Black Screen when turn on computer all i can see is my mouse arrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

t4akawolf

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2013
1. Try pressing "Ctrl+Alt+Del".

2. In Task Manager, in the "Processes" tab, find "explorer.exe", RightClick, "End Process Tree".

3. From "File", at the top left, "New Task (Run...)".

4. Type "explorer.exe" and press Enter.

5. If you can see things again, good. Move onto Step 8.

6. If not, restart the computer, and keep pressing "F8" (it's a key at the top of your keyboard).

7. When you get into the Boot Menu, choose "Safe Mode".

8. From "Add or Remove Programs", find and Uninstall "MagicISO" if it's installed. This should solve your problem.

- Nick

P.S.: Try using Daemon Tools Lite instead of MagicISO.

hinkelmann

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I don'y understand the suggestive instruction above, I have a black screen, only visible is the arrow of the mouse, so like a blind man you want me to click on the screen not knowing where it is? Great instruction but this is good when the screen is visible. Is there another instruction on how to make the screen visible?
I have a macbookpro running windows 7, today I turn on and no screen, I pulled the hard drive out and plugged as external to my other computer and it seems to be all there, the boot txt shows it loads half way and rest of drivers will not load, will not let me fix from windows, install windows will be no good, there has to be a simple solution,

hinkelmann

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for quick reply, the command and P works and able to switch to external monitor and same result, black.
if I install windows again it will give me visual but will not repair and install new it will but will not let me remove the system partition

hinkelmann

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the update, I was up till 3 AM with no luck, even bought a software that noted it would fix black screen, also with no luck. Now all morning re-installing from scratch, all good so far but a real pain and time.
Thanks, will never know why it would not fix it,

t4akawolf

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2013

I understand you may be frustrated. But there is no real necessity be be snide when someone is trying to help you. If you don't like someone's advice, or if it didn't work for you, "It didn't work" is more than adequate to convey your view on the matter.

Also, for your information, I've faced a similar problem before. Only a white cursor on a black screen. The method I outlined worked for me. When I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del, I saw the Welcome Screen, from which I accessed the Task Manager, with which I fixed the problem.
That this method didn't work for you is unfortunate. It doesn't mean, however, it's a sarcastic-Great method for EVERYone.

I hope you find a better solution, or, at least, a more satisfying outcome from your endeavors.

- Nicholas Abhishek Richards

It's actually control, Shift and Escape to bring up the Task Manager then under the Processes tab, go to File menu then New Task and type explorer.exe and hit Enter.

That said, in these circumstances, the OP has probably either fixed it by now or died in the attempt.

lisa3148

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I am having the same problem as the post, and i saw your instructions, I tryed it, but in the task manager I do not see, explore .exe. so i typed it in under the new task an it came up with " windows can not find explore.exe. what eles can i do? please help, I take pictures for our church and i recently placed them on this computer and I can NOT loose them.

judimarie

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
Lisa3148, did u get any resolution? My laptop is doing the same thing, afraid it could be a virus given that we are both expeirencing same thing same time... please share your cure if you have been able to fix it :(

Fo46

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

I'm having the same exact issue. It won't will let me sign into the my log in, but the desktop is black. I only see cursor. Explorer.exe doesn't work when I try the above solution. My problem is only a few minutes old. I have an asus and my computer runs on Windows 8.

Fo46: Control, Alt and Delete can turn the machine off. For the Task Manager, you need Control Shift and Escape.

judimarie: What's going wrong with starting Explorer? If you have the Task Manager showing, it's quite straightforward. You simply click on File then New Task (Run) and type explorer.exe in then hit the Enter key.

Letux

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Hi Guys,

you may try this
Power Drain - if computer has a removable battery take it out and remove the charger.
while power devices are out . hold the power button for 10-15 secs [Just to drain the remaining power inside]
if it has an embedded battery just remove the charger then hold down the "power reset button"
underneath the laptop-may use a pin to hold it down [5-6secs]

Plug the adapter in [do not put back the battery] turn on machine "just after pressing the power button" immediately keep taping F2 to enter BIOS.
once in BIOS press F9 to load defaults [it will not erase anything] press Enter to confirm
then press F10 to save and exit and press Enter again to confirm
Once completed . machine will reboots then will go back to the same page
Black screen with movable cursor [Need to wait for like 2-3 minutes] maximum wait time of 4 minutes DO NOT TURN OFF
---------------------
Works for both 7-8 OS and some 8.1 units

Hope it Helps :)

ashwath aravindan

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

aqs

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
if task manager does'nt appear, frm ctr+shift+esc might be it has been disabled from user computer..so u can download http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/103275-task-manager-enable-disable.html file by applying Method 2 and save it on desktop and right click on it and click merge...it will be added .After that when u press Alt+ctrl+del then task manager will be appear, then click on file and click new task and type "explorer.exe", then ok.
Nw u can see ur display screen or pc screen..i've experiecd right now..what i've told u..thank u.

Coolbreeze626

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

I have the same problem and small laptop I took off the battery put it back in and after 2 days since I left to do something today when I turned it on it was working fine =)

Nicole Ballenger

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

I created an account just to thank you for saying this - you really made me laugh and I give you major props for calling out their obviously dumb suggestion xD

Status
Not open for further replies.