Benchmark

G

Which program is best for CPU benchmarking?

I've used Sisoft Sandra and PCmark, but I don't really believe the results I'm getting.

I'm running a 1400MHz Duron, and in both programs it performs equal to an Athlon XP 1600+ and far above the Pentium4 2GHz. This has to be an error, since the Duron has less cache and FSB. Thats why I need a good benchmarking program, you can trust... Any suggestions?

My system:

o/c 1400MHz Duron
ECS K7S6A Mobo
256MB PC2100 DDR
Radeon 8500
300W PSU
Windows ME (4.90.3000)

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
did u unlock your duron? or did u clock it using the fsb?
also the duron shares the same fpu and alu as the athlons so the cpu bench will show about the same score as this seems to be wat it is testing. im sure u are aware that the 1600+ is 1.4ghz ie same as your duron

Earth is full. Go home.

G

It's clocked at 110 FSB, so it's running at 13x110 ( 1430MHz ).

I know the Athlon XP 1600+ is 1,4GHz, but it has more cache, and should be faster. I do not believe the Duron running at 1430MHz is faster than a 2GHz Pentium 4, and just as fast as an Athlon XP at 1,4GHz, that can't be right!

The CPU benchmarking is not right, maybe it just tests a little amount of cache or something, giving a wrong result. I need a better one, any suggestions?

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i am pretty sure sandra doesn't care about the cache, just the speed of the FPU and ALU which are the same as those in the XP... (pretty much)

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare

G

What´s the point, if a CPU benchmark doesn´t test the L1 and L2 cache???

It can´t be right that a duron gets the same result as an Athlon XP at same speed. I also find it hard to believe that a duron at 1,4GHz can get a higher score than a 2GHz Pentium 4. How can this be???

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
well, as tom's always says, sandra should be taken with a grain of salt...
also, it is not surprising that the duron beats the P4 2Ghz, this happens a lot, but in overall performance, p4 would most likely be the winner, you can never just look at one benchmark

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare

G

As I said, I've clocked it at 110 FSB, so it´s 13x110, no big deal.

Is there a better CPU benchmark than Sandra or PCMark? A program that also calculate the cache and FSB?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Sandra CPU benchmark tests Integer and floating point operations. The cache doesn't get saturated so the results should be similar to an indentically clocked XP.

I don't know what PCMark tests.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

TRENDING THREADS