Sign in with
Your question

WinHEC AMD *SECRETS* ????

Last response: in CPUs
April 17, 2002 4:10:30 PM

This quote is taken from the most recent article here at Tom's Hardware Guide. "WinHEC 11 - Microsoft's $200 Billion Mosh Pit"

Quote:
It all bodes well for AMD's continued confidence in Hammer, or is there something else afoot? There's something else afoot. For some people it's going to be the equivalent of the discovery of the monolith in 2001: A Space Odysee.

"There's something else afoot."

Ok... WTF does that mean??? Was someone smoking the funky weed or is AMD leaking juicy secret bombshells to Tom's Hardware Guide??

I'm voting for the funky weed theory... we already know Hammer is AMD's focus and it is supposed to rock hard when it arrives... so I don't see how anything could qualify as an "equivalent of the discovery of the monolith in 2001: A Space Odysee" when we already expect such a great product?

<font color=green><b>More salt than just a grain you will need with posts of mine. - Yoda</b></font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tiberius13 on 04/17/02 12:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : winhec amd secrets

April 17, 2002 5:02:05 PM

They plan on treating it with 11 secret herbs and spices and then deep fry it before offering it to the public. (KFCPU?) :wink:

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates
April 17, 2002 5:58:32 PM

Did you remember to get your side order of extra Stocks with that and BiggieSize it?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 17, 2002 7:23:44 PM

... it does make me want to save my money until hammer... i must know, now what they are talking about... (yes, i am whiney)

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare
April 18, 2002 8:49:02 AM

heres a quote from vans hardware which confirm AMD did made an NDA disclosure of some intresting stuff:
Quote:

AMD gave detailed Mobile Athlon XP briefings Monday at WinHEC. Behind closed doors and under NDA, the chipmaker also delivered some of the most interesting and exciting news of WinHEC. AMD will publicly announce details of these confidential disclosures in the coming weeks.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 04/18/02 11:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 18, 2002 9:23:17 AM

Well, if you noticed Jerry taking the stand for Microsoft in the antitrust, and movement over XBox2 I would guess Microsoft may announce official development plans for x86-64 Windows.... That would be significant featherage for AMD...

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
April 18, 2002 2:04:32 PM

Hmmm.... now I'm thinking it could be one of 2 things.

First, maybe the rumours about AMD getting into bed for XBox2 is true? The main issue with that was whether AMD could produce enough chips to meet the demand.... so maybe that would be coupled with an announcement of some means whereby AMD could boost production levels?

The other possibility would be Microsoft announcing support for Hammer. This one seems kinda fluffy on the surface, since Microsoft would build some support into their OS for Intel chips too. It is just a given that they work together to get the best out of their hardware and software.

However, "the big picture" is what is interesting. If Microsoft wants to keep putting out new software, and having people buy it... they need to offer significant changes/improvements. Moving to a 64 bit OS would bring out a whole new library of 64 bit software to go with it. If 64 bit provides a performance boost, and the 64 bit OS and software is the only way to get the newest OS and software releases.... then it keeps the cycle going for both hardware and software sales. That is good business for Microsoft.

<font color=green><b>More salt than just a grain you will need with posts of mine. - Yoda</b></font color=green>
Related resources
!