Pentium 2.0 Help

G

Hi, im a first time poster to this website but i just had a quick question for all you guys. Im not nearly as knowlegable is all of you when it comes to computers so I just wanted to know, if i have a pentium 2.0A Ghz computer with 512 cache and 512mb of pc2700 DDR Ram what do i set my CPU clock too in the bios. Right now its set at 100. Please help. Thank You.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Is your motherboard on jumperfree?

If it is, just goto bios, and um....set your speed to 2 ghz. It's not that hard. Your bios might also have preselected speeds you can select.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Find out how to change the FSB on your motherboard, you should be safe staying under 112FSB with stock core voltage. go with fastest memory timing

I dont think you can hurt your processor no matter what you do in BIOS, I have tried very hard to screw mine up and have not been able too.

high airflow over the motherboard is best, keep it clear and cool.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

G

Only prob is that the only numbers i can choose are between 100-255 and yes the mobo is jumperless. Its a brand new SOYO P4S Dragon Mobo. I think that CPU clock is supposed to be set at something different just not sure what anyone else have any other suggestions?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The setting you see is the bus speed. It should be set at 100MHz. Intel calls this 400MHz, but it's actually 100MHz. Your CPU runs at a multiple of this setting. That multiplier is hardwired into the CPU and cannot be changed. Since the multiplier cannot be changed, it must be right. Therefor, everything is OK with your computer.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I think, if i can add my piece of the pie, that this is what the guys here mean:::

The setting on your motherboard that you see, that is currently 100, is the speed of your Front Side Bus (FSB). As was said, your processor itself will be set to run at a speed of 20 times the FSB, ie at the moment it runs at 2000 Mhz (which is 2 Gigahertz). What many people do, including myself, is to give yourself some 'free performance upgrade' by increasing the FSB, and thereby increasing the overall speed of the processor automatically.
You would be wise to do this a bit at a time though, increasing by say 5 or 10 Mhz FSB at a time, and then running some programs in windows to check that everything is ok.

The other thing that you need to do - as you increase your FSB, you may get instability just because the processor isnt getting enough voltage (i think they are normally set to 1.5V ?? I am NOT an electrical expert here though!).

As for me - i run my Pentium 4 1.6A (normally 100 FSB times 16 multiplier locked) at 135 Mhz FSB, giving me 2.15 Ghz and after telling my BIOS to increase voltage to 1.6V everything is wonderfully stable in my MSI 645 Ultra motherboard! Woo hoo!!

Have fun, but please dont blow up your shiny new equipment!

Don't believe in skepticism.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nursemsic on 04/18/02 03:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>