Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Fanless PIII systems

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Fan
Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2002 9:09:48 PM

Just curious if there was anyone else here with a passively cooled PIII. In another forum it turned out there were quite a few people that were running them, so I pulled the fan leads off my pair, and they've been running 100% load 24/7 ever since with no problems.

I've got a pair of cB0 PIII-800E 1.65v chips at 900 each. Both have the stock intel heatsinks and fans. That's 1.8GHz of passively cooled overclocked 0.18 micron technology with only one case fan at 7 volts (and the slow enermax power supply fan) drawing air. Not too shabby if I may say so.

It reduces the noise considerably.

Also in my case are three HDDs, DVD, CD-RW, and all the other junk - and no I didn't drill any extra holes or leave the sides off.

- JW

More about : fanless piii systems

April 18, 2002 9:37:35 PM

"Don't try this with AMD Processor"

I just couldn't resist...

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>
April 18, 2002 10:01:36 PM

1.8GHz? Didn't you just say 800MHz? That's 0.8GHz.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
April 18, 2002 11:11:33 PM

I'd just like to point out that mhz isn't additive on a pc.. two 900mhz chips isn't 1800mhz.. it's 2 900mhz chips.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
April 18, 2002 11:34:04 PM

Picky picky! He didnt word it in a way that meant he was an idiot!

In any case I have some P3s with heat sink only, but none ever had a fan either. I have a dual 500 PIII setup with server grade heatsinks, not too impressive as they are pretty cool to begin with. The fanless jewel of my computer room is the PIII 933 (133fsb) also using a server grade heatsink with no fan. Its a bitchin machine! The heat sink gets hot as hell, but the CPU stays cool =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
April 18, 2002 11:36:49 PM

Yep but if you can allocate the tasks properly, it's 900MHz for your main task, and 900MHz for the rest of the stuff.

AMD MAN: 800E @900MHz.

There's a thread in the cooling section. btvillarin's "Tired of the noise" I think. There's a link to a dual PIII 1.26GHz tully system running at 1.5GHz each. No fans, just heatsinks! 107F (42C) at full load!!!

This is the one reason I keep to Intel. Noise and temp reduction. No flames please.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
April 18, 2002 11:48:57 PM

Yeah, but ill tell ya what, with all the 10k drives in there I could have a huge 80mm fan on the chip and I would not notice. I like them not only for style points but there is no chance the heatsink will fail as with a fan. I know I have one of those superhot Tbird 1400s and I cant hear its fan over the drives and thier fans, but then again that case has 13 fans in it so.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
April 19, 2002 12:06:48 AM

Intel's stock heatsinks and fans is pretty quiet. So I never try to unplug the fan to make the system quieter.
April 19, 2002 12:27:25 AM

Quote:

No flames please.

No one is going to flame you because you don't flame us.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 19, 2002 3:09:52 AM

Heh! Fair enough. Just in case.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
April 19, 2002 4:31:02 AM

I am well aware that two chips at 900 isn't the same as one at 1800, in terms of both speed at heat dissipation. I was just impressed that my case wasn't even getting warmer.

The stock intel fans aren't that noisy alone, but somehow the two I have run at slightly different speeds and can be heard above my drives.

Much talk has been made about the fact that the Tualatin cores run very cool, but I didn't realize that the coppermine cores were so good either. I believe both my processors are making about 25W each. The PIII-800 Tualatin cores (yes they make them - for blade servers) make about 11W each.

- JW