PC Gains, Mac Falls in January 2009 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I feel specifically left out here... I've built perhaps 100 "PCs" and since I buy them piece-by-piece I'm pretty sure nobody is able to count my purchases. Let's get onto fixing that. :)

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
good point a mac is a pc, it's just comes with another os installed.

i think pc sales are up because of the lower price. in this economic crisis mac prices have not come down, have not been discounted, it's basically the same old list price maybe a small discount or they introduce new model with higher price, but dont continue to offer older model at lower price. also, i would think people who don't want to run windows would just run some flavor os linux on their windows pc.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I don't think the "Mac IS a PC" argument flies anymore, considering Apple themselves made the distinction in THEIR OWN COMMERCIALS.

Boo yah.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]TwoDigital[/nom]I feel specifically left out here... I've built perhaps 100 "PCs" and since I buy them piece-by-piece I'm pretty sure nobody is able to count my purchases. Let's get onto fixing that.[/citation]
OK, we will go ahead and use that number as a baseline to compare the number of Macs that were underreported due to being built ala carte by enthusiasts... Let's see is that 100/0 or 0/100?

Seriously, we do know how many computers are built and for what purpose (give or take a few percent). Apple buys chips from Intel, and we know how many. The number of Intel chips left over is how many went into windows or Linux systems. AMD sells chips only for windows/Linux systems. Microsoft sells a license for every PC legitimately built for windows. With these numbers, you know how many Macs there are, how many Windows PCs there are, and how many pirated windows/Linux pcs there are. Your computers certainly fall into one of these categories, unless you are building them with VIA processors in which case no one really cares. Don't worry, you aren't as special as you think.

Is it just me, or is Tom's Hardware slowing down on news? Other tech sites have had this news up for days. Hell, the front page of Tom's wasn't even updated for a day.

I'm not complaining, just wondering what has happened with the editorial team.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Gryphyn[/nom]I don't think the "Mac IS a PC" argument flies anymore, considering Apple themselves made the distinction in THEIR OWN COMMERCIALS. Boo yah.[/citation]

? mac is not a pc, a pc = personal computer, isn't mac a personal computer, how is the hardware different from anyother laptop, the only difference is the os, the hardware is fairly generic.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
If MAC cuts down the prices on their pc's they might make a fight. But as long as the cheapest macbook is at $1000 it wont sell more than more powerfull dell and hp notebooks at the same price.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Toms hasn't been the same since Best of Media took over, They are completely ruining Toms Games, and Toms hardware is starting to slip too, I miss being able to watch the Spotlight, and Second Take. That, and I don't really care for this new format of the page either. Best of Media hasn't done anything good to these sites, its all been bad.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Yes, but the assumption here is that the numbers in the article are from PC unit sales (i.e. pre-built systems).[/citation]
PC's are "personal computers"not "pre-built systems" and macs are "personal computers".

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]HVDynamo[/nom]Toms hasn't been the same since Best of Media took over, They are completely ruining Toms Games, and Toms hardware is starting to slip too, I miss being able to watch the Spotlight, and Second Take. That, and I don't really care for this new format of the page either. Best of Media hasn't done anything good to these sites, its all been bad.[/citation]

i agree, i've been visiting this site since the beginning, i mean year one, and i've noticed a difference.

i come here for the hard core hardware benchmarks, articles, reviews, ect.

i don't much care for all the toms' sections, games, media, ect. it'll end up like ign, which now even does comic books. :-(

what tom hardware has do is spin off , fire a lot of people and go back to being a hard core hardware site.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]If MAC cuts down the prices on their pc's they might make a fight. But as long as the cheapest macbook is at $1000 it wont sell more than more powerfull dell and hp notebooks at the same price.[/citation]

They've been outselling Dell on the laptop front for 2 years now. I don't think that talks to the hardware, you are paying more for similar hardware from Apple, it talks to the software. Consumers are either frustrated or tired of Vista and want a change. OSX is a much better OS than Vista is, not to mention the bundled software with it is actually useful.

plbyrd

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
The netbook idea doesn't hold water, not a 13% increase. When I go to retailers I have no problem finding in-stock netbooks at the $250 to $400 price points, but the $699 laptops are usually sold out. And there's a LOT more $699 laptop models available.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Gryphyn[/nom]I don't think the "Mac IS a PC" argument flies anymore, considering Apple themselves made the distinction in THEIR OWN COMMERCIALS. Boo yah.[/citation]

I know the truth hurts, so here it is agagin:

mac is a pc

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]I think part of the reason is Windows 7 is having amazing reviews, This could give Windows buyers hope, but im only saying that can be part of it.[/citation]

the reason that windows 7 is getting amazing reviews is that microsoft is paying off the reviewers... isn't that always the case...

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
The truth hurts? Don't take yourself so seriously.

I wasn't arguing the definition of a PC, because anyone with half a brain knows what PC stands for, and knows what falls into the category. However, when Apple computer's own commercials make the distinction by saying "Hello, I'm a Mac...and I'm a PC," all the folks who've been repeating the same "mac is a PC too" line for the last 15 years just got shut down by their own team.

Bummer. Guess you didn't think hard enough before posting your "rebuttal."

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Gryphyn[/nom] Guess you didn't think hard enough before posting your "rebuttal."[/citation]

You're a little thickheaded. I'll help you out:

[citation][nom]bogdan0-[/nom]mac is a pc[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.