Does OC'ing 2.4 to 2.53 seem unreasonable?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
No special HSF or anything. Just big chieftec full tower with 2 intake and 2 outtake fans. I will be using the retail Intel HSF.

I plan on buying a Northwood B in late summer at 2.4 they should be less than $500 then. The 2.53 will debut at $650.

I'm NOT interested in buying a 1.6A or 1.8A and OC'ing it to 2.4 or whatever.

Anyways, the setting for the 2.4B is (133 FSB x 18).
In order to reach 2.53, the FSB would have to reach 141x18.

Think can this be done without increasing voltage, or without screwing up my AGP/PCI cards? It's only 8 mhz.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well according to a few sites that used a 2.4 NW B vs 2.53 NW B, framerates for a few games shot up between 10-20. That's good enough for me. Besides, I can laff at people who bought the 2.53 =)

But those hardcore 1.8A guys could laff at me. Oh well. Anyone else? ;)

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i think you could safely go for more than that... just stop when you lose stability... or you get worried about yout temps

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare

FatBurger

Illustrious
But those hardcore 1.8A guys could laff at me.

In that case, I assume myself, Fugger, Raystonn and aarona have your permission to <i>really</i> laugh at you? (Since we all have OCed 1.6As) :tongue:

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, its a lot of money spent for a safe oveclock. I cannot argue with that. even if you do not overclock your machine will still rock.

I will not knock your decision as I will prob pick one up myself to play with.

But in the end, our lil 1.6's will still blow the doors off it for overclocking.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
But in the end, our lil 1.6's will still blow the doors off it for overclocking.

No doubt about it. But since I have a good amount of cash to burn (not to mention this computer MUST last at least 4-5 years).

That's why I'm waiting for PC1066 RDRAM and the 533 FSB. I don't feel like paying an extra 200 bucks for only 133 more however. That's why I'd increase the FSB to 141 from 133.

Anyone think this increase will destabilize my system? Overclocking my pentium 900 to 1200 didn't work to well, and I had to bring it back down because it couldn't run anything 3d without crashing, though it did normal 2d applications fine.

Thanks.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Should be fine, that seems like a very safe overclock to me.

I doubt you will have to raise your vcore for that.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Does anyone know how much the PCI/AGP slots can be raised until they cause trouble?

Also, do you think going from 133 to 145 (not 141) would require a Vcore raise? 2600 seems kinda even to me ;) though this may be too much.

My case has excellent ventilation and airflow (4 enermax 3000 RPM case fans, enermax 465 psu, and big chieftec tower, but I plan only on using the intel stock HSF.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Word. The faster the bus speed the better the performance. You would be well advised to get all the bus speed as possible. This applies to the memory bus as well, RDRAM overclocks right now to PC1066, and PC1066 will hit the streets soon. At that rate DDR400 is left in the dust, can't be overclocked very well. since you're building later, you should be on the lookout for DUAL CHANNEL DDR solutions which should hit the market at about the same time as the NW-"B". Dual Channel will make up for DDR's lack of bandwidth and still has the low latency advantage over RDRAM. You could run at 166MHz FSB with two DDR333 modules at a 1:1 ratio, and with Dual Channel have a bandwidth match to your P4. I don't think the 2.4 will overclock that far. The 1.6 will run 2480 at 155 and run circles around the 2533 do to it's faster bus, as long as it still has a 1:1 BANDWIDTH ratio, which would require Dual Channel. Bye.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
133 -> 141 should have no problems with your PCI/AGP. its a very minimal overclock, unless you have an exceptionally tempramental NIC card.

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Yes...that is my prob...my silly ol' NIC...anybody wanna tell me what nic's go good in those ungodly overclockers? I'll be tryin' a Belkin, as the D-Link nogo. I like the overclock...but without my network connection, I consider my pc a dead pos.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I plan on using an onboard NIC OR a 3com3COM 905CX-TXNM.
Anything about those?

Oh, how about 133 to 145? What do you think is a good "stop" point, where the system would be absolutely stable using stock HSF. 141 seems reasonable, but I've been aching for 145 =)

thanks!

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Oh, how about 133 to 145?
133 to 145? That’s 9% overclocking..... still think wont be noticeable. We are talking about P4 2.4 GHz!! Do you think that there are a lot of software applications able to use all that power and make it easily noticeable, I mean “eye noticeable”?
I’m not attacking you, but just think that a reasonable OC is the one you can really see day by day and not only when you benchmark. (and that is P1.6 to 2.2)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
how long is a piece of string?

all depends on what is stable. certain components go better than others. some AGP cards are reputed to be able to run all the way up to 100Mhz! where as some NIC's seem to have problems with anything.

basically whatever you can get away with and still have a stable system. if it keeps BSOD-ing, locking up or corrupting data then you have gone too far.

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
NP lol. I'm an OC'ing newbie, and seeing how I couldn't even overclock my 900 celeron by 5% without it crashing 3d games, I'm kinda weary about it.

Does a motherboard NIC also get affected like a PCI NIC?

About those guys who go from 1.6 to 2.2, do they use special things to keep their PCI/AGP speeds down, or do they set it to a frequency that is also a PCI/AGP divider?

Normally I wouldn't make a big stink about 9% Oc'ing, but I couldnt' even do my Celeron 900 at 953 without it crashing a game! Back to 900 and all games work fine..... =P

Thx

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Does a motherboard NIC also get affected like a PCI NIC?
You never know, think it can be affected as any other component so you just need try…. Overclocking.

About those guys who go from 1.6 to 2.2, do they use special things to keep their PCI/AGP speeds down, or do they set it to a frequency that is also a PCI/AGP divider?
Normally they go from FSB 100 to FSB 133 so the motherboard “activates” the dividers by it self and PCI devices keep in normal speeds (33 MHz). Anyway you could ask Fatburger about that or simply read the motherboard specs…. Also would be good if you read Fatburger’s post about overclocking P1.6.

Normally I wouldn't make a big stink about 9% Oc'ing, but I couldnt' even do my Celeron 900 at 953 without it crashing a game! Back to 900 and all games work fine..... =P
Why you don’t make a post with all the system specs and temperatures to discuss about your problem?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Because it's not my computer, I just use it like once or twice a weak to play starcraft. I was just curious about OC'ing. Building it was fun though. Who woulda thought that a socket 370 HSF would be such a b*tch to get on the socket?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the trick with overclocking is do it a bit at a time. go up in small increments, testing for stability along the way, removing components one at a time to determine whats holding you up etc.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Okay here's a tougher one.

Does 2700 MHZ seem possibly using the stock HSF? That's 150x18. I figure that will keep my AGP/PCI cards okay. This is a pretty expensive computer I'm building but I'm paranoid and don't have time/extra cash to buy a 2.53 or higher.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no idea on that one... think it will really depend on the CPU quality.

anyone have any info on the overclockability of the 2.4 generally?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I have no clue, but I'm interested in overclocking a 2.4 Northwood B, not a Northwood A.

I think Raystonn saying it hard to overclock a 2.4 to more than 2.6, but I forget why, and I don't think he was talking about the 533 FSB.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The 3Coms are by far the best cards. Lower CPU usage, better and more reliable transfer rates, and great drivers.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates