Sign in with
Your question

Black Screen when turn on computer!!!

Last response: in CPUs
April 14, 2002 3:30:23 AM

I have an old PIII 800MHz and a Abit-BE6-II mobo...
When I turn it on I don't see anything but a black screen.. Can't tell if it's loading up or anything at all. I also can turn it off with my power button as I have to turn it off with my PSU... My monitor works and I tried two different video cards...
Can figure out what's wrong with it..
Anyone have any idea??? THX!
April 14, 2002 4:32:05 AM

start by eliminating possibilitys, check with another vid card. check ram, reseat cpu, check contacts, clear cmos

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
April 14, 2002 5:07:20 AM

Switched ram and rams worked perfectly fine with other computers in my house hold. Reset and just resets but can't see anything.. Tried an AGP and PCI vid card. Took out that round battery for more than a minute... not sure if that would clear the cmos but still nothing happens... contacts were all tight...
Related resources
April 14, 2002 5:20:12 AM

Sounds like a bad power supply to me. You might try to swap that and see if it fixes it.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!
April 14, 2002 6:17:50 AM

Well I'm using a PII 266 on it right now and seems to be nothing wrong right now. Thx for the tip though!
April 14, 2002 12:02:13 PM

Do you get any beeps?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 14, 2002 1:02:03 PM

no post?
it must be that Intel cheap crap you have...
cheap cheap cheap Think cheap and you'll always stay cheap

*sarczm - not intended for the orginal writer of the post*

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled
April 14, 2002 1:27:49 PM

lol, you sound like juin.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 14, 2002 6:37:37 PM

Yup the one regular beep at the beginning and that's it.
April 14, 2002 6:49:24 PM

Weird, are you sure it's not the monitor?

April 15, 2002 12:11:21 AM

I know it's weird! I was thinking maybe something burned out on the mobo but I didn't see anything..
Yes I changed it from a 17" to a 15"..

The computer used to work perfectly fine till one day when it was turned off and I turned it on and then I just couldn't see anything..
April 15, 2002 9:05:22 AM

hmm you got a beep? one of my classmates p3 via board just blacked out last month. dunno what did I do but it booted up again after I moved the ram around. poor chap did that 5 times and still nothing happened :) 

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
April 15, 2002 11:02:12 PM

Really! Alright thanks going to give it a try right NOW!.
Thanks for the tip!
April 16, 2002 5:11:49 AM

Darn still stuck in same problem! Wait I've made A MISTAKE! THERE ARE NO BEEPS WHATSOEVER! I REPEAT NO BEEPS AT ALL! NOT even when I turn it on...
could my cpu be killed or mobo fried?..
April 16, 2002 3:01:10 PM

Try taking out the mobo's power plug for a few minutes. My roommate had an abit which had no beeps he did this and it somehow worked. If this doesn't work you might take out the battery in addition to the mobo's power plug.

MStakem
April 16, 2002 3:20:09 PM

no beeps at all? are the fans running if they are i think u got a ram problem. u say u moved the ram to another slot? if u have more than one strip try them one at a time. also make sure your graphics card is seated properly as i had exactly the same symptons u describe on a couple of occasions and its always been either ram or graphics card related. oh one more thing.. i know this is obvious but ... erm.. u have plugged the monitor in havent you? heheh j/k

how do you set a laser printer to stun?
April 16, 2002 3:24:28 PM

Did you try a different proc or try that proc on another MOBO? Maybe the proc is bad? NO, it can't be, it's INTEL, LOL.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."
April 16, 2002 10:49:15 PM

thx for the tip MStakem but I have already tried all of that before and doing it again now but no new results..

Yes everything is running.. I have 3 slots for PC100 SDRAM. Two are double and one single sided. I filled all three slots. I've also tried using just one. Nothing happens but just a reminder that all three sticks used to be in the same mobo and worked perfectly fine. Pretty sure not the graphics card because if it wasn't seated in properly it makes like 2-3 beeps or something like that.. YES I have my monitor plugged in... When I unplug it from my video card it just says "no video signal" on the screen and when I plug it in it just turns black. I am 100% sure it's not the monitor since I'm using it right at this moment. Thanks again.. going to try the ram again..
April 16, 2002 10:53:28 PM

Good idea I'm going to try that now.. Only problem is my other old mobo doesn't support PIII 800MHz...
April 17, 2002 5:43:03 AM

Sorry but as I said I didn't know what I did but it came alive after I moved the ram about. If the motherboard is still under warranty you might as well send it back to the manufacturer. That guys PC didn't beep as well but I was just surprised when you said your's did.

April 17, 2002 10:38:42 PM

What you mean as move the RAM about? just putting the ram in a different slot right?... Or do you mean trying to wiggle the ram slots itself?..
I apologize but my didn't beep at all. I made a mistake on that.. Did NOT beep at all.
Sadly no the mobo warranty expired last year... but thx for the idea.
April 18, 2002 5:49:20 AM

I meant putting the ram in different slots. Wiggling ram in their slots with the power on isn't such a good idea. Might cause a short.

April 19, 2002 1:01:24 AM

Yeah I thought so. Haha I don't think I would do anything when the power was on... But not working. The RAM I'm trying out used to work perfectly fine with it so don't think it's ram problem..
However not sure if it would be compatible but I put a Intel Celeron at 233MHz on the mobo and tried turning it on but it leads to the same problem... I'm thinking there could be a problem with the mobo or not if the Celeron isn't compatible...
April 21, 2002 2:21:50 PM

since how many time this pIII is used ?

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>
April 21, 2002 4:03:39 PM

I really have no idea. 2 or 3 years maybe?..
April 21, 2002 5:56:00 PM

strange...

did you do something with your rig before it crash ?

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2002 8:26:14 PM

You might need a BIOS update to make the Coppermine CPU work. Worse yet, your board could possibly be a very early revision that doesn't support voltages lower than 1.80v. Anyway, I had similar problems with mine, but I have a Socket 370 on an Abit Slotket III adapter. I ended up setting it at 1.85v, doing the BIOS update, then everything worked fine afterwords.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 21, 2002 10:35:55 PM

well the thing is that it used to work perfectly fine and the power was at default or giving enough voltage to start it up. So now I'm left with a cpu and mobo that just leaves a black screen now... Any way of giving it a higher voltage without updating the bios?? since I can't see anything...
April 21, 2002 10:39:20 PM

I know it's strange.. first time I've ever encountered this problem..

rig??
If you mean registry no, and even if I did it wouldn't have to due with the cpu or mobo...
April 21, 2002 10:54:02 PM

did you do something <i>special</i> with your pc/system/comp./installation before it crash ?

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2002 11:00:40 PM

Oh, well, if it used to work fine with the 800, it should still. You said it runs the slower CPU, so my guess is you have a bad CPU or bad Power Supply. But then again it could be the RAM not running at the higher bus speed, etc.

April 22, 2002 5:48:48 AM

oh NO nothing special. I didn't even touch anything but the power button on my computer..

well the question is how do I have a bad Power Supply if it used to work fine with the 800? It can be the power supply but I'm not sure as it's working fine right now with a PII 233..
I'm 90% sure it's not the RAM since it worked fine with it before..
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2002 6:58:16 AM

lets' see, I overheated some name brand memory and damaged it, now it won't work right at higher speeds. And that happened right after my power supply decided it was old and would no longer provide full power levels.

April 22, 2002 10:22:25 PM

Oh really? So your power supply can be still working fine but just not giving full power anymore?..
Maybe that's it..
THX! This MIGHT be just the problem..
But were you able to turn off the power when you had that problem? I mean just pressing the power button and it would turn off? because I couldn't turn if off unless I turned the power supply off manually..
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2002 1:51:19 AM

That sounds like a power supply problem. Holding the button in for 8 to 10 seconds should shut the power supply off regardless of other conditions.

April 23, 2002 2:53:14 AM

never tried holding the power button more than 2 seconds buy I'm just going to get a new one anyways.
Thanks again

I didn't really expect it would be the power suppply as it still works fine with my PII 233... but as you said that your's is old and is not at full power anymore and mine is really old also and I just guess it doesn't have enough power to run the P3 800MHz but able to run the P2 233 since it doesn't use as much power.

But would you know like why your PSU doesn't run at it's full power anymore like specifically?.. Like is it a part worn out or burned out?...
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2002 4:40:50 AM

Any circuit that is run near its limit for too long will eventually loose some of its matalic structure due to heat induced fracturing, similar to metal fatigue. And the simiconductor elements age even faster.

April 23, 2002 11:16:20 PM

Ah I see. But there is no evidence of it as it has lost it's full power is there?.
And aren't PSU suppose to last a really LONG time?
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2002 11:28:44 PM

Nope. Since I have lots of parts laying around, I would pull the CPU and test it on another system, then if it turned out OK, try replacing to power supply.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2002 12:51:03 AM

If you have access to a volt meter you can do a "rough" check of the power supply...
If you check the voltage you should be able to read the 5 and 12 volt lines. Because it is a switching supply, all the voltages are USUALLY affected in the event of a failure.
April 27, 2002 4:30:51 AM

I see. Ah too much work to go through..
Well would you know approx. how much power I would need for a P4 (including DVD, CD-RW, floppy drive, 2 7200rpm hardrives, and 5 92mm case fans)
!