current AMD mobos' thermal sensor works!

eden

Champion
Ok to start, any of you who live in the southern ontario or Québec, will have for sure heard of how incredibly hot the last 2 days were up here in Canada. Well guys, I dunno but it was so hot in my house, and I had set my 8KHA+ to put up a warning temp at 53º, and my bro just got the alarm! Most said the current mobos' sensors aren't too accurate or don't have a good job at it, but for now a part of the thermal integration has enabled. Now I set the warn temp at 56º, and put on my room fan, because like I said, it is incredibly hot like hell for an April in Québec.

My question is, should I start worrying? And is 56º warn and 60º shut off a good setup? Also my usual temps were around 42º with a 30º system temp. Is it normal that it suddenly went up to 53º with 35º case temp just because it's a tad hotter inside the case?
I currently have 2 case fans, all sides of case have 2 big groups of air holes and thus I ponder on why such weak airflow! It is on a tabletop, with the back facing the wall about 2dm far and near the computer desk by 1.3dm or so. What should I do?? At the moment, my Volcano 7 has officially demonstrated plane noise is indeed simulatable inside a computer! :lol:

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 04/16/02 08:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok to start, any of you who live in the southern ontario or Québec, will have for sure heard of how incredibly hot the last 2 days were up here in Canada. Well guys, I dunno but it was so hot in my house, and I had set my 8KHA+ to put up a warning temp at 53º, and my bro just got the alarm! Most said the current mobos' sensors aren't too accurate or don't have a good job at it, but for now a part of the thermal integration has enabled. Now I set the warn temp at 56º, and put on my room fan, because like I said, it is incredibly hot like hell for an April in Québec.

My question is, should I start worrying? And is 56º warn and 60º shut off a good setup? Also my usual temps were around 42º with a 30º system temp. Is it normal that it suddenly went up to 53º with 35º case temp just because it's a tad hotter inside the case?
I currently have 2 case fans, all sides of case have 2 big groups of air holes and thus I ponder on why such weak airflow! It is on a tabletop, with the back facing the wall about 2dm far and near the computer desk by 1.3dm or so. What should I do?? At the moment, my Volcano 7 has officially demonstrated plane noise is indeed simulatable inside a computer!
:eek: I find this very hard to believe, after all the denials from you and AMD_man and finally here it is thank god for copy, paste and quote! :smile:

two words: Global Warming!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I still hold the fact that the V7 is an excellent cooler. My temps never went over 40c today and the rotation speed went up to only 3800RPM (with an ambient room temp of 28c!) which is still reasonable.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
How in the world can I cool down the case flow? And do you think that a hot case can affect and produce high CPU temps?
Also would pointing my big room fan (about 30cm diameter) onto one side be harmful, such as any risk of some components flying off?

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, I do think case air flow has a hug impact on CPU temp. I have a couple low-speed Sunon case fans on my case.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well once you have got even a moderate case airflow any more wont really do much.

if u monitor your system and do the calculations then CPU temp, mobo temp and ambient are all related.
if the case airflow is constant (which it usually is) then

CPU temp = Ambient temp X factor1 + correction.

factor1 is usually around 1 to 1.5, and depends on how efficient your heatsink is, the better your HSF the lower.

the correction is how good your case ventilation is. excellent case ventilation gives values of less than 6C.

so as room temp rises so does your core temp, at a very predictable rate.

ive found with my tbird, thru trail and error, that it freezes above 52C, regardless of load, heatsink used or voltage.
but of course this is very specific to this CPU on this particular motherboard.

but now that i know this my system had no troubles running in extreme conditions. when the temp got above 50 i just turned up the rheostat, letting the fan run faster. (80mm 3600rpm pabst on a mcx-462)

and your cpu will freeze LOOOOONG before it will ever fry. (assuming u dont disengage your I.Q. and remove the heatsink)

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Intake temp most definately affects the case and CPU temps. The hotter the air coming in is, the less heat it can absorb before being spewed back out. With this current heat wave in Minnesota (who though 91F/~31C high could happen in the third week of April?!) my case temps spiked from their usual 24C to as high as 33C (no A/C in my dorm), which caused the CPU to go from it's normal 52C to 62C. The only way to remedy this is to decrease the room temp... cause I can't think of any way to cool the intake without using ice, which in this weather, would probably cause condensation, not to mention it would melt fast. You can try to increase the output of air from the case to suck "cooler" air in, but I don't know how well this will work. Best of luck. The heat is breaking tonight here, so my 32C case temps will thankfully drop again. Cheers all.

-SammyBoy

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I'm in Montreal and my temp gone up to cpu/mobo 43/30 from something like 38/20-something. It is damn hot.

You can put a desk fan on an open case and nothing will happen, except computer will run cooler. Just put it about 1-2 feet from the case, my temp went down once I did that last summer and nothing died.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>

eden

Champion
Thanks.
Here it jumped from 43 to 53, pretty drastic eh?
Although the case temp makes the difference, but again I am worried that opening it can open a door to many risks, such as objects flying in, dust accumulating... I could instead open it slightly, about 10 cm only, the heat will come out, and I will see what would happen. Damn screws are too hard to come off!!

--

eden

Champion
Ok I opened the case, and is about 5cm open however since the first 10cm are part of the drive bays, there is nothing that can really get thrown in that easily. My god was there wiring! No wonder the HSF is suffocating, I mean it's surrounded by the drive wire and cables everywhere! What else should I try?

--

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
Man it's getting hot in Montreal these last 2 days...

What i did is take the front fan(intake) and place it in the back as a 2nd exaust fan,toke one 5 1/4 bay slot out (the plastic cover) and place my fan to blow in the case,it colled my cpu down to 47c ,it was at 55c previously.

hope this helps...

The faster a computer is, the faster it will reach a crashed state :eek:

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
tell me about it... the stupid idiots here at carleton left the god damned heat on... how am i supposed to study for my physics final?

also... my room temp went to 34° my case (i run UD continuously) went to 44°, with cpu sitting at 54° , oddly enough when i take the panel off, i get higher system temp, but lower cpu temp??? i have two antec fans, (rbc special, eh eden?)

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
it is supposed to go back down this weekend, but if this is any indication, this will be a damn hot summer... stupid me, taking a physical labour job... stupid tech sector, won't hire any students.... at least i get 48 hours a week...

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
it is supposed to go back down this weekend
Ya :frown: just when my motorcycle will be ready(Friday night)...it as been in the shop all week long and when i'll finally get to ride it will be 10c outside...well that's life.

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i have been thinking about this, and since i have no air conditioning, i have thought of a plan to cool my computer,
I have an bar fridge (2 years) that i don't use... i was thinking about taking the cooling bits off, insulating my side panel, and mounting it to the panel... (in a removable sort of way) just so that i can keep my case temps below 40... (i will modify the thermostat) any ideas on this? idiotic?

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
I have an bar fridge (2 years) that i don't use... i was thinking about taking the cooling bits off
I know a guy that done it whit a fridg compressor,he ended up frying the CPU because of the condensation,the hoses where too cold for the room temp and it created water....

So my advise DO NOT DO THIS !!!

eden

Champion
So I'm not alone! I also noticed that by buying two Antec case fans, the price tab was 29$ tax inc. not 30+ tax extra!
So you too have this cursed heat! I hope it goes down, because it's one preview of my summertime with this comp! Basically, you DO NOT want to experience a Volcano 7 running at its maxmimum with a 40º case, it really is the jet engine at that point. Back one week, it was a silent morning dew!
I just can't help but imagine what about 2GHZ Willamettes with Retail HSFs!!!

--

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, on a very hot summer day of 40c, I can imagine even the Northwood reaching 60-70c.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh
all these folks gettin worried when the temp rises.

just keep running till it freezes!
when (or IF) it does, then consider changing your conditions.

(better HSF, more case airflow, less overclocking, aircon? etc)

This recent summer in australia was decently mild, so the room temp only got up to 30C on one occasion i can remember. but ive got 2 main options at my disposal.
1. rheostat with cpu fan and rear casefan attached
2. 2 overclock states i can switch between, 1400 @ 1.92v or 1333 @ 1.82v.

just wish i had a better case

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

keegs

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
A bunch of aussies hey? me too! :)

I have a prob - I got a new system about a week ago, AthlonXP 1900+ in it with a TT Volcano7 in it. With a room temp of around 25-30ºc, my CPU idles at 50-55ºC, with only 1-2 lite programs running.

I want to unlock this baby but I'm not going to do it if its at 55ºc before o/cing! Also, I have a chassis fan in the rear as well, and for some reason on my Epox 8KHA+ mboard can't read the RPM of one of the fans, im not sure which. The one it can read goes at 2700rpm, despite both of the fans actually running.

I've orderred some artic silver from some eastern states authorised dealers, (none it bloody perth!!), so that should arrive soon so I can change the paste.

Will *just* changing the paste make it run at a lower temp? or is there something suspiciously wrong with my PC?

Thanks for ya help :)

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok I opened the case, and is about 5cm open however since the first 10cm are part of the drive bays, there is nothing that can really get thrown in that easily. My god was there wiring! No wonder the HSF is suffocating, I mean it's surrounded by the drive wire and cables everywhere! What else should I try?
man! I must say, I thought you knew a little more about computer, boy was I wrong!

read my endless postings on tucking in and getting rounded cables.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"