Im going to buy a voodoo Falcon NW ULTRA !#!#$!@#$

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
*start rant*

Screw that i'll build custom and save the $2000 of my hard earned $$$.

If you want to talk about your Pc's that you paid for $5,000 and no one cares about post somewhere else. Cuz at THG its your learning about hardware to build a custom pc, building a custom pc, or you have a custom pc and you are a 1337 h4x0r. There is no room for ppl pushing systems that i can build for 1/2 the price and probally would run faster.

*end rant*

I invented ctrl-alt-del but Bill [Gates] made it famous - Dave Bradley IBM PC designer

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
probably would run faster? if you spent exactly half the money, you would probably end up with a computer twice as fast!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
ah ha! i figured out how these companies get their base prices:
$1.00(USD)=1mhz
2ghz cpu=$2,000
pc800 rdram=$800
agp slot=$66
pci=$33
total=$2,899
then charge whatever for additional components seeing as they already raped you. i think it works out rather nicely :p

[insert philosophical statement here]

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
yup, Well they both have prices that match Apple's Mac's. Well think ppl he pushing them is wrong. Cuz ppl want to learn and build not buy.

I invented ctrl-alt-del but Bill [Gates] made it famous - Dave Bradley IBM PC designer

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH
(tears stream from eyes)
SO TRUE!
and yeah, paying that much, you are paying as much as it costs to get a mac....except the pc has more game compatibility...but i always say that macs are WAYY overpriced...so...LOL...goes to show...LAME! :smile:

-DAvid

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I've just witnessed the lamest rant ever.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
uh huh..uh huh..and uhhh huh..i've recieved a lot of information about computers/components through this forumn and i must say that a personal built PC is not only better then one of em prebuilt pOS's but the satisfaction that comes along w/ the fact u done did something ureself!

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
hey hey. don't knock macs. I mean, when you buy a mac, you get... style... and... style... and... no software suppo- I mean style!

what's funny is that I actually like apple a lot, and the people I know who own one shouldn't own anything else, but they're graphic designers. Honestly, they're beautiful computers, and apple makes my favorite monitors ever. But christ, that much money for a machine with no games, horrible 3d implementation and practically no software that isn't 2d graphics and video editing? no, thank you.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yea, but Macs are $$$$. Nothing wrong with a good comp and no apps. But there Ripoffs those companys. I personally think in the future custom built comps maybe in 1 out of 10 houses :p Cuz its not hard but ppl are lazy 1/2 the time. Well money mike is really Ripoff Mike probally paid from Voodoo with the way he talks about them.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
macs are great...but what is the diff in computing power between a mac and a pc when it comes to graphic design and video editing?
i mean, my dad is a graphic designer, and he USED to use macs, but now he uses pc.
i think sometimes it is pretty lame. the debate about macs and pc. if anyone has any conclusive evidence leaning either way (talking 2d performance here, not 3d, because pcs whoop the mac there). i would like to know, because then i would be able to tell people either way...and i dont like to give people wrong info! :smile:

-DAvid

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I don't know about conclusive benchmarking or anything, but one thing I know is that Adobe is forever the stable boy to apple's stallion. What I mean is that Adobe, when they make a product, from day 1 of production they think about how to take advantage of apple architecture, and they plan their software features in terms of apple users. Further, they release EVERYTHING for the mac first. These are serious considerations for some graphic designers, but I know I personally don't really mind waiting for pc releases of photoshop.
The other big bonus that apple has they had to devise for themselves. Final Cut Pro. That software is outstanding, hands down, no argument. There are people (especially in broadcasting, rather than film) who prefer Final Cut on a good dualie G4 system over any AVID system. Right now, those are the only arguments that mean anything to me in favor of the mac.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, i know first hand how great final cut pro is...we used it to make our first mountain bike video...and probably will use it on our second...unless something better comes out. :wink:
but yeah...i asked my dad about how adobe releases everything first, and if he cares..and he said he doesnt...he is still using photoshop 5.5 i think... :eek:
he just says that he tried the newer ones, but they didnt have anything new that he used on a regular basis, or didnt have a plugin for, so he didnt care...lol.
the mac we used to edit was a (i think dual) 700mhz g4 tower with gobs of hd space...so we could dump all our clips onto the computer at high res. in the end, we could have burned a dvd copy, in high res, but ran out of time...and didnt have time to "render" it in high res...
but that final cut pro program is SOOOOOO easy, and SOOOOOO quick. i was amazed...and could see why people would want a mac for video editing. but it didnt make me want one...

-DAvid

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Macs are for such a small niche market, the pro video peoples... But now with the new iMacs, they go for around $1799US. That's not all that bad, but I'll assume that is includes crap parts and like nothing good at all. The cool thing is they have one of those movable LCDs. They seem pretty cool. Also that is probably why Apple doesn't make all that much money. And they have some problem with the OSX or something like that. Can't really remember what was wrong. It was like you couldn't install Mac OSX on older Macs or something like that...

TRENDING THREADS