Athlon Failsafe

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
Does anyone have this feature on their mobos and does it really save your chip or is it just crap?

What's this?...ERROR ERROR ERROR...*CRASH & BURN*

FatBurger

Illustrious
Depends on the motherboard. I've heard of the A7V266-E saving people's Athlons a couple of times, but nobody's had the balls to rip off their heatsink either.
I don't blame them, I don't think I could even do it to mine :tongue:

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you mean <b><A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7v333/overview.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>A7V333</A></b></font color=red>
>><b><font color=blue>ASUS C.O.P (CPU Overheating Protection)</b></font color=blue>

<i>ASUS C.O.P (CPU Overheating Protection) is a hardware protection circuit that automatically shuts down the system power before temperatures go high enough to permanently damage your CPU.</i><<

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, you're right (with A7V133 too, I had one), but A7V333 has the most advanced.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yaa. the a7v133 had the standard under socket probe, capable of handling slow temp rises (fan failure), but not fast (HS ripped off)

question arises though: IS the internal temp sensor with the XP responsive enough to catch an overheat if the heatsink is ripped off?

another question: what do u do if you use an old athlon CPU on the a7v333? does it have the undersocket sensor as a backup?

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
question arises though: IS the internal temp sensor with the XP responsive enough to catch an overheat if the heatsink is ripped off?

When the motherboard uses amds specified thermal logic onboard it can indeed prevent a fry when the hsf is removed as evidenced by the video amd released several months ago.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ok thats cool.
i kinda gave up watching those vids with all the crap circulating about them :smile:

now all we have to do is to test if the soltec or the asus or the msi boards are up to the challenge of obeying amd specifications...

its very sad to see how slow & bad they are.
sockets surrounded by capacitors, ramclips unmovable with an agp card in, and when did the XP come out? and it was only in the later versions of the kt266a/ early kt333 that we see any proper thermal protection.

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink: