4600 and IEEE1394 Install

Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a IEEE1394
to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.

I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive in the
past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.

Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an actual
diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look for or
avoid?
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

David

jlp20@aol.comnocrap (JLP20) wrote in message news:<20041022184445.22383.00002349@mb-m17.aol.com>...
> Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a IEEE1394
> to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.
>
> I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive in the
> past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.
>
> Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an actual
> diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look for or
> avoid?
> "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

Try this link to newegg.com.
They are a reputable dealer...
http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0

>jlp20@aol.comnocrap (JLP20) wrote in message
>> Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a
>IEEE1394
>> to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.
>>
>> I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive in
>the
>> past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.
>>
>> Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an actual
>> diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look for
>or
>> avoid?
>> "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
>
>Try this link to newegg.com.
>They are a reputable dealer...
>http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0

OK, I'll try again. I have seen IEEE 1394 cards go for as little as $15.00 on
eBay, while they are over $60.00 on the Dell site.

What is the difference between all these cards. What do I look for and what
should I avoid???

"JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message

>>jlp20@aol.comnocrap (JLP20) wrote in message
>>> Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a
>>IEEE1394
>>> to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.
>>>
>>> I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive
>>> in
>>the
>>> past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.
>>>
>>> Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an
>>> actual
>>> diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look
>>> for
>>or
>>> avoid?
>>> "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
>>
>>Try this link to newegg.com.
>>They are a reputable dealer...
>>http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0
>
> OK, I'll try again. I have seen IEEE 1394 cards go for as little as $15.00
> on
> eBay, while they are over $60.00 on the Dell site.
>
> What is the difference between all these cards. What do I look for and
> what
> should I avoid???
> "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

JLP,

I've no idea what, if any, performance differences there may be between
brands, but I'd like to offer some general advice.

IMO, you'd be better off ponying up a few extra bucks from a known-name mfr.
such as SIIG, Adaptec, or Belkin if only for a couple of reasons: 1) the
company will likely be around for a while, resulting in 2) an increased
likelihood that the install and function will go well in Windows and if
not - your chances are better for support websites and software downloads
and any future driver updates.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=1394+card&InnerCata=73

While I don't currently use Firewire, I did recently add a (cheap) KingWin
USB 2.0 PCI card from newegg. The price was so ridiculously low that I
half-expected the card to work only as a fishing lure.

Ultimately, I had to bounce it around in 2-3 (PCI) slots before it was
properly recognized, but other than that, the install and function have been
fine. I use the card only for printers and my digital still camera.

If you're going to use the card heavily, I'd spend a small amount more for
the website and driver/software support.

Hope this is of some help.

Stew

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

S.Lewis wrote:
> "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
>
>>>jlp20@aol.comnocrap (JLP20) wrote in message

>>>IEEE1394

>>>Try this link to newegg.com.
>>>They are a reputable dealer...
>>>http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0
>>
>>OK, I'll try again. I have seen IEEE 1394 cards go for as little as $15.00
>>on
>>eBay, while they are over $60.00 on the Dell site.
>>
>>What is the difference between all these cards. What do I look for and
>>what
>>should I avoid???
>>"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
>
> JLP,
>
> I've no idea what, if any, performance differences there may be between
> brands, but I'd like to offer some general advice.
>
> IMO, you'd be better off ponying up a few extra bucks from a known-name mfr.
> such as SIIG, Adaptec, or Belkin if only for a couple of reasons: 1) the
> company will likely be around for a while, resulting in 2) an increased
> likelihood that the install and function will go well in Windows and if
> not - your chances are better for support websites and software downloads
> and any future driver updates.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=1394+card&InnerCata=73
>
> While I don't currently use Firewire, I did recently add a (cheap) KingWin
> USB 2.0 PCI card from newegg. The price was so ridiculously low that I
> half-expected the card to work only as a fishing lure.
>
> Ultimately, I had to bounce it around in 2-3 (PCI) slots before it was
> properly recognized, but other than that, the install and function have been
> fine. I use the card only for printers and my digital still camera.
>
> If you're going to use the card heavily, I'd spend a small amount more for
> the website and driver/software support.
>
> Hope this is of some help.

You might also want to look into the possibility of an IEEE1394 port
integrated into another card, e.g., my Audigy 2 ZS sound card includes
an IEEE1394 port, as does my Pinnacle TV capture card. IMHO both those
companies are likely to be around for a while. I haven't used an
IEEE1394 port yet, because my 4550 has USB2 (which I use all the time).

I agree that Newegg would be a good place to look for a card.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message

>>>OK, I'll try again. I have seen IEEE 1394 cards go for as little as
>>>$15.00 on
>>>eBay, while they are over $60.00 on the Dell site.
>>>
>>>What is the difference between all these cards. What do I look for and
>>>what
>>>should I avoid???
>>>"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
>>
>> JLP,
>>
>> I've no idea what, if any, performance differences there may be between
>> brands, but I'd like to offer some general advice.
>>
>> IMO, you'd be better off ponying up a few extra bucks from a known-name
>> mfr. such as SIIG, Adaptec, or Belkin if only for a couple of reasons: 1)
>> the company will likely be around for a while, resulting in 2) an
>> increased likelihood that the install and function will go well in
>> Windows and if not - your chances are better for support websites and
>> software downloads and any future driver updates.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=1394+card&InnerCata=73
>>
>> While I don't currently use Firewire, I did recently add a (cheap)
>> KingWin USB 2.0 PCI card from newegg. The price was so ridiculously low
>> that I half-expected the card to work only as a fishing lure.
>>
>> Ultimately, I had to bounce it around in 2-3 (PCI) slots before it was
>> properly recognized, but other than that, the install and function have
>> been fine. I use the card only for printers and my digital still camera.
>>
>> If you're going to use the card heavily, I'd spend a small amount more
>> for the website and driver/software support.
>>
>> Hope this is of some help.
>
> You might also want to look into the possibility of an IEEE1394 port
> integrated into another card, e.g., my Audigy 2 ZS sound card includes an
> IEEE1394 port, as does my Pinnacle TV capture card. IMHO both those
> companies are likely to be around for a while. I haven't used an IEEE1394
> port yet, because my 4550 has USB2 (which I use all the time).
>
> I agree that Newegg would be a good place to look for a card.

As a side note, he's likely to lose front headphone function if he adds a
3rd party PCI sound card. The cable connect is Dell proprietary.

fwiw

Stew

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

S.Lewis wrote:

> "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
>
>>S.Lewis wrote:

<snip>

>>>I've no idea what, if any, performance differences there may be between
>>>brands, but I'd like to offer some general advice.
>>>
>>>IMO, you'd be better off ponying up a few extra bucks from a known-name
>>>mfr. such as SIIG, Adaptec, or Belkin if only for a couple of reasons: 1)
>>>the company will likely be around for a while, resulting in 2) an
>>>increased likelihood that the install and function will go well in
>>>Windows and if not - your chances are better for support websites and
>>>software downloads and any future driver updates.
>>>
>>>http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=1394+card&InnerCata=73
>>>
>>>While I don't currently use Firewire, I did recently add a (cheap)
>>>KingWin USB 2.0 PCI card from newegg. The price was so ridiculously low
>>>that I half-expected the card to work only as a fishing lure.
>>>
>>>Ultimately, I had to bounce it around in 2-3 (PCI) slots before it was
>>>properly recognized, but other than that, the install and function have
>>>been fine. I use the card only for printers and my digital still camera.
>>>
>>>If you're going to use the card heavily, I'd spend a small amount more
>>>for the website and driver/software support.
>>>
>>>Hope this is of some help.
>>
>>You might also want to look into the possibility of an IEEE1394 port
>>integrated into another card, e.g., my Audigy 2 ZS sound card includes an
>>IEEE1394 port, as does my Pinnacle TV capture card. IMHO both those
>>companies are likely to be around for a while. I haven't used an IEEE1394
>>port yet, because my 4550 has USB2 (which I use all the time).
>>
>>I agree that Newegg would be a good place to look for a card.
>
> As a side note, he's likely to lose front headphone function if he adds a
> 3rd party PCI sound card. The cable connect is Dell proprietary.

True, but the Audigy 2 ZS has a headphone port (the model I have has a
breakout box on my desktop (External?)).

> S.Lewis wrote:
>
>> "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
>>
>>>S.Lewis wrote:
>
> <snip>

>>>You might also want to look into the possibility of an IEEE1394 port
>>>integrated into another card, e.g., my Audigy 2 ZS sound card includes an
>>>IEEE1394 port, as does my Pinnacle TV capture card. IMHO both those
>>>companies are likely to be around for a while. I haven't used an IEEE1394
>>>port yet, because my 4550 has USB2 (which I use all the time).
>>>
>>>I agree that Newegg would be a good place to look for a card.
>>
>> As a side note, he's likely to lose front headphone function if he adds a
>> 3rd party PCI sound card. The cable connect is Dell proprietary.
>
> True, but the Audigy 2 ZS has a headphone port (the model I have has a
> breakout box on my desktop (External?)).

Thanks for the correction. That possibility had occurred to me had I been
thorough and searched it. I was not aware that particular Audigy had
externals.

Stew

ahall

JLP20> Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a IEEE1394
JLP20> to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.

Make that a DVD, an hour of DV is about 13gig. You do
not want to compress further for archive purposes.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)