Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade P2 to P3

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 3:36:10 AM

Yes, I realize I'm a lowly Intel user - please do not judge me too harshly though, I'm doing what I can!

I was reading in the "how to" section earlier this evening that it was ok to put a P3/800 slot 1 directly into a P2 system with an Intel 440BX chipset with no changes or adjustments. Is this correct or did I miss something? I've got a Dell P2/450 Slot 1 and would love to be able to just pop in a P3 Slot 1 and be done with it. I'd appreciate it if anyone could clear this up for me or maybe explain how I high I could go without having to trash my MB and start over. Thanks in advance.

More about : upgrade

April 14, 2002 4:19:35 AM

You can either upgrade to a 1 Ghz PIII, make sure it's SECC2, or you can use the <A HREF="http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm" target="_new">powerleap adapter</A> to put a 1.2Ghz Celeron in there.

The later is much better and is probably cheaper ($150).

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
April 14, 2002 4:27:04 AM

"lowly" intel user?

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
Related resources
April 14, 2002 4:46:55 AM

One last thing, besides popping in the new CPU you would have to flash your bios.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 5:16:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I went to the Powerleap site and I have to admit, that looks like the best way to go. I may have to give that a shot (and I'll make sure to have the latest BIOS in before attempting it - thanks again). They even have a link to a site where someone discusses upgrading a system almost identicle to mine so that just adds to the confidence level. Thanks much for the input!

As for the comment about "lowly Intel user", after reading all the stuff from THG and many of the posts in these forums - it kinda makes you feel bad for using something so overpriced and under-productive as an Intel cpu. But I have to say, personally, I have had good luck and stability from Intel so I doubt I'd stray anytime soon. Everyone sure seems to have great things to say about AMD however....

Thanks again for the info, it's much appreciated.
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 6:58:08 AM

I'll sell you a new Powerleap adapter with a Celeron 1.2GHz Tualatin 512k CPU and cooler for $150.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 14, 2002 7:01:07 AM

What kind of cooler would you require for this setup? Are you talking about a regular fan, or something more sophisticated than that?

Also, "the flashing of the BIOS"; can that be done by simply removing the battery on the mobo? Or is this a firmware upgrade...?

Thanks! I'll go and get myself a Celeron1.2 tomorrow! Byebye Deschutes!

:lol:  <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 4:22:47 PM

I believe a cooler is just a fan and heatsink combo (unless I'm mistaken) the setup from PowerLeap comes with all that you need on that end. "Flashing the bios" means upgrading the revision level of your bios. You can usually get bios upgrades from either your mobo manufacturer or, if you went the way of Gateway or Dell, from them for your specific computer model.

Hope that helps!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mindcrime2k on 04/14/02 12:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 14, 2002 6:50:53 PM

Thanks for info.

I recently found a website that quoted all Intel CPUs, with their FSB and L2 cache sizes... but now I've forgotten where that site was! Thing is I have a PII-350 Descutes, which is an FSB100 with a 3.5 multiplier and I THINK 512KB L2 running at half the CPU speed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the new Celeron 1.2GHz is 0.13um, 256KB L2 @ full speed, FSB100 with multiplier 12... is this right?

Second question: Can my Asus P2B handle the 1.2GHz Celeron with the appropriate BIOS update, AND should I bother? Yes, I guess I should, the Celeron 1.2 should beat my PII-350 (OCed to 466), shouldn't it?

Thanks again!

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 7:43:05 PM

According to PowerLeap (check the hyperlink above) it looks as though you might be out of luck with your Asus P2B - at least as far as their product is concerned. If you take a look at thier compatability chart, quite a ways down the list it lists the P2B series and says that it's incompatible.

Sorry for the bad news....
April 14, 2002 7:46:42 PM

Digi kid, for the price of the 1200 upgrade(+powerleap) you can get a 1700+ ecsk7s5a combo and reuse your sdram. This will give you much more bang for your buck and an upgrade path to both ddr and the tbred/barton.

The downsides are
1: you have to reinstall windows and remove/replace the old motherboard(you dont need to lose your data, just reinstall windows not reformat)
2: you MAY need to get a new psu, but then again you MAY need to get one for the celly1200 as well.(this possible extra cost can be mitigated by selling your old cpu/mobo combo).

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
April 14, 2002 8:12:00 PM

Quote:
it kinda makes you feel bad for using something so overpriced and under-productive as an Intel cpu.

And another one buys into the hype. If you're an overclocker, the 1.6A is the best price/performance on the market. ~$130 and it'll outperform any air-cooled Athlon after a good bit of OCing.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 14, 2002 8:18:50 PM

Quote:
And another one buys into the hype. If you're an overclocker, the 1.6A is the best price/performance on the market. ~$130 and it'll outperform any air-cooled Athlon after a good bit of OCing.

I showed you a link to a 1.9ghz aircooled axp, which would whomp your 1.6a, why dont you edit that statement to say it will beat any thg forum users aircooled axp(because thats the condition you implied on the challenge).

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 8:21:45 PM

YOur motherboard can use the Powerleap combo IF you load custom made third party BIOS which can be bought from Powerleap for $10.

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2002 8:23:00 PM

YOu can buy mine if you like for $150. It has the standard Powerleap supplied cooler.

April 15, 2002 1:55:38 AM

And why don't you show me either proof that the CPU actually exists, or proof of the performance?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 15, 2002 6:38:00 AM

Thanks, Matisaro; I'll check the cost of that option. Not afraid of reinstalling OS; will need both Win2K and Linux, though.

[Later...] checked the cost: Your AMD suggestion will cost: 65 (mobo) + 170 (CPU AXP1900+) + 50 (case with PSU) = $285. The Celeron 1.2GHZ is $95 + the adapter ($25 or so?), so this seems like a much cheaper way to go.

April 15, 2002 6:40:37 AM

Oops, that was supposed to be a 1700, wasn't it?! Subtract $37 from AMD cost and get ~$250... Still more expensive.

April 15, 2002 7:10:27 AM

The motherboard is $54 and the processor is only $102 OEM or $118 retail. The Celeron is $150 from powerleap with the adapter so it's going to be close. Now it's just a matter of performance differences.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 04/15/02 00:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 15, 2002 9:32:16 AM

Quote:
And why don't you show me either proof that the CPU actually exists, or proof of the performance?

I can see the proof of performance request, but infering that the cpu database entry is fake is kind of weak burger.

April 15, 2002 9:35:44 AM

What fantasy world do you live in where a 1700+ runs you 150$!

They are 80 bucks on pricewatch!

And the ecsk7s5a mobo is 40!

here

K7S5A Retail Box 2 yr warranty SOCKET A MB w/AUDIO/LAN 2 DDR/SDRAM 5P,1AMR,1A, UDMA100 Instock with cpu - ATHLON XP 1700+,1.47GHZ 266MHz, AX1700DMT3C with Heatsink & Fan. Complete Combo kit.
(Part - K7S5A@1700+)
$ 127

come on, dont tell me that spending 25 bucks more for the p3 system is justifiable if you arent afraid of the reinstall!@

if you got a 1600+ WHICH IS STILL GOBS FASTER THAN THE 1.2CELLY, you could have the whole combo for, well 3 bucks less heh, but still.

Even if you add 50 bucks for a psu you still come out within 30 bucks for the amd system,(give or take, too tired to do math) which is well spent considering the much greater performance you will get from the amd rig!

April 15, 2002 3:35:20 PM

Quote:
I can see the proof of performance request, but infering that the cpu database entry is fake is kind of weak burger.

Not really, considering there are several Athlons that are watercooled and lower. An air-cooled one that high is rather suspicious.

April 16, 2002 1:15:46 AM

So the axia which could do 1600mhz aircooled, versus the avia which topped out at 1300mhz was obviously faked?

There is a single 1900mhz chip aircooled on overclockers.com, it may or may not beat your system in the benchmarks, however there are plenty of 1850-1800 aircooleds in the database, so why is 50 more mhz such a strange thing for you to discredit the entire entry?

April 16, 2002 2:15:41 AM

"K7S5A Retail Box 2 yr warranty SOCKET A MB w/AUDIO/LAN 2 DDR/SDRAM 5P,1AMR,1A, UDMA100 Instock with cpu - ATHLON XP 1700+,1.47GHZ 266MHz, AX1700DMT3C with Heatsink & Fan. Complete Combo kit.
(Part - K7S5A@1700+)
$ 127 "

I would have to agree that is a good way to go, even with power supply you are nt much more then the powerleap. The performance of a 1700+ is far superior to a 1200 celeron to begin with, but add in that the powerleap adapter has some overhead and you are even slower. Upgrade adapters generally suck unless you get a good price. Normally they are only used by clueless end users who dont know any better, although I admit they have value is some situations....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
April 16, 2002 2:34:59 AM

Quote:
I would have to agree that is a good way to go, even with power supply you are nt much more then the powerleap. The performance of a 1700+ is far superior to a 1200 celeron to begin with, but add in that the powerleap adapter has some overhead and you are even slower. Upgrade adapters generally suck unless you get a good price. Normally they are only used by clueless end users who dont know any better, although I admit they have value is some situations....

Yeah, he said that removing the mobo and reinstalling windows is not a problem, there is exactly 0 reason to choose the celly over the combo I linked to.

There is virtually no case in which the powerleap combo is a better idea than the 1700+/mobo combo, the only time it is even logical is if the person wants a quick no reinstall option.

April 16, 2002 2:54:22 AM

This fantasy world is called CANADA :wink:

I got the numbers from www.atic.ca, which is the cheapest place around here. I quote again:
AXP1700: CAD 205,
ecsk7s5a: CAD 95,
That's CAD 300, or US$200, and that's without the PSU and case... I guess we don't get the same deals up here... [sad]

Not too worry, though; I'm all for AMD! Just bought a dual MP2000 for work. Will come in some time this week. Needless to say, with all the bells and whistles (and 2GB of DDR), I'm VERY EXCITED THESE DAYS!!! :lol: 

SInce you feel so strongly about this, I'll contact a vendor and check the prices more carefully. I trust you on the AMD vs. Celeron issue.

April 16, 2002 3:06:22 AM

I will do you a solid digi.

<A HREF="http://www.accubyte.com/sectors/legalNotice/index.asp" target="_new">Abra cadabra</A>

<A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/1/306/4109-1.htm" target="_new">Here</A> Is the link to the pricewatch page 5th down is the accubyte price listed. Enjoy

accubyte ships to canada, they have a 1700+ ecsk7s5a combo for 137 US.

This will cost less(or slightly more with a psu) than a powerleap and celly.

Go for it, it is truely a far far far better deal.

A duron 1100 can outperfom the celly 1200, the 1700+ will OWN the 1200 celly, and you are paying LESS for it!!

And so accubyte ships to canada, thus you have no issue anymore, 138 us is not the best price(but its the cheapest with canadian shipping) go for it!

April 16, 2002 3:36:38 AM

Aha! That's how you sneaky bastards do it! Thanks for the link, Marisaro! That's like 50% cheaper than Canada! (Shipping not included...)

April 16, 2002 7:00:25 AM

You are welcome, and as you can see, it is a much better deal than a stop gap 1.2celly "upgrade".

With this motherboard you can run sd and ddr ram, thus you have 2 upgrade avenues, upgrading to ddr, and also upgrading to a faster tbred etc when the time comes!

All for less money!

!