4600 and IEEE1394 Install

Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a IEEE1394
to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.

I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive in the
past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.

Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an actual
diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look for or
avoid?
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
8 answers Last reply
More about 4600 ieee1394 install

    jlp20@aol.comnocrap (JLP20) wrote in message news:<20041022184445.22383.00002349@mb-m17.aol.com>...
    > Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a IEEE1394
    > to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.
    >
    > I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive in the
    > past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.
    >
    > Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an actual
    > diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look for or
    > avoid?
    > "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

    Try this link to newegg.com.
    They are a reputable dealer...
    http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0

    >jlp20@aol.comnocrap (JLP20) wrote in message
    >> Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a
    >IEEE1394
    >> to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.
    >>
    >> I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive in
    >the
    >> past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.
    >>
    >> Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an actual
    >> diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look for
    >or
    >> avoid?
    >> "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
    >
    >Try this link to newegg.com.
    >They are a reputable dealer...
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0

    OK, I'll try again. I have seen IEEE 1394 cards go for as little as $15.00 on
    eBay, while they are over $60.00 on the Dell site.

    What is the difference between all these cards. What do I look for and what
    should I avoid???

    "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message

    >>jlp20@aol.comnocrap (JLP20) wrote in message
    >>> Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a
    >>IEEE1394
    >>> to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.
    >>>
    >>> I have been in a few computers to added memory and install a hard drive
    >>> in
    >>the
    >>> past, as far as difficulty is this about the same.
    >>>
    >>> Have priced several units and find a wide price range. Is there an
    >>> actual
    >>> diference in these cards? If there is a difference, what should I look
    >>> for
    >>or
    >>> avoid?
    >>> "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
    >>
    >>Try this link to newegg.com.
    >>They are a reputable dealer...
    >>http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0
    >
    > OK, I'll try again. I have seen IEEE 1394 cards go for as little as $15.00
    > on
    > eBay, while they are over $60.00 on the Dell site.
    >
    > What is the difference between all these cards. What do I look for and
    > what
    > should I avoid???
    > "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

    JLP,

    I've no idea what, if any, performance differences there may be between
    brands, but I'd like to offer some general advice.

    IMO, you'd be better off ponying up a few extra bucks from a known-name mfr.
    such as SIIG, Adaptec, or Belkin if only for a couple of reasons: 1) the
    company will likely be around for a while, resulting in 2) an increased
    likelihood that the install and function will go well in Windows and if
    not - your chances are better for support websites and software downloads
    and any future driver updates.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=1394+card&InnerCata=73

    While I don't currently use Firewire, I did recently add a (cheap) KingWin
    USB 2.0 PCI card from newegg. The price was so ridiculously low that I
    half-expected the card to work only as a fishing lure.

    Ultimately, I had to bounce it around in 2-3 (PCI) slots before it was
    properly recognized, but other than that, the install and function have been
    fine. I use the card only for printers and my digital still camera.

    If you're going to use the card heavily, I'd spend a small amount more for
    the website and driver/software support.

    Hope this is of some help.

    Stew

    S.Lewis wrote:
    > "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
    >
    >>>jlp20@aol.comnocrap (JLP20) wrote in message

    >>>IEEE1394

    >>>Try this link to newegg.com.
    >>>They are a reputable dealer...
    >>>http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0
    >>
    >>OK, I'll try again. I have seen IEEE 1394 cards go for as little as $15.00
    >>on
    >>eBay, while they are over $60.00 on the Dell site.
    >>
    >>What is the difference between all these cards. What do I look for and
    >>what
    >>should I avoid???
    >>"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
    >
    > JLP,
    >
    > I've no idea what, if any, performance differences there may be between
    > brands, but I'd like to offer some general advice.
    >
    > IMO, you'd be better off ponying up a few extra bucks from a known-name mfr.
    > such as SIIG, Adaptec, or Belkin if only for a couple of reasons: 1) the
    > company will likely be around for a while, resulting in 2) an increased
    > likelihood that the install and function will go well in Windows and if
    > not - your chances are better for support websites and software downloads
    > and any future driver updates.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=1394+card&InnerCata=73
    >
    > While I don't currently use Firewire, I did recently add a (cheap) KingWin
    > USB 2.0 PCI card from newegg. The price was so ridiculously low that I
    > half-expected the card to work only as a fishing lure.
    >
    > Ultimately, I had to bounce it around in 2-3 (PCI) slots before it was
    > properly recognized, but other than that, the install and function have been
    > fine. I use the card only for printers and my digital still camera.
    >
    > If you're going to use the card heavily, I'd spend a small amount more for
    > the website and driver/software support.
    >
    > Hope this is of some help.

    You might also want to look into the possibility of an IEEE1394 port
    integrated into another card, e.g., my Audigy 2 ZS sound card includes
    an IEEE1394 port, as does my Pinnacle TV capture card. IMHO both those
    companies are likely to be around for a while. I haven't used an
    IEEE1394 port yet, because my 4550 has USB2 (which I use all the time).

    I agree that Newegg would be a good place to look for a card.

    "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
    > S.Lewis wrote:
    >> "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message

    >>>OK, I'll try again. I have seen IEEE 1394 cards go for as little as
    >>>$15.00 on
    >>>eBay, while they are over $60.00 on the Dell site.
    >>>
    >>>What is the difference between all these cards. What do I look for and
    >>>what
    >>>should I avoid???
    >>>"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
    >>
    >> JLP,
    >>
    >> I've no idea what, if any, performance differences there may be between
    >> brands, but I'd like to offer some general advice.
    >>
    >> IMO, you'd be better off ponying up a few extra bucks from a known-name
    >> mfr. such as SIIG, Adaptec, or Belkin if only for a couple of reasons: 1)
    >> the company will likely be around for a while, resulting in 2) an
    >> increased likelihood that the install and function will go well in
    >> Windows and if not - your chances are better for support websites and
    >> software downloads and any future driver updates.
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=1394+card&InnerCata=73
    >>
    >> While I don't currently use Firewire, I did recently add a (cheap)
    >> KingWin USB 2.0 PCI card from newegg. The price was so ridiculously low
    >> that I half-expected the card to work only as a fishing lure.
    >>
    >> Ultimately, I had to bounce it around in 2-3 (PCI) slots before it was
    >> properly recognized, but other than that, the install and function have
    >> been fine. I use the card only for printers and my digital still camera.
    >>
    >> If you're going to use the card heavily, I'd spend a small amount more
    >> for the website and driver/software support.
    >>
    >> Hope this is of some help.
    >
    > You might also want to look into the possibility of an IEEE1394 port
    > integrated into another card, e.g., my Audigy 2 ZS sound card includes an
    > IEEE1394 port, as does my Pinnacle TV capture card. IMHO both those
    > companies are likely to be around for a while. I haven't used an IEEE1394
    > port yet, because my 4550 has USB2 (which I use all the time).
    >
    > I agree that Newegg would be a good place to look for a card.

    As a side note, he's likely to lose front headphone function if he adds a
    3rd party PCI sound card. The cable connect is Dell proprietary.

    fwiw

    Stew

    S.Lewis wrote:

    > "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
    >
    >>S.Lewis wrote:

    <snip>

    >>>I've no idea what, if any, performance differences there may be between
    >>>brands, but I'd like to offer some general advice.
    >>>
    >>>IMO, you'd be better off ponying up a few extra bucks from a known-name
    >>>mfr. such as SIIG, Adaptec, or Belkin if only for a couple of reasons: 1)
    >>>the company will likely be around for a while, resulting in 2) an
    >>>increased likelihood that the install and function will go well in
    >>>Windows and if not - your chances are better for support websites and
    >>>software downloads and any future driver updates.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=1394+card&InnerCata=73
    >>>
    >>>While I don't currently use Firewire, I did recently add a (cheap)
    >>>KingWin USB 2.0 PCI card from newegg. The price was so ridiculously low
    >>>that I half-expected the card to work only as a fishing lure.
    >>>
    >>>Ultimately, I had to bounce it around in 2-3 (PCI) slots before it was
    >>>properly recognized, but other than that, the install and function have
    >>>been fine. I use the card only for printers and my digital still camera.
    >>>
    >>>If you're going to use the card heavily, I'd spend a small amount more
    >>>for the website and driver/software support.
    >>>
    >>>Hope this is of some help.
    >>
    >>You might also want to look into the possibility of an IEEE1394 port
    >>integrated into another card, e.g., my Audigy 2 ZS sound card includes an
    >>IEEE1394 port, as does my Pinnacle TV capture card. IMHO both those
    >>companies are likely to be around for a while. I haven't used an IEEE1394
    >>port yet, because my 4550 has USB2 (which I use all the time).
    >>
    >>I agree that Newegg would be a good place to look for a card.
    >
    > As a side note, he's likely to lose front headphone function if he adds a
    > 3rd party PCI sound card. The cable connect is Dell proprietary.

    True, but the Audigy 2 ZS has a headphone port (the model I have has a
    breakout box on my desktop (External?)).

    > S.Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>S.Lewis wrote:
    >
    > <snip>

    >>>You might also want to look into the possibility of an IEEE1394 port
    >>>integrated into another card, e.g., my Audigy 2 ZS sound card includes an
    >>>IEEE1394 port, as does my Pinnacle TV capture card. IMHO both those
    >>>companies are likely to be around for a while. I haven't used an IEEE1394
    >>>port yet, because my 4550 has USB2 (which I use all the time).
    >>>
    >>>I agree that Newegg would be a good place to look for a card.
    >>
    >> As a side note, he's likely to lose front headphone function if he adds a
    >> 3rd party PCI sound card. The cable connect is Dell proprietary.
    >
    > True, but the Audigy 2 ZS has a headphone port (the model I have has a
    > breakout box on my desktop (External?)).

    Thanks for the correction. That possibility had occurred to me had I been
    thorough and searched it. I was not aware that particular Audigy had
    externals.

    Stew

    JLP20> Got a great deal on eBay on a digital camcorder. I need to install a IEEE1394
    JLP20> to transfer and burn to CD my tapes.

    Make that a DVD, an hour of DV is about 13gig. You do
    not want to compress further for archive purposes.

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Dell Computers