, mic off, usb and pcie battery saving enable, hdd spin down on, optical drive off, no external device plugged in) in a cool room with auto shutdown, hibernation and standby off. Do nothing on the computer and see how many hours you have. Also download this:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

and report the battery status.

NinaNatout

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
thanks for the advice, but im not a pc pro, so plz can u tell me how to lower cpu and gpu frequency, min screen brightness, wifi off, bluetooth off, camera off, mic off, usb and pcie battery saving enable, hdd spin down on, optical drive off, no external device plugged in??? thxxx alottt, i realllyyy appreciate it. but i hve another question why is the battery not giving on 100% at least 5 hours when turning it on?? it should give 5 hrs and then start decreasing right?

The battery life reported by the laptop is based on current / recent power consumption. For example, if your laptop currently tells you that you have 2 hours of battery power left, and then you decide to watch a 5 minute video on Youtube it may tell you that you will have 1 hour and 30 minutes of battery power left. Awaiting a minute or two, it may go back up to around 1 hour and 50 minutes. Watching a video uses a little more processing power and the program that estimates the battery life assumes you will continue to be watching video until the battery dies. Once you stop watching the video the laptop uses less processing power. At the point the program re-estimates your remaining power.

You do not need to lower your CPU and GPU frequency; it is done automatically. To change your power options, you need to go to the Control Panel, then go into System and Security, and you will see Power Options there. There should be a profile for Energy Star (should be 4 profile is in total) which you can select and also change some basic settings.

Within any of the profile you select is also an option to change advanced power settings which allows you to further customize your power settings.

NinaNatout

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
noo the battery time changes from 53 mins to an hour or more/less when im doing the same thing. thats why its weird. and thebattery should give up to 6 hours but mine is not giving this time even if im only turning it on when its fully charged?thats why im worried the laptop might hve some bad specs.or a bad battery. i got mine from the best buy US but i live in the middle east and toshiba customer service put me on hold for about 10 mins without a final answer. ive had the laptop for only 2 weeks...what do i doo???

The test by Toshiba may also be conducted on compatible extended batter for that machine, and the extended battery can sometimes be 200% the capacity of the original battery (6 cells vs 12 cells).

Read some of the comment here:

Standard battery-
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=468547

Extended battery-
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=468548&tab=reviews

I know that poster is not using the same model but:

Original battery-
"Just bought a new computer (A665-S6054) with this battery. The computer is a home run. The battery strikes out. Toshiba advertises 4+ hours but I have yet to get 2 hours out of it. I'd buy the 12 cell but I'm afraid I'll get another dissappoinment."

Extendard battery-
"the original battery that my l655d-s5116 came with is awful! i get about 1 1/2 to 2 hours at most so i needed to give this high capacity a try . its well worth it if ur lookin for longer battery life. i got approx. 5 hours out of it with moderate use .takes alot longer to charge than the original but i guess thats expected,but over all its a good upgrade."

So I think extended battery is the problem. Also note the high rate of battery failure, so it could be a faulty battery as well so get the battery status:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Status
Not open for further replies.