Please help me - Cheap Computer

_zaphod_

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2002
ok, this girl i know is moving away and i was going to get her a computer because she wont have one where she is moving and her dad will be taking their current computer. she has a monitor, keyboard and so on it the shed, so they dont need one of those. Her family is also poverty level so they dont have money just to buy on computer parts. I have a job though and make around $170 a week. Im only 16 so i dont have to pay for alot of extras and it would be easy for me to get.. but i need you to help me build the cheapest computer you can. She doesnt play games or anything, just chats online. The main problem that drives her crazy now is when poeple talk to her on AIM (around 12 at a time) if she opens to many windows it slows down, crashes and dies.. so i would like to have lots of RAM to help that. Not alot of extras are needed though.. maybe 900MHz Duron. Also it might be cool to have a CD-RW so she can make CD's
I dont care what it looks like, just please make it as cheap as possible

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
http://www.computergeeks.com/

Cheapest computers that I have been able to find.

You should go squeeze her dad and tell him not to be a cheap bastard and give his daughter the machine. As that machine is vital to her education and could possibly alienate her socially without it. You just wont stand for it!

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

_zaphod_

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2002
her dad is a complete ass and that is why she and her mom are moving away from him. He hates her and i doubt he would give it to her - just to make her mad

thanks for the site :) i can easily afford one of those.. lol, usually you get girls flowers or something, i get her a computer :eek:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Heh, I see you're used to vBulletin. You have to use this for the shocked face:
<pre> :eek: </pre><p>
CompGeeks is great, I've bought several things from them.

EDIT:
Apparently the pre tags don't show the code after all, I thought they would. Anyhow, check the FAQ for a list of all the differenct smilies.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 04/18/02 11:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
you wouldnt mind ordering stuff online right?
lemme see what i can come up with...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i just whipped this up really quick...so dont be too disappointed...btw...if anyone wants to add to this...please do.
all the prices are from <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">newegg</A>

maxtop case w/ 350W PSU (AMD approved) - $36
sony 52x cdrom oem- $25
enermax thermal controlled case fan - $6
panasonic floppy drive oem - $8
maxtor 20gb 5400rpm HD oem - $58
128mb pc133 ram kingston oem - $40
creative modem blaster oem - $20
SOLTEK SL-75KAV VIA KT133A retail - $66
AMD duron 1 ghz retail - $56
visiontek xtasy geforce2 gts-v oem - $46

total: $361.
total w/ shipping: $405
i didnt include the tax cuz newegg only adds sales tax if you live in california (like myself)
anyways...im not too sure about the motherboard and video card...you may want to change that...
the 1 ghz duron was the cheapest retail duron...
i didnt include any software so you'd have to work on that...
hope i helped

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
You guys like ComputerGeeks? Well...I guess they're all right so long as you realize that you're not going to get your money back from them anymore, as their new policy seems to forbid it. I have sunk a lot of money into purchases from them, and in the last 2+ weeks, I have been put through hell thanks to their junk products, lousy customer service, and inept abilities all around. I had to cheat just to get an RMA (called and asked for a particular position far to high to be handling RMA's, but I did get one that way after waiting over two weeks for their normal department to give me one).

Just check out the company on BBB.ORG before you buy...I have found that every company that has given me a headache has a poor record on their site (or none at all). You only need this if you work hard for your money, though...and from the sound of it, you work very hard for your money.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.

Tutlas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
newegg sells pci vid cards for like 10$, i would get one of those.

also try to use any crappy parts you have laying around.