Added new 80 Gig to 8300, seems slow...HELP

Tman

I added a new HD to my 8300 dimenssion.

My Dimension 8300 has a barracuda (sp>) 80 Gig drive, I left that and the
new one in CS mode, installed the drive and it works.
It is just noticeably slower that the drive that came with the Dell.

Any ideas ? DMA is enabled....
TIA.

Tman

Did you go into the BIOS and change it from OFF to AUTO? If not, it will
work, but slowly.

Tom
"Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>I added a new HD to my 8300 dimenssion.
>
> My Dimension 8300 has a barracuda (sp>) 80 Gig drive, I left that and the
> new one in CS mode, installed the drive and it works.
> It is just noticeably slower that the drive that came with the Dell.
>
> Any ideas ? DMA is enabled....
> TIA.
>
> Tman

Tman

That was it!!!!

Wow, why do they not document that ?

Thanks again...

Tman
> Did you go into the BIOS and change it from OFF to AUTO? If not, it will
> work, but slowly.
>
> Tom
> "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>I added a new HD to my 8300 dimenssion.
>>
>> My Dimension 8300 has a barracuda (sp>) 80 Gig drive, I left that and the
>> new one in CS mode, installed the drive and it works.
>> It is just noticeably slower that the drive that came with the Dell.
>>
>> Any ideas ? DMA is enabled....
>> TIA.
>>
>> Tman

RTFM! <G>

> That was it!!!!
>

> Wow, why do they not document that ?

Tman

That's what I thought too, it is not in my manual....

Let me know the page on yours...

Tman
> RTFM! <G>
>
> "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> That was it!!!!
>>

>> Wow, why do they not document that ?

Off vs. Auto is a standard generic BIOS option for hard drives and CD-ROM
drives. But, yes, it would be good for it to be clearly documented so it could
be found easily... Ben Myers

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:15:26 GMT, "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote:

>That's what I thought too, it is not in my manual....
>

>Let me know the page on yours...
>

>Tman
>"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> RTFM! <G>
>>
>> "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>> That was it!!!!
>>>

>>> Wow, why do they not document that ?

The confusion is that it WORKS when it is OFF. That makes no sense!

Tom

> The confusion is that it WORKS when it is OFF. That makes no sense!
>
> Tom

How BIOS can initialize a drive that's "not there" (off or 'unknown') and
then Windows manages to not only see it, but utilize it - is an oddity.

I see this occasionally but not often, and usually with optical drives.

<shrug>

Stew