ObiWan_Kenobi

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
not sure where i should post this....oh well

Ok here is the problem. My girl has this box and it is running on a Gigabyte 7vtxh
A 1.2 ghz athlon
256 meg ram
win xp pro

and heres the problem: she has a logitech 2x optical mouse. When you move the mouse it plugs the CPU at 40 to 80 %. this is a fresh install of XP, with no programs installed yet. only drivers. Now this issue dissapears when you plug the mouse into the PS2 port with the converter. WTF???!? This is tottally blowing my mind.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Putting the LAUGH back in SLAUGHTER.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I have a logitec optical mouse plugged into the USB port on a P3 866 with XP and the logitec drivers, and it uses up 8-10% of the CPU when I move it. Could be a bug in Logitec's drivers, a usb bug, or simply that USB devices tend to use more of the CPU.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know, I've seen some weird mouse problems in XP. Maybe MS will take care of them in SP1. More likely SP1 will cause MORE problems, LOL.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
faster bus --> faster response times --> tada tada tada...

shouldnt matter for regular windows usage though, only slightly noticable under heavy fps gaming...

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
A mouse works fine over PS2, its just pref!!

As for the problem, are the latest 4 in 1 drivers installed for the VIA chipset?

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Er, USB sux, another guy is pegging his when he uses a USB webcam. Even some cheap BX boards had USB problems, and even a cheap BX board is better at handling things then the best VIA board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Maybe that's not a good idea, since I'm obviously not very good at it.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft