Sign in with
Your question

Small Business Help

Last response: in Business Computing
June 4, 2012 10:21:15 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums but would like some help.

I'm trying to help my uncle out with a business venture, he's opening up a auto repair shop and would like a main PC with software for payroll, invoices, item look up etc. but would also like 2 other laptops to be able to use/share the software on the main PC.

My first idea was a small business server but I'm just wondering if there are any other possibilities out there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : small business

June 4, 2012 10:25:09 PM

Hi :) 

Servers cost SERIOUS money, which you dont need anyway..

One decent Windows 7 PC and two Windows 7 laptops, use HOMEGROUPS and done..

All the best Brett :) 
June 4, 2012 10:34:38 PM

So just as long as the other PCs have the software installed you can share the files/docs with HOMEGROUP to the other 2 laptops?
Related resources
June 5, 2012 12:46:56 AM

A lot of this depends on the software you are going to use. I'd suggest looking into Quickbooks with multiple users, or the online-hosted Quickbooks, so you can install and run the Quickbooks program from all three computers, but the actual company file will be located on the desktop PC.
June 7, 2012 12:13:08 AM

Quickbooks is my suggestion
June 11, 2013 4:26:34 AM

I'd recommend QuickBooks in a hosting environment.
Plus this will be an economical option with the freedom of Pay-As-You-Go. Also you can upgrade your requirements as they arrive.
June 11, 2013 4:40:20 PM

Cassius88 said:
So just as long as the other PCs have the software installed you can share the files/docs with HOMEGROUP to the other 2 laptops?

Hello there,

If you setup a standalone machine and connect it to two other systems, most notably laptops via a Homegroup, you'll be able to share resources as required.
July 12, 2013 9:35:29 AM

Auto Shops are very advanced these days there are several software pkg's (Mostly cloud based) for automotive repair- vehicle codes etc., # 1 get a good broadband connection, Quickbooks online best bet because it does your taxes and payroll without too much thinking.

You may want to look into app based chrome books (Easy to use) and they do document, calendar collaboration, Get your credit card processing through Square Reader, very simple and straight forward flat rate service with an android or ipad comes with the reader and you use your screen as a signature pad... Go with VoIP on your awesome broadband connection and this will save you some money, Most auto parts/Tire manufacturers will provide you with signage and inventory on an as you sell basis. Interstate BAtteries, Cooper Tires etc, Oreilly auto parts etc.

I would really think out what you are going to use for sure before you start buying
!