AMD's Barton

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_608,00.html" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_608,00.html</A>
The new roadmap shows that AMD is continuing with Barton and it will have 512k L2 cache. Therefore the original rumors about the Thoroughbred with 512k cache are false.

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i thought the 512kb L2 rimour was disolved a while ago,
i am wonder if AMD will change their formula for determining the "PR" with Barton, because of the additional cache... i beleive the current formula is 1.5*clockspeed - 500

{bb || !bb} - Shakespeare

*homer simpson* mmmmm bart ... bart who farts, bart the tart, bart the big lart, bart that darts, bart mart, bart in a kart, bart the pussy heart. bart with a big heart, bart hart that darts ...

:)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

no not really ... has something to do with a couple of french guys in the front of my desk speaking french and i cna't understand a word they say :)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
Too bad you don't have voice recognition software running with Babel fish translating the text. It should make for some interesting reading.

just so you KNOW (bb || !bb) is always true ... so you can easily replace that with just (1) ... :)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 04/16/02 02:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
well... since voice recognition seems to work about 60% of the time, and babelfish french-english is pretty good, say about 70%... you might be able to get the "gist" of what they are saying, but then, who knows about french voice recognition? :smile: i think it would make a very interesting read... judging from some of the translations babelfish has given me...

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i know... but what if 'b' isn't declared?
c++ gives, shakespeare's hamlet a whole new dimension!

"to be, not to be, or if be is not declared..."
i know, my humour is poor... but <b>I</b> find it funny and that is all that matters...

eden

Champion
I hope this works well for AMD, this would give them an upper hand for Q3, right in time for the Hammer in Q4 or '03 Q1. Here's to see how they manage to squeeze Barton in those tight dates!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
well... since the identification of voice seems to function about 60% of time, and the French-English babelfish is very good, word about 70%... could you be able to obtain the "gist" of what they say, but then, that the identification of French voice knows? I think that it would make... judge read very interesting from some of the translations that the babelfish gave me...
Or, you can just run things through bablefish converting them from english to french to english again from this board and see what happens <See above text :wink: >

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
that <b>is</b> very funny, yet the service is free, and i use it from time to time... but maybe my perseption of the world is different because of it...
all i can say is lol...

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I hope this works well for AMD, this would give them an upper hand for Q3, right in time for the Hammer in Q4 or '03 Q1. Here's to see how they manage to squeeze Barton in those tight dates!

Some folks have suggested that Barton may be the version of the chip produced by UMC, ramping up late this year. That would give AMD the headroom they need to get Hammer going well, yet still produce ample Athlons.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
AMD had already sent out indications that SOI for Athlon (Barton) was no longer needed as Hammer was moving along better than expected. It looks like they simply resurrected the "Barton" name to bow to their critics (Athlon supporters included) and include 512kB L2 cache on the T-Bred core.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~ If you look closely, the mention of SOI technology is removed from the Barton entry. Intersting, eh? ~

The new AMD roadmap (as @ 17 April) has BArton with SOI.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I still say that AMD should have just ditched the Thoroughbred completely and gone straight to Barton.

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
How do you figure they will be able to produce ample Athlons? The last article that I read regarding AMD's roadmap mentioned that if they stuck to producing Barton they would increase the likelihood of running into production problems (can't remember where I read it). AMD would have to split their production between Barton, Thoroughbred, XPs, mobile XPs, and then both Hammer lines.

eden

Champion
I am starting to think that the Tbred is on purpose, slow in production in order to maintain Barton's integrity and production numbers. Thus low Tbred chip yeilds but high Barton ones, to end the Athlon with big reserves to rake some money before closing the die forever.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!