which modem is better??

G

I want to buy a new internal modem, a friend of mine suggest me two brands... compaq internal modem 56k and netcomm internal modem 56k....any one which one is better??

thanx for the help

Steve

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Clicked on your post thiking of reading the replies since i have similar ?. u had no replies :) I will make a similar post, let's get answers here, right?

Are we really ready for "contact" ?

Do you need a PCI modem or an ISA modem? Whichever you decide upon, get a hardware-based modem. Brands really don't make a lot of difference. As long as you stick with a hardware-based modem, you'll be happier in the long run than you would with a winmodem.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Uhm ISA is a thing of the past unless you have an old pc. All modems being made today are PCI unless there's someone out there still hanging on to some ISA ones.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Have a look at <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=41" target="_new">this</A>.

Basicly all external and isa modems are hw modem. Most pci modems are software based (winmodem), but some are hw. Winmodems only work on window base machines, so probably no other os.

<i>DMA - Doesn't Mean Anything :wink: </i>

zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
It's pretty funny.. US Robotics calls their hardware pci modems "High Performance" modems now. Also, they still make isa modems, but they are more expensive than the pci hardware modems.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Perhaps because the mass production fabs are into the pci type and the isa are limited production components. Just a thought there, maybe that's just BS.

Are we really ready for "contact" ?

ISA modems are still very common and quite useful; especially in Linux boxes. As to the issue of it being old, that is true, but is not a thing of the past. I've seen some Athlon boards out there with an ISA slot. Presumably, they put it there just for that purpose.

PCI hardware is the best way to go with a new computer though. We'll start seeing a lot less mobo manufacturers making boards with ISA slots. Plus I think most hardware PCI modems support Linux as well.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>