Can you overclock using the BIOS?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I'm running a celeron 900mhz and I wouldn't mind getting it up a wee bit. I'm running jumper free mode but my BIOS can change FSB settings I'm pretty sure.

Can I simply change the FSB from there to OC? And will ANY change in FSB mess up my other cards, or only big ones?

Thanks!

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, you can prolly up the fsb a little....
but it might require more voltage.
little increases might be fine...big increases needs a PCI divider setting so that the pci cards dont crap the bed.
it should work.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
just watch the temp.
sorry i didnt post earlier...but i was trying to get xp on this cheasey laptop...and it is crapping the bed.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Didn't know you could use anything else...=\

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did anyone tell you that the Coppermine Celeron was garbage? OK, if your board supports small frequency changes, you might be able to get it up to 110MHz or a little more. Even OEM boards with the i810 or newer chipset can be clocked at 133MHz FSB, but your processor cannot handle it. A Celeron at 1000MHz is about the same performance as a PIII 750. If you could get your CPU to 133MHz FSB, your cards would be unaffected, but that would be 1200MHz and is not likely to happen.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Set it to 133 FSB (1200 mhz), didn't even boot up.

Set it at 123 FSB (1107 mhz), worked fined. Played Max Payne at 800x600 at 50 fps! When I exited Max Payne, the system would crash (not DURING it).

Now when I click on bridge commander, It also crashes+reboots (win XP). This is before any 3d rendering, it crashes as it does opening credits (blue screen then reboot)

Set it back to 900 mhz normal, and it still crashes when I exit MP or start Bridge commander. One important thing, I also downloaded an MS Utility which gets rid of background DLL's that XP uses. Could that be the reason for crashes? Even crashes at 600 MHZ underclocked (lol).

I tried "reinstalling" the DLL's, but it still crashes. Did i mess up the CPU? Why would the CPU only crash these two games (they used to work fine), but not any others I have? No crashes during windows apps, either. Grr.

My CPU temp is 38 from BIOS, 29 from Asus Probe (lol).

I dunno, I might reinstall XP to see if I can get those games working.....grr. Anyone got any ideas/help?

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>