Sign in with
Your question

Help me select parts!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 16, 2002 3:44:08 AM

I'm building a new computer and want to know what you think about the parts I've chosen.

Amd 2100+ XP with thermaltake volcano 7
Gigabyte GA-7vrxp mobo
Visiontek geforce4 ti4600
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
256mb corsair pc2700 ram
Maxtor 60gb ata/133 hard drive
pioneer 16x slot dvd drive
plextor plexwriter 40x 12x 40x
Black Directron SF201-B
Enermax EG465P-VE 431 watt psu
What do you guys think? Should I go with the Asus A7v333 motherboard? If you think I should then tell me why.

More about : select parts

a b à CPUs
April 16, 2002 3:52:39 AM

No, I think you should get the Leadtek Winfast 7350KDA.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 16, 2002 9:11:39 AM

gigabyte is fine .... but i wondn't get a volcano7 for a xp 2100+... u should get the swiftech mcx462
and get the leadtek gf4 ti
Related resources
April 16, 2002 2:51:08 PM

I would porefer the A7V333 Mobo. Raid or not it pref. Well the reason why i would choose the A7V333 Asus Mobo would because of :
1) COP feature. It prevents you from burning your cpu. If you plan to OC this is even better so you would know when to add more HSF.
2) You can OC with this board nicely. Also the Athlon XP2100+ would be god combo with it. +_+
Well that is my oppinon. Overall it up to you to make this choice. Have fun and good luck!

\\\//3// 7//3 31337 (0///3 |=0|2 J0/\ 83 |234|)j!!!1
April 16, 2002 7:57:33 PM

I looked at the Swiftech hsf and it's 70 dollars. Now that's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. What are some good ones that are less expensive? Also do you know how to overclock an XP without unlocking it? Thanks
April 16, 2002 10:43:36 PM

Have a question for any of you. Is there a difference between the Socket A and a AMD Socket 462? If not Volcano7 are $22US.
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2002 10:48:44 PM

sam ting.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 16, 2002 11:51:22 PM

I like your choices even the Volcano7 (vs the 7+). If you are overclocking I would consider the Thermalright AX-7. (Choose the biggest, baddest fan with the amount of noise you can stand).

Is 256MB enough for Windows XP? I'm asking not criticizing. I want to know the answer.

What's a Black Directron? a monitor?

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
April 16, 2002 11:53:14 PM

Quote:

I like your choices even the Volcano7 (vs the 7+). If you are overclocking I would consider the Thermalright AX-7. (Choose the biggest, baddest fan with the amount of noise you can stand).

Or you can get a Volcano 7+ which performs nearly as well but is next to silent at low-speed.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2002 11:56:28 PM

Interesting......I am thinking about getting the exact same board with a lot of the same parts....

First of all the Visiontek card is a must have.....get the lifetime warranty

I am also getting PC2700 DDR ram but I am getting one gig.

Gotta love the AMD athlon XP 2100 +

One thing that I think you might want to consider if you feel like spending a little more cash is the Western Digital WD1200 JB hard drive......it is 120 gigs and the word on this site is that it will out perform certain scsi drives in some cases........

Hey I get my puter in like 2 months so e-mail me sometime and we can talk about our machines and see how it is going...

good luck.....
April 17, 2002 12:03:51 AM

Quote:
Or you can get a Volcano 7+ which performs nearly as well but is next to silent at low-speed.

You got me there but personally, I wouldn't like a fan that changes speeds. The change in sound would be too much of distraction.

It would take some experimenting with different fans but the AX-7 heatsink seems so efficient that it probably will work extrememly well with quiet fans (for non-overclockers).

April 17, 2002 12:33:16 AM

The Volcano 7+ can be adjusted manually unlike the Volcano 7, so you won't get sudden changes in noise level because you set the speed of the fan.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 17, 2002 1:02:42 AM

Quote:
2) You can OC with this board nicely. Also the Athlon XP2100+ would be god combo with it.

I tried it and was disappointed because of lacking documented memory voltage adjustment (you can't find how to increase DIMM's voltage anywhere in its manual although I suspected JP1 & 2 used for changing as same as A7V266-E). When setting to 166/33 CPU/PCI ratio, it couldn't boot it pass POST screen when I can run Windows easily on Abit KR7A-RAID.
<b><A HREF="http://www.tbreak.com/hard/mobo/asus_a7v333/page8.html" target="_new"><font color=red>Although ASUS gives you the options to adjust FSB speeds, Clock Multiplier and VCore, unfortunately, you cant adjust memory and AGP voltage. We would have especially liked to see memory voltage. For people who still like doing things the hard way, you have the option to adjust the FSB and VCore settings through onboard jumpers/switches.</A></font color=red></b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
April 17, 2002 1:14:03 AM

I just read about how loud they were (or could be). I missed the fact that the fan speed is adjustable. Cool!

April 17, 2002 2:23:15 AM

The black directron is an aluminum case from directron.com. 256mb ram should be enough for windows xp but I might go with 512mb instead. I'm afraid of crushing the processor when I put on the hsf are there any ways to help prevent this? I've seen aluminum covers that you put over your processor. Does anybody know if they work? Thanks
April 17, 2002 2:57:18 AM

Heatsink installation is easy. Just lay the motherboard flat, position it over the CPU, fasten the clip. Just be sure to hold the heatsink in place so it doesn't flip up. If you use the correct size screw driver to wedge into the slot on the clip then it can't slip. For some types this isn't possible but you may be able to use a nutdriver to cover the top of one side of the clip and this won't slip either. I'd avoid the clips that have just a bent tab of metal. A screw driver can easily slip off these (Ouch!). In any case, if you have to apply so much pressure that you need to put your weight on it then something is probably wrong.

You were talking about a shim. Until a few weeks ago I didn't believe in them. Badly designed ones can cause damage or prevent the heatsink from making adequate contact with the die. Plus, I wasn't convinced that they even can protect the core. I mean has anyone intentionally been abusive with the heatsink installation and tested a shim's protection abilities? They just seemed like a waste of money for someone who is careful.

Anyway, I believed this until I purchased a rather tall, heavy heatsink, the <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/331.htm?547" target="_new">Evercool CUD-715</A>. This thing has got to weigh about a full pound. I'm concerned that fishing around in my case I might bump thing and "lever it" enough to crush the core. I'm starting to think a shim might be good for insurance. The CUD-715 does work well (but I doubt it's in the same league with a Volcano 7+ or a AX-7).

My 2 cents.

!