Sign in with
Your question

random shut off

Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2002 6:18:45 AM

i built my sister a computer and it randomly turns off for no apparent reason. first i thought power supply, so i put a 300 watt enermax in it with no improvment. its an msi nforce mobo, 900 duron, crucial ram. funny thing is, you cant turn it back on right away, you have to turn the power strip off (dont know if simply unpluging it will do the same) then back on again to turn it on. im thinking the power strip could be bad. or could be the power to the house, its out in the middle of no where and i think there is a short or somthing somewhere. what else could it be? im gonna try getting an ups from work to see if that helps. but first im going to bring it over to my house and see how it runs here.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

More about : random shut

April 15, 2002 6:51:51 AM

ECS K7S5A?

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.
April 15, 2002 6:53:05 AM

Oops. I should learn how to read.

Related resources
April 15, 2002 6:54:11 AM

hehe

April 15, 2002 4:37:27 PM

When something like that happens it's usually the ps or RAM. It's weird that you have to turn the power strip off. It's just a power strip not a surge protector?

I think you're on the right track by hooking it up to a UPS. Surge protectors will prevent surges but not dips. My friend had a huge problem with data corruption. His house was built in 1964 and had never gotten rewired or upgraded. It has 100 amp power which is alright, but with all the modern appliances it should be upgraded to at least 150 amp. To make a long story short, he got a quality surge protector which cut down on the problems but they didn't go away until he got a UPS.

April 15, 2002 5:05:01 PM

Yeah, try a UPS. My friend at work also has a house with old wiring and he had all kinds of random reboot problems until he bought a UPS. All of the problems disappeared after he installed the UPS.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."
April 16, 2002 2:46:57 AM

any one know of a good place to get an ups? under 50 bucks would be awsome. i found a belkin on buy.com for 35, but standard shipping is 25 bucks!

April 16, 2002 3:00:31 AM

I don't know where you can get one under $50, but I got mine at Sam's Club for $79. It's an APC Back-Ups Office 500. It works very well for home use. My friend with the power problems in his house bought the same one.

I don't know how good one under $50 would be, but who knows?

Good Luck.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."
April 16, 2002 3:09:18 AM

Make sure you get one with enough power to support your system. Otherwise you will get audible beeps and stuff from the UPS.
!