DNS Replication in AD

bobbins2k

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
Does anybody have any real word experience of setting up replication for DNS between Child/Parent domains in 2k server

bobbins2k

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
Wonderfull,

I have set up two domains one a child of the other.

I delegated controll of the new dns name to the new server before running dcpromo. Dcpromo ran through no probs- reboot ok. AD installed DNS installed and all records seemed to be created.

Next i set up two sites and placed each server in there respective site, setup a intersite transport link using TCP and scheduled it to replicate every 15 mins.

Now the AD will replicate between the two domains ok, example made the child server a Global Gataloge from the parent and the setting replicated across.

The problem is that DNS records are not replicating btwn the domains. I have Allowed Zone transfers to all servers. ( Have aslo tried Allow only to servers in the name servers tab)

Can you help, i have been tearing my hair out, cannot find anything on technet.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
do both of them have a root dns zone? "." if you are forwarding any dns querys to a higher dns server, you should delete this zone. it certainly should not be on the child dns server.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

bobbins2k

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
There is only a root zone on the parent pc as this is a internal DNS structure and the parent pc is the top level domain.

I have read something on Technet about Glue A records, do you know how to create these.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
sorry i havent gotten back to you. i really cant think of why you are having this problem. are you by chance using restricted groups? its very difficult to diagnose that kind of problem without being in front of the server.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

TRENDING THREADS