Billius69

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
My friend bought an HP a few years ago (against my recommendations), and now he wants to upgrade.

We're looking at getting a mobo, an Athlon cpu, DDR RAM, maybe a GF3Ti
and probably a new power supply.

What he wants to know is, the computer comes with it's own install disk. This contains not only a version of win98, but also programs for his DVD-ROM and CDR. He wants to know if, when we swap out the mobo, cpu, etc. if we can reinstall the programs/drivers for his DVD-ROM and CDR. Or if there will be problems.

FatBurger

Illustrious
It'll probably say "This isn't an HP, you can't install Windows", but I'm not sure.
Good luck.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
You might have problems installing especially if that hp win98 is a image restore disk.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
yes true.

OEM PCs often have OEM bioses to identify their computers , which helps them in such cases. What you can do though is restore the image now, then replace the components and hope 98 will recognize them neatly.

**i want a tbred** :(

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You're replacing most of the components anyway, so why not just start from scratch and build a completely new system?

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would do a fresh install from the recovery CD, copy the new chipset drivers to the hard drive, then remove all hardware from device manager in Safe Mode, then install the new parts. When it boots, cancel all parts detection and load the Chipset drivers that you already copied to the hard drive. Everything will be redetected, and the drivers for preexisting cards should be relocated automatically on the recovery disk as long as it was written properly.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?