Floppy does not work after building new system

jkadesjo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Floppy does not work after building new system

Hi!

After I built my new system I have had problems with getting my floppy disk drive to work. When I try to access it windows says that the floppy disk is not formatted. Sometimes I get an error message that says that there is an O/I error. I have checked that the flat cable is inserter correct. I have tried all four ways anyway. I have tried making some changes in BIOS. The only thing I have found that could make any difference is the option to enable/disable “boot up floppy seek”. I get the same error message either way. I have had the same problem with the three systems I have built.

/Johan

EPoX 8KHA+
Athlon XP 1800+
ATI Radeon 8500 Retail
IBM 120GXP
SB Live! Player 5.1

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
You might check in your BIOS for something called "Enable FDC" or something. I'm not sure if that "boot up floppy seek" is the same thing or not. I accidentally disabled my FDC (floppy drive controller) in the BIOS one time and couldn't figure out why my floppy drive wasn't working.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Turn floppy seek on and check to see if the light turns on for a few seconds at boot. If it stays on constantly you probably have the cable installed backwards. The striped edge should be aligned with the >1 pin on both the floppy and mobo. The floppy should also be plugged into the last connector - the one closest to the small twisted section. The other end should be connected to the mobo. The middle connector is for a second floppy - if you have one. If it doesn't turn on at all, check the power cable - it should be one of the small 4 pin (3 wire usually) connectors.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.