wireless setup

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
January 1, 2005 8:35:34 AM

just a quick question for anyone who has an easy answer.
i got a "linksys" wireless adapter for christmas. i
plugged it into my laptop. win xp found the new hardware
and all that stuff. my question is this: is this wireless
adapter compatable with my dsl modem? its from qwest and
it says with wireless gateway, has a wireless led, and
its got an antenna. also was told by service tech who
installed dsl service that this particular modem was
802.11b wireless compatable. well i've tried for 3 days
to get things to work but i'm having no luck. keep
getting the message "wireless network connection not
connected no wireless networks detected". what am i doing
wrong? my laptop is a toshiba, 256ram, usb, pcmcia, ps/2,
cd/dvd, etc, etc. thid brings me to one last question: is
the a "wireless switch" somewhere on this machine? only
asking because wireless wizard says something about
checking my wireless switch is it on or off? my problem,
i have no idea what its talking about. does anyone have
any answers or suggestions? any help is greatly
appreciated. thank you very much and everyone have a
merry christmas and a happy new year. ronald j.

More about : wireless setup

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 1, 2005 9:55:34 AM

Ron, this newsgroup doesn't support networking in general, just Microsoft's
Broadband Networking hardware and software. You might check in Network
Connections to see if any of the icons listed there are in "bridge" mode.
They shouldn't be when in general use, and could be blocking your Local Area
Network access for the new device.

Otherwise, I would suggest looking to the Linksys web site for possible
tutorials or support. Additionally, if you're on Windows XP, you can use
Wireless Zero Configuration (look in Control Panel/Administrative
Tools/Services to make sure it is turned on) to setup up your device.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

!