Are mad scientists allowed in AD&D ???

Last response: in Video Games
June 14, 2005 1:33:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,finet.unet (More info?)

Is the character of the mad scientists, known from many 50s B-movies,
allowed in AD&D´?

A mad scientist will use science to conquer or destroy the world, for
example by creating mutated monsters, weapons of mass destruction or
killer robots.

More about : mad scientists allowed

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:10:01 AM

Tristan Beeline wrote:
> Is the character of the mad scientists, known from many 50s B-movies,
> allowed in AD&D´?
>
> A mad scientist will use science to conquer or destroy the world, for
> example by creating mutated monsters, weapons of mass destruction or
> killer robots.

Chaositech has an interesting class, the Chaositechnician. They fit the
mad scientist bill nicely.

Lords of Madness also recently introduced the Fleshwarper or some such.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:22:05 AM

Tristan Beeline wrote:

> Is the character of the mad scientists, known from many 50s B-movies,
> allowed in AD&D´?

It is your game. You can have what you like in it.

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/&gt; <http://dorward.me.uk/&gt;
Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Tristan Beeline wrote:
> Is the character of the mad scientists, known from many 50s B-movies,
> allowed in AD&D´?
>
> A mad scientist will use science to conquer or destroy the world, for
> example by creating mutated monsters, weapons of mass destruction or
> killer robots.

They are great archtypes. However, I don't think they make for good
PCs. I don't really understand the fun of playing evil characters.
I've read the Evil Handbook, and I still don't get it.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:23:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,finet.unet (More info?)

Sure its allowed. How technically advanced is your game world? You could
range the villain from the mad Alchemist Dr. Jekyll (Transfiguring humans
and animals) to Dr. Frankenstein (Golems and clockwork horrors). Or you
could have a wizard creating purely magical constructs and letting them
run amok in the countryside.

Tristan Beeline wrote:
> Is the character of the mad scientists, known from many 50s B-movies,
> allowed in AD&D´?
>
> A mad scientist will use science to conquer or destroy the world, for
> example by creating mutated monsters, weapons of mass destruction or
> killer robots.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:59:01 PM

Shawn Roske wrote:

> They are great archtypes. However, I don't think they make for good
> PCs. I don't really understand the fun of playing evil characters.
> I've read the Evil Handbook, and I still don't get it.

That's a shame.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
danger. It works the same in any country.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:59:02 PM

Christopher Adams wrote:
> Shawn Roske wrote:
>
>>They are great archtypes. However, I don't think they make for good
>>PCs. I don't really understand the fun of playing evil characters.
>>I've read the Evil Handbook, and I still don't get it.
>

> That's a shame.

Well, I understand the idea of playing a kind of negative style. Done
in jest, as a parody, i could enjoy an evil campaign, I guess. In that
sense, I could do the mad scientist.

Pushed to the limit, with the gamut of evil being quite horrible, I
honestly would not enjoy it. I like virtue more than vice, but that's
me. When I was 12 or something, my games were more exploratory of
morality. Now, when I game, I want rightiousness, glory, and all the
good stuff.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:01:54 PM

"David Dorward" <dorward@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 8lt81$27m$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Tristan Beeline wrote:
>
>> Is the character of the mad scientists, known from many 50s
>> B-movies,
>> allowed in AD&D´?
>
> It is your game. You can have what you like in it.
>
> --
> David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/&gt;
> <http://dorward.me.uk/&gt;
> Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

As David says, your game, your rules to some degree. The problem comes
though
with the players you have. DO they really want to play in a game where
this situation
can arise. Is the situation still within the theme of the game or is
the Scientist creating
shotguns, vans, Mech assult vechiles, Mutants of super human size and
strength, or
Enchanted swords that act like chainsaws, and spray acid twenty feet
in an arc?

I'm not saying you'd take it this far, but where you draw the line
helps set the tone for the
entire game world.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:16:10 AM

"Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> writes:

>Shawn Roske wrote:
>>
>> They are great archtypes. However, I don't think they make for good
>> PCs. I don't really understand the fun of playing evil characters.
>> I've read the Evil Handbook, and I still don't get it.

>That's a shame.

I think evil characters are really well-suited to campaigns
with very few players. Or even one player, actually. Particularly
power-mad or power-hungry evil characters.

--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,finet.unet (More info?)

In article <3mzre.2094$Qr3.534345@news20.bellglobal.com>,
Shawn Roske <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Tristan Beeline wrote:
>> Is the character of the mad scientists, known from many 50s B-movies,
>> allowed in AD&D´?
>>
>> A mad scientist will use science to conquer or destroy the world, for
>> example by creating mutated monsters, weapons of mass destruction or
>> killer robots.
>
>They are great archtypes. However, I don't think they make for good
>PCs. I don't really understand the fun of playing evil characters.
>I've read the Evil Handbook, and I still don't get it.

I don't think the mad scientists is necessarly _evil_, driven,
misunderstood, willing to flaunt society's norms, but they don't have to be Evil....

OTOH a character focused in creating things that are as much a hazard to the
user as the target and useless in a fight may not sit well in many partys.
--
Michael
NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:39:37 -0400, Shawn Roske
<shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> dared speak in front of ME:

>Tristan Beeline wrote:
>> Is the character of the mad scientists, known from many 50s B-movies,
>> allowed in AD&D´?
>>
>> A mad scientist will use science to conquer or destroy the world, for
>> example by creating mutated monsters, weapons of mass destruction or
>> killer robots.
>
>They are great archtypes. However, I don't think they make for good
>PCs. I don't really understand the fun of playing evil characters.
>I've read the Evil Handbook, and I still don't get it.

1) finet.unet is a troll counting group. Unless you want to give them
points, strip it out of the reply.

2) I take it you weren't fond of "Chronicles of Riddick" either?
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

June 17, 2005 4:04:54 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:23:19 -0500, Rock-Viper
<rockvipe@comcastNOSPAM.net> dared speak in front of ME:

>Sure its allowed. How technically advanced is your game world?

Advanced enough to take over a newsgroup and use it as a base for
trolls.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

June 17, 2005 5:36:35 PM

Kaos wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:39:37 -0400, Shawn Roske
> <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> dared speak in front of ME:
>

>>Tristan Beeline wrote:
>>
>>>Is the character of the mad scientists, known from many 50s B-movies,
>>>allowed in AD&D´?
>>>
>>>A mad scientist will use science to conquer or destroy the world, for
>>>example by creating mutated monsters, weapons of mass destruction or
>>>killer robots.
>>
>>They are great archtypes. However, I don't think they make for good
>>PCs. I don't really understand the fun of playing evil characters.
>>I've read the Evil Handbook, and I still don't get it.
>

> 1) finet.unet is a troll counting group. Unless you want to give them
> points, strip it out of the reply.
>
> 2) I take it you weren't fond of "Chronicles of Riddick" either?

I havn't seen it yet. I liked Pitch Black.

My conclusion on morality is simple: every culture has mores and norms,
in that sense good and evil are relative. However, if you allow for
absolutes then there is a universal good and evil. Gurdjieff puts it
best that without an aim there is no morality. The only worthwhile aim
is self-emacipation or enlightenment, that is, to wake up from sleep.

Thus, what is good is anything that wakes me up and what is evil is
anything that furthers my sleep, making me more mechanical and robotic.
Furthermore, all the horrible behaviours of hummanity, from war to
inconsiderate roomates who don't clean the kitchen, are only possible in
sleep. This final point makes sense if you meditate on it a bit.
June 17, 2005 9:16:24 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:36:35 -0400, Shawn Roske
<shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> dared speak in front of ME:

>Kaos wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:39:37 -0400, Shawn Roske
>> <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> dared speak in front of ME:

>>>They are great archtypes. However, I don't think they make for good
>>>PCs. I don't really understand the fun of playing evil characters.
>>>I've read the Evil Handbook, and I still don't get it.
>>

>> 1) finet.unet is a troll counting group. Unless you want to give them
>> points, strip it out of the reply.
>>
>> 2) I take it you weren't fond of "Chronicles of Riddick" either?
>
>I havn't seen it yet. I liked Pitch Black.
>
>My conclusion on morality is simple: every culture has mores and norms,
>in that sense good and evil are relative.

Sure. Which is part of the fun of playing a D&D-Evil character: you
get to look at a fantasy world through the eyes of someone with a
different set of mores and norms. Someone who's concepts of good and
evil are different from your own.

Assuming you can get over the D&D metaphysical label he's acquired,
that is.

>However, if you allow for
>absolutes then there is a universal good and evil.

I prefer to use caps when talking about the universal versions.
Absolute Good and absolute Evil differ from relative good and relative
evil; creating the possibility that one might find Absolute Good to
be relatively evil.

>Thus, what is good is anything that wakes me up and what is evil is
>anything that furthers my sleep, making me more mechanical and robotic.

Hrm. Sounds like Gurdjieff is a bit of a chaote. Haven't looked into
him too much, yet.

> Furthermore, all the horrible behaviours of hummanity, from war to
>inconsiderate roomates who don't clean the kitchen, are only possible in
>sleep. This final point makes sense if you meditate on it a bit.

From some of the studies I saw in introductory psych, it would appear
that excessive contact with people is likely to put you to sleep.
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

June 18, 2005 2:15:08 PM

Piggybacking and snipping...

In article <ESDse.11500$Qr3.1214880@news20.bellglobal.com>,
shawn_roske@sympatico.ca says...

> >>I don't really understand the fun of playing evil characters.
> >>I've read the Evil Handbook, and I still don't get it.
> >
> > 2) I take it you weren't fond of "Chronicles of Riddick" either?

Riddick was Evil? In CoR at least, he seemed to exhibit the typical CG
"I'm not saving the world because I'm some wimp-ass goody two-shoes, I'm
saving the world because I want to, and I do whatever I want, get it?"
mindset.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

"Jasin Zujovic" <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote in message
> > > 2) I take it you weren't fond of "Chronicles of Riddick" either?
>
> Riddick was Evil? In CoR at least, he seemed to exhibit the typical CG
> "I'm not saving the world because I'm some wimp-ass goody two-shoes, I'm
> saving the world because I want to, and I do whatever I want, get it?"
> mindset.

You clearly need to become slightly more intelligent.

-Michael
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:36:42 PM

In article <RPYse.5716$hK3.1044@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
mistermichael@earthlink.net says...

> > Riddick was Evil? In CoR at least, he seemed to exhibit the typical CG
> > "I'm not saving the world because I'm some wimp-ass goody two-shoes, I'm
> > saving the world because I want to, and I do whatever I want, get it?"
> > mindset.
>
> You clearly need to become slightly more intelligent.

When does Riddick exhibit Evilness in CoR?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Michael Scott Brown <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:
>"Jasin Zujovic" <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote in message
>>
>> Riddick was Evil? In CoR at least, he seemed to exhibit the typical CG
>> "I'm not saving the world because I'm some wimp-ass goody two-shoes, I'm
>> saving the world because I want to, and I do whatever I want, get it?"
>> mindset.
>
> You clearly need to become slightly more intelligent.

That's probably true of most of us.

On the other hand I've only seen "Riddick" in "Pitch Black" which seemed
pretty clearly to be someone Evil starting out operating entirely out of
self-preservation and eventually moving a little bit closer to Neutral.

So I'd have guessed CN for the sequel (based solely on its being a sequel to
PB). How does CoR actually portray him?
June 20, 2005 5:14:45 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:15:08 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
scribed into the ether:

>Piggybacking and snipping...
>
>In article <ESDse.11500$Qr3.1214880@news20.bellglobal.com>,
>shawn_roske@sympatico.ca says...

>> > 2) I take it you weren't fond of "Chronicles of Riddick" either?
>
>Riddick was Evil?

He was described as a criminal, but I wouldn't categorize him as evil. He's
certainly brutal, but not sadistic.

> In CoR at least, he seemed to exhibit the typical CG
>"I'm not saving the world because I'm some wimp-ass goody two-shoes, I'm
>saving the world because I want to, and I do whatever I want, get it?"
>mindset.

Saving the world because you are a wimp-ass goody two-shoes is exactly CG
behavior.

Riddick is a character study in CN.
!