Sign in with
Your question

I woud like to know about Cores and Threads

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
August 18, 2011 4:16:02 PM

Hello

I have a computer wich has 2 cores and 4 threads (http://ark.intel.com/products/50178 – my processor). In task manager I see 4 cores. So I would like to know what I see, cores or threads.

Also I would like to ask: do threads number includes and core number?

Thank you

More about : woud cores threads

a b D Laptop
August 18, 2011 4:29:09 PM

Hi,

Intel Hyper Threading technology allows 1 processing core to run 2 threads simultaneously alternating between the two. This is why you get 2x number of threads per core number on processors.

Typically, windows task manager shows the number of threads. So, in your case you're seeing 4, in my case, since I got a quad core processor and thus it can run 8 threads at the same time, task manager shows 8 bars for me.

As a comparrison, AMD processors will have 1x thread per core, so you will see 4 threads on 4 core CPU.
August 18, 2011 7:31:28 PM

Thank's a lot AntiZig. This information really helped me.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 18, 2011 10:55:47 PM

No sweat, mate, you're welcome.
August 19, 2011 12:38:38 AM

AntiZig said:
Hi,

Intel Hyper Threading technology allows 1 processing core to run 2 threads simultaneously alternating between the two. This is why you get 2x number of threads per core number on processors.

Typically, windows task manager shows the number of threads. So, in your case you're seeing 4, in my case, since I got a quad core processor and thus it can run 8 threads at the same time, task manager shows 8 bars for me.

As a comparrison, AMD processors will have 1x thread per core, so you will see 4 threads on 4 core CPU.

Where exactly are the bars you mention on task manager? I have a quad core but only see four ...that is if we are looking at the same thing.
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2011 1:46:36 AM

Your quad core may not support HT. HT was revived only after the release of the core i series, so core 2 series quad core don't have HT and you get 4 thread in 4 core.
!