shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I've been hearing on different sites that amd chips need better cooling than they come with to keep from overheating. I may have only been hearing this in regards to overclocking, though. Will I be safe with the fans that accompany the retail chip? I'm not overclocking.

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
the reatil fan are adequate enough if you are not overclocking, but you should also keep your case temp as low as possible

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've been hearing on different sites that amd chips need better cooling than they come with to keep from overheating. I may have only been hearing this in regards to overclocking, though. Will I be safe with the fans that accompany the retail chip? I'm not overclocking.
this is true. also, even if you're not overclocking you need to watch your temps and depending on where you live, it can contribute to your pc's overall temps.

AMD cpus are notorious overheaters you can't shake this rep, this is a fact no matter what matisaro or amd_man or eden or any mongrel says(these ppl live in Canada or the upper NW go figure).

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
That's odd, considering that my .13 NW ran hotter at stock speeds than my .18 Tbird ever did, even OCed. And I've got a much better heatsink on the NW than on my Tbird.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
AMDMeltdown is just jealous that I have more respect than him here in this community. :tongue:

AMDMeltdown knows nothing of the art of diplomacy. How does he expect people to listen to him whne he calls anyone who doesn't agree with him mongrels. Hmm...

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Much of this is due to a difference in where the temperature is measured. The P4's temp is measured on die, whereas the Athlon's is measured at the socket except with the latest Athlon mobos that use the Palomino's thermal diode. Obviously the P4 will generally show a higher temp in this situation.

Anything other than on-die measurement is quite meaningless as an empirical value, but the socket temp can still be used to gauge proximity to instability. For example, 60°C *at the socket* is generally considered "too hot" for an Athlon and will usually result in a reboot when running an extremely stressful application like CPUBURN. But 60°C at the socket usually means well over 100°C at the core.

Ritesh

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ritesh_laud on 04/15/02 05:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
But 60°C at the socket usually means well over 100°C at the core.
There's where your reasoning is flawed. At 100C, the Athlon would be destroyed. You seem to forget that the thermal sensors under the CPU calibrate for the space between the sensor the CPU core. The accuracy of this calibration, however, is questionable. Asus seems to always overestimate the temp of the CPU, for example.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Meltdung is the biggest troll this forum has.

Athlon processors run just fine with the stock HSF. If you use arctic silver you can even overclock with it. I have a 1700+ (1466MHz) running as a 2000+ (1666MHz) with the stock HSF and Arctic Silver II, no problem. If you do heavy OCing, though, I do recommend the Volcano 6cu ($13). Steer clear of the "6cu+"; it is extremely loud. The 6cu is not noticably louder than the stock, but cools about 7 degrees C better.

Pentium 4 processors actually run hotter than Athlons (and require much larger HSFs).

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
If you are not OCing its fine. I have a 1400 Tbird (the hottest Athlon based chip made, the new XPs are much cooler) and the retail HSF along with 4 10000 RPM drives and the case is cool, the chip is cool (50 max), and its perfectly stable......

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Yes, it would be destroyed, if it wasn't for the reboot. :)

What happens if doesn't reboot? The abundance of Athlon keychains should make that point clear to ya.

Ritesh

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's odd, considering that my .13 NW ran hotter at stock speeds than my .18 Tbird ever did, even OCed. And I've got a much better heatsink on the NW than on my Tbird.
what's your specs again? and where is the placement of your system: desk or floor? I'll tell you where you went wrong.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmmm, I ran my Athlon at 60c (overclocked with the retail HSF) for 1 month and there's not even a scorch mark on it. You may notice that my first post was about my system being unstable due to the temp, but a couple of days later, I realized that I had bad RAM adn there was nothing with the CPU. As a side note, according to Sandra or MBM, my CPU runs at 24C. According to VIA HM, it runs at 38C.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
what's your specs again? and where is the placement of your system: desk or floor? I'll tell you where you went wrong.
The mighty AMDMeltdown is never wrong! :tongue:

FatBurger

Illustrious

On the floor, but with 4 case fans, two PSU fans and an aluminum case.

Did I mention that with my Tbird I only had on case fan, one PSU fan and a smaller, steel case?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Well, the 24°C is probably the socket temperature. The 38°C could be the calibrated guess you're talking about, which in your case is apparently 14° higher than the socket. Or it may be more, who knows? But my point is, that when running an extremely intensive application like CPUBURN, the core temperature may be rising at a much faster rate than the socket, so that when the socket reports 60°C the CPU may be around 100°C or more when it reboots. Chips can usually survive such high temperatures for fractions of a second.

When I was overclocking my P3 to its limits, I would get around 95-100°C before the reboot. In actuality it was probably much higher than that for a fraction of a second. This was core temperature. Now I've backed off for the sake of stability. :)

eden

Champion
Man now it's 3 times Melty's really been proved wrong today in big hits!
I dunno how will he respond to that, he simply will try to make up more FUD.
And btw Melty, stop stereotyping us Canadians you jerk, it's not cuz it's "up here" that it's necessarily cold. It was over 27º in Hull Québec, the cold southern province, and last I heard, the only places very icy would be the northern territories as well as the north of Québec such as Rouyn Noranda. So please stop your stereotyping, because soon you are going to become a racist to me, and I do mean it.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
So please stop your stereotyping, because soon you are going to become a racist to me, and I do mean it.
lol, a U.S. person racist against Canada, we're practically the same country! 95% of our political, economical and social beliefs are similar.

Stereotyping Canada as a cold barren country is like stereotyping U.S. citizens as evil and arrogant (as Kennyshin said, lol).

eden

Champion
No not implying all US, that I would never say! I love US, but Meltdown is so annoying, his stereotyping sounds easily like racism, since he also disregards us Canadians because he thinks we live in a cold country and are not trustable in system temperature reporting... so in a way he is seperating us from the society just cuz we live in a so called Cold country, which to my book, is pretty racist.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
4 casefans!
good god!
im suprised your sticks of ram havnt been sucked right out their sockets! :wink:

seriously though, try turning off the front fans. if the rear fans are of any strength then case flowthru will still be quite acceptable.

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
They're low-speed ADDA fans. Not much airflow. The ones that come with the PC7.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm. well in my case i started with 2 thermaltake 2900rpm units (37cfm's).
now, i removed the front one alltogether due to noise, and the rear one is attached to the same rheostat that controls the cpu fan, and the rheostat is at minimum unless its really hot, so the sole casefan is probably only doing 1900-2000rpm, and the temps are very similar to what i had in the beginning. maybe 1-2C gain for ALOT of noise reduction.

also, ive taped up some of the passive holes at the back. so if one puts one hand up against the front intake you can still significantly feel the draw effects of the rear fan and psu fan.

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On the floor, but with 4 case fans, two PSU fans and an aluminum case.

Did I mention that with my Tbird I only had on case fan, one PSU fan and a smaller, steel case?
6 fans? you have too many fans that recycle the hot air, two psu fans and a front fan would be enough to blow out the hot air.

make sure you tuck in the cables or get rounded ones but you know this already right?