Windows 7 Reinstallation Help

reznapvi2

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Hello,

About a year ago i bought a pre built pc that came with Windows 7 home premium and a Windows 7 home premium

reinstallation disc, (It says 'For distribution only with a new american future technology pc) what does this mean?. Now, i am

upgrading my pc, the CPU, and Motherboard. But, I am very confused on how this will

work out. First, Would i keep everything on my hard drive, or do i have to uninstall anything? Second, Would i use the

same activation code that came with my pre built pc? If not what should i do? What will happen when i put the

new motherboard in, anything i should be aware of? I've never done this before and a very simple walkthrough would

be much appreciated.

Thanks!

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Lets take a guess here.... did you buy this pre-built computer from American Future Technology? That's probably why the disc says that.

If you are upgrading your CPU and motherboard you might not be able to use the product key you have for your system because that key is likely an OEM key.

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I believe once you change out the motherboard, you are forced to buy a product key from Microsoft. I reformatted last month with a different processor(CPU) but kept the same motherboard, and the same product key worked. So I did a little research and most tech sites(this one included), on their Forums, state once you change to a different motherboard, you're forced to buy a new product key. Sucks, I know, but that's part of the reason Microsoft is a money-making corp.