I'm scared to build a high-end computer!

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I just recently made two one ghz system recently, and they work beautifully and smoothly. They were for friends.
Soon, I'm going to have to build mine using some gift money I've recieved. Building the parts from newegg (including 19" monitor) costs about 2940, and buying from a company like Dell/Alienware/Hypersonic costs 3500-3790.

Needless to say, I save almost 1k in cash. Here's why I'm scared building my computer.

My computer (unlike the 1ghz) will be TOP of the line. The 1ghz processors were 70 bucks a pop. My processor will cost at least 300 bucks. The first time I installed a heatsink fan it was so hard to get in on the 370 socket I thought I had ordered the wrong type of processor or motherboard. I actually had to take a screwdriver and BEND the metal out quite to get it to even remotely fit at all.

The point is, installing the HSF was nerve-wracking, but wasn't so bad when I was using a 70 dollar processor. Using a 300+ dollar processor will be ALOT different. I don't wan't to end up breaking my processor, ordering a new one, thereby having almost NO savings over buying my comp commercially.

Anyone else have a hard time attaching a HSF? Words of encouragement? Tips? Thanks, I'm kinda nervous. Here are the stats. NOT interested in overclocking CPU btw.

2.X GHZ Pentium4
1GB RDRAM
Audigy
Klipsch 4.1
950+ Multisync
850E Tehama
NIC, Ti4600,PCI modem, etc etc

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

dttdar

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
i've never had any problems installing one, but some times i get a little worried that i'm applying too much pressure. That's why I bought a Swiftech (www.swiftnets.com) hsf. All you have to do is screw those on.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Installing the retail heatsink on a 478 processor is stupidly easy, you don't have anything to worry about, believe me.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
It was a b**** on a socket370 1ghz celeron. =P

I read something about "crusing the core"? Usually AMD is mentioned, but i'm not sure.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I have this huge screwdriver so if it jump off the clip I can always hope it goes through the motherboard and then I don't have to bother with it anymore.

<A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/coolers/" target="_new">no for real I do!</A>

but try using a flat screwdriver which will fit into the clip right, it makes the install/remove a breeze. Also a lot less chance to crush the CPU since you don't need to use so much force to install it.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
don't worry, p4 systems are very easy to put together and won't meltdown if you mess something up.. no need to worry

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Not worried about frying CPU, but breaking while attaching HSF.

Doing a 70 dollar celeron was no biggie, but I'm scared at the prospect of even the possibility of messing up a 300+ dollar processor.

dhlucke

Polypheme
You can take it to a local computer shop and they'll install the HSF for you for a few bucks.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
installing pentium 4 heat sinks is extremely simple. Its as easy as putting the HSF in place, pushing it down, and sliding two clips over (with a retail HSF anyways). You can watch it done in this <A HREF="http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/ocz/soyo_p4i/video_review.htm" target="_new">video review</A>

If my response is brief and vague its because the info you provided is too!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*sighs*

if you dont feel confident doing it yourself, get a pro to do it.
this applies to all things really.
a few bucks instillation charge is a small price for piece of mind.
plus u can watch and learn!

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?

FatBurger

Illustrious
The only time there really is a valid reason to be afraid of crushing the core is with the first orbs Thermaltake came out with (Super Orb? can't remember), that basically screwed down onto the CPU. These put too much pressure on the chip and destroyed the core.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

G

All I can do here is reiterate the simplicity of this project. P4's are a complete breeze, and there is very VERY rarely any kind of problem with the heatsink installation. I have been building them for a long time, and I have probably done anywhere from 20-40 systems with P4s in them, and have yet to have anything go wrong.

AMD is a different story. The core on those suckers can be a little more fear-inducing than that of the P4, but an easy fix to that is to buy a CPU shim... then it is about as easy as a P4. Good luck man...

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Should be a breeze, f you have done it before should be no prob!! If you are really scared get a friend or local shop to do it for free/a few bucks.

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

simactive

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I have a I810e mobo my intel. Well my cpu is one massive heatsink becuase gateway decided not to put a fan on it. So... i was wondering if there is thermal glue under it. Would it be possible to remove the heat sink? Not that i am going to just wondering. Is it very neccisary to have thermaglue when you install the heatsink on the cpu??? if not would it damage the cpu? thx

\\\//3// 7//3 31337 (0///3 |=0|2 J0/\ 83 |234|)j!!!1